Contacting Firm as a OL (old) / Personal JX (new topic) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
APHill

Bronze

Contacting Firm as a OL (old) / Personal JX (new topic)

Post by APHill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 pm

I live, attend school and want to work for a firm in the same market. I am hoping to land a 1L internship during summer '11. Would it be smart to contact regional recruiter now and express my interest?

badfish

Silver

Re: Contacting Firm as a OL

Post by badfish » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:22 pm

APHill wrote:I live, attend school and want to work for a firm in the same market. I am hoping to land a 1L internship during summer '11. Would it be smart to contact regional recruiter now and express my interest?
they won't care

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:29 pm

you mean it would not be good or bad? I am only worried about if it would be bad, but otherwise if it is not likely to do any good I still want to take a cjance and try to get in touch.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:30 pm

badfish wrote:
APHill wrote:I live, attend school and want to work for a firm in the same market. I am hoping to land a 1L internship during summer '11. Would it be smart to contact regional recruiter now and express my interest?
they won't care
You're so courteous, bf.

OP: expect major ridicule for this thread.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:31 pm

why? or is this question funny also?

I have a lot of quality work experience and am a CPA.
Last edited by APHill on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 pm

APHill wrote:why? or is this question funny also?
There may be hope for you yet.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:36 pm

My point is - you cannot contact firms during first 4 months in law school. I am trying to pop on the radar for a second and then re-express interest and when first semester grades are in.

Can you please explain in detail why this idea is so ridiculous? I am not saying that it will help me land a job, but hope that there is .0001% chance it will increase my chances, and am willing to try.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:37 pm

APHill wrote:My point is - you cannot contact firms during first 4 months in law school. I am trying to pop on the radar for a second and then re-express interest and when first semester grades are in.

Can you please explain in detail why this idea is so ridiculous? I am not saying that it will help me land a job, but hope that there is .0001% chance it will increase my chances, and am willing to try.
dude, they won't care. if you go to a top school there will be recruiting events all through second semester. you could go to all of those and chum up with partners and associates and they still won't care. all they will care about is your grades after 1L. seriously, they won't care if you throw them a phone call or a few emails before your 1L year.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I think your time would be better spent on 0L prep.

Besides, you're a CPA. That will give you the advantage over your fellow students possible come OCI. Assuming you have grades. Which you don't, yet. See BF's post re: grades and how they're they only thing that matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:41 pm

I can you right now, if my coworkers caught wind of an 0L contacting one of our recruiters to "express interest," we would have some hilarious conversations about said 0L for months.

That's why it's a ridiculous question.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:I can you right now, if my coworkers caught wind of an 0L contacting one of our recruiters to "express interest," we would have some hilarious conversations about said 0L for months.

I was wondering about contacting a SD firm about how I can try to get into the market there coming from the east coast. I want to work in SD and will go to LS on the other coast. That seems more like advice seeking than expressing interest. How do you think that would be perceived?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Mattalones wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:I can you right now, if my coworkers caught wind of an 0L contacting one of our recruiters to "express interest," we would have some hilarious conversations about said 0L for months.

I was wondering about contacting a SD firm about how I can try to get into the market there coming from the east coast. I want to work in SD and will go to LS on the other coast. That seems more like advice seeking than expressing interest. How do you think that would be perceived?
Kiersten is spot-on.

Do you have any preexisting contacts with said firm? If not, it's going to be perceived as expressing interest. That said, good advice is good advice, no matter the source.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 pm

I doubt your co-workers would get wind of it, because I would contact a recruiter, not an employee.

I have bought all the books for first semester (the books which will actually be used in my sections) and have covered 300 pages already, so thank you for the 0L prep hint.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:07 pm

APHill wrote:I have bought all the books for first semester (the books which will actually be used in my sections) and have covered 300 pages already, so thank you for the 0L prep hint.
Whoa.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 pm

First, even though you're not a 1L yet, you clearly will be. There are specific rules about these sort of contacts, and you're purposely trying to game the system. Seems like a gray area, I would not do it.
Second, recruiters have co-workers, and yes - you probably will get made fun of.
Third, they don't care about you. They don't even care about you post December 1. It is a waste of time to contact them, and will not have a beneficial result. No one likes a gunner.
Fourth, if you're worried about the market, contact your school's career center about general prospects, other students going into firms you're interested in, etc. You can't really get specific, because they also wont help you until they're allowed to (I can't remember what that date is). You also might be able to get access to their alumni database assuming you've committed to the school, in which case you can e-mail alumni in your target area. This will also be more beneficial than contacting a recruiter w/ no interest.
Fifth, you are insane for reading your law text books already. Professors pick and choose what they want you to know, and by going outside of your potential reading area, you are really only hurting yourself. You're wasting time on unimportant issues that will not help you (you don't get points on exams for discussing things that weren't taught). As for 0L prep in general, its debatable whether its truly helpful. I'd say at most read GTM. Relax!

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:48 pm

thanks, i already got an idea that contacting anyone b4 1L OCI is not good idea. In terms of reading textbooks - it is not work for me, it is really enjoyable in fact. I know I will cover a lot more material than necessary, but if I cover 100% and they teach 70%, the 70% of the material will still be a review for me while it will be all new for most other students.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm

APHill wrote:thanks, i already got an idea that contacting anyone b4 1L OCI is not good idea. In terms of reading textbooks - it is not work for me, it is really enjoyable in fact. I know I will cover a lot more material than necessary, but if I cover 100% and they teach 70%, the 70% of the material will still be a review for me while it will be all new for most other students.

Do you...have friends? Hobbies? You have three years of law school to read textbooks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:56 pm

A.P. Hill?

Last edited by Grizz on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:59 pm

i bet your insecure/gunnerish because you are going to a t3

ja57047

New

Post by ja57047 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:05 pm

I got this from webmd...

"Asperger's syndrome is a lifelong condition, although it tends to stabilize over time, and improvements are often seen. Adults usually obtain a better understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses. They are able to learn social skills and how to read others' social cues. Many people with Asperger's syndrome marry and have children.

Some traits that are typical of Asperger's syndrome, such as attention to detail and focused interests, can increase chances of university and career success. Many people with Asperger's seem to be fascinated with technology, and a common career choice is engineering. But scientific careers are by no means the only areas where people with Asperger's excel. Indeed, many respected historical figures have had symptoms of Asperger's, including Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, and Thomas Jefferson. "

You can have a very happy and productive life. Good Luck!!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Mattalones wrote: I was wondering about contacting a SD firm about how I can try to get into the market there coming from the east coast. I want to work in SD and will go to LS on the other coast. That seems more like advice seeking than expressing interest. How do you think that would be perceived?
If they even respond they will ask you why you went to school on the east coast if you want to work in SD. If you have a good reason, like you are going to T6, then you don't need to contact them b/c you can practice where you want. So... not beneficial.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AtticusFinch

New

Post by AtticusFinch » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:07 pm

APHill wrote:I doubt your co-workers would get wind of it, because I would contact a recruiter, not an employee.

I have bought all the books for first semester (the books which will actually be used in my sections) and have covered 300 pages already, so thank you for the 0L prep hint.
I have an OL prep hint, work on your grammar.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

APHill wrote: If I cover 100% and they teach 70%, the 70% of the material will still be a review for me while it will be all new for most other students.
haha. thanks for brightening a dreary sunday afternoon in the library for me.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Have you bought your rolling backpack yet?

ja57047

New

Post by ja57047 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Have you bought your rolling backpack yet?
:D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”