Most Annoying Things to Happen to You as a Law Student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A'nold

Re: Most Annoying Things to Happen to You as a Law Student

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:32 pm

engineer wrote:
A'nold wrote:By far the worst things about law school:

Exam word limits
Participation grade threats
Graded LRW or even just LRW
Arrogant tenured prof.'s

There are more.

This. Times infinity raised to the infinite power. Every time someone mentions LRW, I flip out because my profs seem to think that grading a 30-person class on a curve is somehow statistically significant. They might as well just throw all of our memos/briefs into giant bowl, smoke it, and then arbitrarily assign grades.

Yelp, I'm with you.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am

Our LRW classes are very small. Mine has 9 people in it. And yes, LRW is "curved." We are supposedly section-stacked based on admission index score, but STILL. It's ridiculous, and takes up way too much time for the amount of credit it's worth. :evil:

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 am

I don't know what recreational reading is anymore bus it sounds like a trap.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 am

0L here, and I can say that I think threads like this will annoy me next year. I cannot speak to the level of work that is necessary, but I can imagine it will get annoying to hear people complain about it all the time.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 am

Just waking up and going to class, blah

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am

CG614 wrote:0L here, and I can say that I think threads like this will annoy me next year. I cannot speak to the level of work that is necessary, but I can imagine it will get annoying to hear people complain about it all the time.

Yes, the level of whinery is almost worst than the actual workload (which is ultimately manageable).

Dman

Postby Dman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:31 am

CG614 wrote:0L here, and I can say that I think threads like this will annoy me next year. I cannot speak to the level of work that is necessary, but I can imagine it will get annoying to hear people complain about it all the time.

When you are doing the work, you will also likely want to vent once in a while. LRW is a common phenomenon that pretty much is a major time sink verse credit received at all schools. Add in the fact you are curved in a very small pool of people, the time necessary to maintain a decent grade becomes even more burdensome.

My vent is ALWD, no one actually uses ALWD in practice, and even our school journals use Bluebook. Yet we are forced to do citations in ALWD...hate....ALWD...
Last edited by Dman on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ipsa Dixit

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 am

Complaining about law school is pretty much the national pastime of law students.

Meanwhile, one annoying thing about being a law student: listening to the hubris/"wisdom" of 0Ls.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 am

Ipsa Dixit wrote:

Complaining about law school is pretty much the national pastime of law students.

Meanwhile, one annoying thing about being a law student: listening to the hubris/"wisdom" of 0Ls.

Well played, sir, well played.

Ipsa Dixit

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 am

My vent is ALWD, no one actually uses ALWD in practice, and even our school journals use Bluebook. Yet we are forced to do citations in ALWD...hate....ALWD...

Amen.

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:04 pm

People who came to law school on a whim at the last minute because they hated their jobs, but don't really have a general interest or passion for the law.

Also, people who come to law school with no knowledge of politics or how the government works generally, so in con law, they ask stupid questions.

Outlining for con law.

Con Law.

ugchicago

Postby ugchicago » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Getting letters from Direct Loans is pretty damn annoying. Look, I know I am going to owe a boatload of money, you don't need to remind me constantly with three letters on the same day.

Stupid letters... :?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:32 pm

ugchicago wrote:Getting letters from Direct Loans is pretty damn annoying. Look, I know I am going to owe a boatload of money, you don't need to remind me constantly with three letters on the same day.

Stupid letters... :?

Good call. Yeah, I always have to double check each one to make sure it says "on deferment."

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 pm

annapavlova wrote:People who came to law school on a whim at the last minute because they hated their jobs, but don't really have a general interest or passion for the law.

Also, people who come to law school with no knowledge of politics or how the government works generally, so in con law, they ask stupid questions.

Outlining for con law.

Con Law.

or, 1Ls who think they know everything about the government, how it works, and like to point out their intellectual supremacy by chiding those whose undergraduate careers did not teach them the federal court hierarchy.

rando

Postby rando » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 pm

annapavlova wrote:People who came to law school on a whim at the last minute because they hated their jobs, but don't really have a general interest or passion for the law.

Ha. You would hate me on both counts.

Belili

Postby Belili » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 pm

The Yankees won the world series.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm

"Well, I majored in psychology as an undergrad, which entitles me to offer my retarded opinion on mens rea and waste everyone's time..."

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Cavalier wrote:"Well, I majored in psychology as an undergrad, which entitles me to offer my retarded opinion on mens rea and waste everyone's time..."

No joke, we have someone in our section who prefaced her mens rea argument with, "Well, I was a psychology major in undergrad, so..."

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 pm

As annoying as they may be, they won't (if there's any justice) do well, and they'll only serve to raise your class rank.

JMD.USMC

Postby JMD.USMC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 pm

engineer wrote:
Cavalier wrote:"Well, I majored in psychology as an undergrad, which entitles me to offer my retarded opinion on mens rea and waste everyone's time..."

No joke, we have someone in our section who prefaced her mens rea argument with, "Well, I was a psychology major in undergrad, so..."

Worse,
we've got one who ALWAYS starts his comments with "Well, as a political science major, I've dealt with this topic quite often and it leads me to believe that......"

Or after another student makes a point and the Prof does not agree, he goes with
"Well, what I think Mr./Ms. so-and-so is TRYING to say is........" and pretty much EVERY time he is completely wrong about the point the person is trying to make.

drives me up the walls

helvidius2010

Postby helvidius2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 pm

3L

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 am

I should start prefacing everything I say with "well, as a music education major..."

engineer

Postby engineer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:11 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I should start prefacing everything I say with "well, as a music education major..."

That reminds me of a funny case in torts last semester... we were covering the scoliosis case (Uhr v. East Greenbush Sch. Dist.) and I got cold-called... I said something like "I mean, the parents were relying on the medical advice of a gym teacher........." in an insanely sarcastic tone. I didn't realize we had a physical education major in our class...

rando

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:15 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

As annoying as they may be, they won't (if there's any justice) do well, and they'll only serve to raise your class rank.

You will learn soon that there is no justice (kidding...sort of). You will also learn that not everyone goes into law school with a burning passion to be a lawyer, just like dentists, doctors, and other professional degrees. Even if you wanted to go to law school since you were 12, you certainly have no more right to the profession than anyone else.
ehh, i'm just bored and trying to pick a fight, sorry. feel free to ignore.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:13 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Mostly other students, sadly. The workload is a bit overwhelming, but other students talking about their outlines, their supplements, practice exams is a bit tiresome. I for one have more interesting things to talk about.

And also being called a corporate whore a grant total of 4 times. I could do without that.

But my biggest "annoyance" is non-school related - being in a really really long distance relationship.

+1 to all of that. Except I am in a short-long distance relationship - 75mi. bleh

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”