suits for OCI (for women)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
heyyitskatie

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby heyyitskatie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Any advice on a maximum heel height? My nice black leather heels are three inches (perhaps a bit over, but definitely not four). They are classy and definitely don't look like "going out" heels, but I'm 5'9 and don't want to scare potential short interviewers :) Should I spring for a shorter heel for OCI?

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:01 am

franklyscarlet wrote:So I know this got answered earlier as short sleeved jackets= no-no. I pretty much only own those right now, and they were ok for the creative field I worked in (Museums). Now that's I'm looking at Law, I know I need to get a long-sleeved suit. Any suggestions on where to get skirt suits for petite girls with REALLY narrow shoulders? I tried some on at Banana and Ann Taylor and I looked like a teenager playing dress-up. As in, the saleswoman asked me if I was trying out for my high school debate team. Ugh.

If you have a Dillards, Gianni Bini jackets have super narrow shoulders. Love that about them.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
anteater85 wrote:Are short sleeve jackets ok for OCI? I don't know why, but I get hot really easily, especially in pressure situations. It's not a matter of being nervous - I actually do well with interviews/speeches/etc, but I think I'd start sweating if I were to wear a full long sleeved suit. I have the following and a matching skirt:
http://reviews.thelimited.com/9023/2219 ... ffiliation

I'm also debating pair a work dress from the limited (cream silky top with a black suit material bottom) with a black blazer (possibly short sleeved), but it may be too will probably nix it for being too "sexy".

So I know this got answered earlier as short sleeved jackets= no-no. I pretty much only own those right now, and they were ok for the creative field I worked in (Museums). Now that's I'm looking at Law, I know I need to get a long-sleeved suit. Any suggestions on where to get skirt suits for petite girls with REALLY narrow shoulders? I tried some on at Banana and Ann Taylor and I looked like a teenager playing dress-up. As in, the saleswoman asked me if I was trying out for my high school debate team. Ugh.

Were you in the Ann Taylor petite section or regular section? If you were in the regular section, try the petites next time and you might get a better fit.

However, if you have $$$ to spend or can find an outlet nearby, try Theory (if no outlet and you're willing to pay, I know they sell that brand at Bloomingdale's).

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:43 am

heyyitskatie wrote:Any advice on a maximum heel height? My nice black leather heels are three inches (perhaps a bit over, but definitely not four). They are classy and definitely don't look like "going out" heels, but I'm 5'9 and don't want to scare potential short interviewers :) Should I spring for a shorter heel for OCI?

If you're in NY, those should be fine based on what I saw female attorneys wear. I'm friends with one of the partners I worked with (the one who was on the recruiting committee, actually) and have seen her extensive shoe closet. It's almost entirely comprised of shoes with 3"-4" heels. I'm not sure if other cities are more conservative, though.
As for the height difference, I think that'll be so variable based on the specific people interviewing you. It might be useful to have a pair of kitten heels just in case you work with an attorney with a Napoleon complex (or know ahead of time you'll be interviewing with one ;)).

keg411 wrote:
Were you in the Ann Taylor petite section or regular section? If you were in the regular section, try the petites next time and you might get a better fit.

However, if you have $$$ to spend or can find an outlet nearby, try Theory (if no outlet and you're willing to pay, I know they sell that brand at Bloomingdale's).

Ditto both of these. They also sell Theory at Nordstrom if you're in a non-Theory outlet / non-Theory stand-alone / non-Bloomingdale's city like me. ;)

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm

keg411 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
anteater85 wrote:Are short sleeve jackets ok for OCI? I don't know why, but I get hot really easily, especially in pressure situations. It's not a matter of being nervous - I actually do well with interviews/speeches/etc, but I think I'd start sweating if I were to wear a full long sleeved suit. I have the following and a matching skirt:
http://reviews.thelimited.com/9023/2219 ... ffiliation

I'm also debating pair a work dress from the limited (cream silky top with a black suit material bottom) with a black blazer (possibly short sleeved), but it may be too will probably nix it for being too "sexy".

So I know this got answered earlier as short sleeved jackets= no-no. I pretty much only own those right now, and they were ok for the creative field I worked in (Museums). Now that's I'm looking at Law, I know I need to get a long-sleeved suit. Any suggestions on where to get skirt suits for petite girls with REALLY narrow shoulders? I tried some on at Banana and Ann Taylor and I looked like a teenager playing dress-up. As in, the saleswoman asked me if I was trying out for my high school debate team. Ugh.

In petites. Ugh. I just have the world's weirdest torso- long enough to fit weirdly in petites but with shoulders way too narrow for regular sizes. I'm basically petite sized in pants and skirts and WTF sized in shirts. I'll try theory- thanks!

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 am

I haven't seen this in the thread, but I would say if it is possible to ALWAYS buy the skirt and the pants with the jacket. You never know when that fabric will be discontinued and then you're out of luck.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:Any advice on a maximum heel height? My nice black leather heels are three inches (perhaps a bit over, but definitely not four). They are classy and definitely don't look like "going out" heels, but I'm 5'9 and don't want to scare potential short interviewers :) Should I spring for a shorter heel for OCI?

I wear 2-3 inch heels all the time and I'm 6'1" without them. An inch or two of height isn't going to be a big deal.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:10 pm

I've just accepted I'm going to need to make friends with a tailor.
I'm short (5'2"), but petites are not cut correctly for me (rise is too short on pants, though the inseam is good, shoulders and chest too narrow though sleeve length is good.)

