Are Full Time Students Upset w/ Part-time students w/r/t GPA Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
iheartlaw

Bronze

Are Full Time Students Upset w/ Part-time students w/r/t GPA

Post by iheartlaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Hey guys,

At my school the trending topic appears to be that most if not ALL full time students strongly dislike if not hate part-time students who go through their 1L in the PT program then take summer classes and switch in to the full time. This is because after the PT'ers 1L they can transfer into FT and bring their GPA with them, somewhat displacing members from full time who may be ranked within a certain percentile. They especially hate Part Timers who are in the program and DO NOT work, even though say in a class of 90, roughly 45 work, and that it essentially creates an unfair advantage as far as competition goes by not having as difficult of competition because half of their colleagues in their section work 20-40 hours a week. I just wanted to see how you guys felt about this? Why hasn't the ABA mandated that students work in order to be in PT, is it because it is nearly impossible to regulate? (some people get laid off / fired .. should they have to quit law school because of that?) How does your school feel about this, assuming you go to a school with both FT and PT programs. Just wanted to hear ya'll out. Thanks in advance.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Re: Are Full Time Students Upset w/ Part-time students w/r/t GPA

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:41 pm

It doesn't really bother me. At my school, it is easier to get into the PT than the FT program. If someone could get in PT, but wanted FT then I am not going to fault them for focusing their energy on their academics and being able to transfer to FT.

I am not sure if the advantage of someone who is PT and does not work is "unfair". There's always going to be someone who has some advantage over you, but that's just life.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:15 pm

wow. find something more important to focus on.

No one goes PT to get an advantage, in fact, PT'ers often have significant reasons/disadvantages for going PT, reasons an FT wouldn't want to shoulder: financial, family, health, commute etc.

Hate is a strong word.

24secure

New

Post by 24secure » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 pm

i didnt know people actually cared about that sort of thing.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:48 pm

TL;DR, get a fucking life if part-time to full-time transfers bother you.

This is the same idiocy transfer students to a new school face.

Newsflash: if the transfer ends up getting a better GPA than you, it could be luck, it could be that he's better than you at law school, it could be that the professor had more scotch before he graded the part-timer's exam. Get the fuck over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 pm

[insert irrational overreaction here]

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Yo Part time student.. I just talked to full time student and he is fucking pissed and looking for you...

But seriously, is your life so empty and unimportant that this matters to you? This is why people hate lawyers..

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 pm

this is why people hate people
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:56 pm

haha i'm not sure if this turned in to attacking me. but i am a part time student. so i am not the one complaining. i just wanted to see if it's only my school that feels this way, or if other school's full time students feel the same way.

Scarletlady

New

Post by Scarletlady » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:15 pm

At the end of the day most PT programs have the same professors teach in the evening as they do in the day programs. PTers are just another section of any given 1L class. And if PTers are willing to work hard enough to do the full-time switch, that should be commended.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”