Most Annoying Things to Happen to You as a Law Student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
annapavlova

Re: Most Annoying Things to Happen to You as a Law Student

Postby annapavlova » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm

engineer wrote:
annapavlova wrote:People who came to law school on a whim at the last minute because they hated their jobs, but don't really have a general interest or passion for the law.

Also, people who come to law school with no knowledge of politics or how the government works generally, so in con law, they ask stupid questions.

Outlining for con law.

Con Law.

or, 1Ls who think they know everything about the government, how it works, and like to point out their intellectual supremacy by chiding those whose undergraduate careers did not teach them the federal court hierarchy.

Using that extreme does not serve your argument.

You shouldn't be taught in law school who Ken Starr is and whether Ginsburg is liberal or conservative - you should know this by living in the world and having adequate observation skills. I would like someone to know that there are distinct Articles and Amendments to the Constitution BEFORE attending higher(est). It's sad.

engineer

Postby engineer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:33 pm

annapavlova wrote:
engineer wrote:
annapavlova wrote:People who came to law school on a whim at the last minute because they hated their jobs, but don't really have a general interest or passion for the law.

Also, people who come to law school with no knowledge of politics or how the government works generally, so in con law, they ask stupid questions.

Outlining for con law.

Con Law.

or, 1Ls who think they know everything about the government, how it works, and like to point out their intellectual supremacy by chiding those whose undergraduate careers did not teach them the federal court hierarchy.

You shouldn't be taught in law school who Ken Starr is and whether Ginsburg is liberal or conservative - you should know this by living in the world and having adequate observation skills. I would like someone to know that there are distinct Articles and Amendments to the Constitution BEFORE attending higher(est). It's sad.

Um... I don't see why any of that matters. You go to law school to learn the law, and you enter politics to play the whose-dick-is-bigger game. Personally, I think that everyone should know that the derivative of exp(x) is exp(x), but I'm not making a big deal about it.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:01 pm

engineer wrote:
annapavlova wrote:
engineer wrote:

Outlining for con law.

Con Law.

Um... I don't see why any of that matters. You go to law school to learn the law, and you enter politics to play the whose-dick-is-bigger game. Personally, I think that everyone should know that the derivative of exp(x) is exp(x), but I'm not making a big deal about it.

The bolded is the most frequently assumed and false proposition in law school. You go to law school to learn how think about the law and then they tell you to go study for the bar so you learn the law. Law school as much a dick measuring contest as politics.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:

The bolded is the most frequently assumed and false proposition in law school. You go to law school to learn how think about the law and then they tell you to go study for the bar so you learn the law. Law school as much a dick measuring contest as politics.[/quote]

clearly not measuring the same dick though, right?

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

engineer wrote:
annapavlova wrote:
engineer wrote:

Outlining for con law.

Con Law.

Sigh...you don't know who Ken Starr is either, huh?

engineer

Postby engineer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
engineer wrote:Um... I don't see why any of that matters. You go to law school to learn the law, and you enter politics to play the whose-dick-is-bigger game. Personally, I think that everyone should know that the derivative of exp(x) is exp(x), but I'm not making a big deal about it.

The bolded is the most frequently assumed and false proposition in law school. You go to law school to learn how think about the law and then they tell you to go study for the bar so you learn the law. Law school as much a dick measuring contest as politics.

Sorry, you are correct. I wrote that in class, and probably should've expanding a little more, since it's one of my biggest pet peeves when people say "the law," anyway. I feel like it's akin to writing, "I want to to go to law school because I love the law," in a personal statement. You don't go to law school to learn the facts and the rules used in deciding Palsgraf or Erie.. you're there to learn the reasoning. With that in mind, I don't think that slip up necessarily detracted from my overall argument.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 am

annapavlova wrote:

nope. on the other hand, i do know who rachel starr is.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:21 am

The haters. I'm not in law school yet, but it has already started.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:12 am

bighead715 wrote:
annapavlova wrote:

nope. on the other hand, i do know who rachel starr is.

:shock: monica lewinsky, raging religious zealot, defended prop 8?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDforme19

Postby JDforme19 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:40 am

the fatties...I mean come on would it kill you to spend a few hours at the gym and eat right so I don't have to stare at your disgusting rolls in class?

you guys make me sick.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:43 am

JDforme19 wrote:the fatties...I mean come on would it kill you to spend a few hours at the gym and eat right so I don't have to stare at your disgusting rolls in class?

you guys make me sick.

Maybe they are just "big-boned." haha

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I pass failed an extremely difficult gunner BLL course, think fed courts, admin, etc.. Sent an email to the professor the next semester asking to go over my exam; would have gotten an A.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”