So< have to buy regular sizes, and hem sleeves and legs, and possibly shorten jackets so they hit at the right spot. Ugh.

Nordstrom Rack had a lot of theory suit pieces the last time I was in there, a couple weeks ago, good prices.

On the plus side, no worries about shoe height! :D

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Would it be bad to wear flats? Specifically very nice pointed toe flats? The ones I own look exactly like a pair of black pumps but are flats just slightly lifted in the heel. I can't wear high heels unless they are fairly low wedges after having a foot surgery a few year ago. Will not having heels on hurt me? I am about 5'3-5'4 fwiw.

Little_engine

Postby Little_engine » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Another point about the pantyhose dilemma.
I do mock trial and most of our judges are either real judges or attorneys and I've seen a few of girls get deducted for not wearing pantyhose. Yes, I realize it's mock trial and not a real life job or an interview, but given that these attorneys are making such a big deal about it, and they're the ones hiring us, I err on the side of caution and always wear pantyhose. Ditto about wearing a skirt-suit over a pantsuit.
My reasoning is that you're never going to rub anyone the wrong way when you wear pantyhose or a skirt, but you may just get the one stickler who actually cares if you don't.

Anyway, this thread is amazing.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm

So I know we are off the shoe topic but just to throw out there I actually emailed my career services lady (about some other things too- im not THAT type A) and she said patent was fine for OCI as long as the shoes are otherwise very conservative.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm

I didn't even realize Brooks Brothers made women's suits until today, so I went to their website. Maybe it's just me, but I was amazed at how awful all the suits look. Every single photo looks like a flight attendant from 1992.
Considering their prices, I think BB will be low on my list when I start shopping for my first suit. :?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... ion_Id=374
And what's with the models leaning sideways in that awkward way? They look like they have scoliosis. Whoever was in charge of that photo shoot should be fired.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Dear god those are terrible. That one two-button black wool one is just okay, and the rest are horrible. Yikes, BB.

JFo

Postby JFo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I didn't even realize Brooks Brothers made women's suits until today, so I went to their website. Maybe it's just me, but I was amazed at how awful all the suits look. Every single photo looks like a flight attendant from 1992.
Considering their prices, I think BB will be low on my list when I start shopping for my first suit. :?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... ion_Id=374
And what's with the models leaning sideways in that awkward way? They look like they have scoliosis. Whoever was in charge of that photo shoot should be fired.

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously. I think Scully wore this in the first season of The X-Files: --LinkRemoved--

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 pm

JFo wrote:Seriously. I think Scully wore this in the first season of The X-Files: --LinkRemoved--

I thought that was one of the better ones! What the shit is this?? --LinkRemoved--

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
JFo wrote:Seriously. I think Scully wore this in the first season of The X-Files: --LinkRemoved--

I thought that was one of the better ones! What the shit is this?? --LinkRemoved--

That is the worst thing I have ever seen. This is why women don't shop at BB :lol:.

JFo

Postby JFo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

I was trying not to insult Scully too much. She, at least, usually went for neutrals.

Found it!

--ImageRemoved--

Look at the hem on the pants! Look at it! My eyes are burning...

ETA: Just realized the one you linked has a matching pleated A-line skirt. That's an entirely new level of no.
Last edited by JFo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:48 am

these suits... they hurt me.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 am

May I ask for opinion on a new suit to invest in? I already own a Theory suit in black which costs an arm and a leg, but fits perfectly. I'm thinking of getting the same suit in a different color, either Charcoal (dark grey) or Indigo (very dark navy): http://www.theory.com/womens-jackets-ga ... lt,pd.html

Charcoal would be idea but I already own one with similar color from Ann Taylor. My question is do you think the Indigo color looks okay? I've read some resistance to navy on this thread, but this one is so dark that I hope it doesn't evoke the flight attendant feel. Thanks much!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:53 am

musketeerlady wrote:May I ask for opinion on a new suit to invest in? I already own a Theory suit in black which costs an arm and a leg, but fits perfectly. I'm thinking of getting the same suit in a different color, either Charcoal (dark grey) or Indigo (very dark navy): http://www.theory.com/womens-jackets-ga ... lt,pd.html

Charcoal would be idea but I already own one with similar color from Ann Taylor. My question is do you think the Indigo color looks okay? I've read some resistance to navy on this thread, but this one is so dark that I hope it doesn't evoke the flight attendant feel. Thanks much!

It seems really dark, almost black on screen. I'd give it a pass.
As an aside, I would give anyone $20 cold if they were able to prove that model is not an 11-year-old British boy.

Our suits are'a gettin' 'n upgrade, boys!

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Is it really faux pas to wear mismatched jacket and pants/skirt? I've seen a few women in NYC wearing pinstriped jackets with solid colored pants/skirts, but I've never gotten an official fashion verdict on this.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 pm

jjlaw wrote:Is it really faux pas to wear mismatched jacket and pants/skirt? I've seen a few women in NYC wearing pinstriped jackets with solid colored pants/skirts, but I've never gotten an official fashion verdict on this.

I wouldn't take chances with interviews. When you start working it's a different story and will depend on your firm.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Is a chocolate brown/greyish/dark taupe suit ok for OCI?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Just a 0L so this isn't an OCI opinion, but that color sounds... not good in general.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Dany wrote:Just a 0L so this isn't an OCI opinion, but that color sounds... not good in general.

Agreed, and also a 0L...but I've been out of undergrad for a few years.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”