Should I tryout for Moot Court or Trial Advocacy?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Aukshell

Should I tryout for Moot Court or Trial Advocacy?

Postby Aukshell » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 pm

I'm currently a 1L. If I wanted to get a 2L summer job with a DA's office would it be better to tryout for my school's Moot Court team or the Trial Advocacy Team? I would imagine those that hire in the DA's office would be more impressed by seeing Trial Advocacy (because it provides trial experience as opposed to appellate experience), however I have been hearing that Moot Court is actually looked upon more favorably by the DA's office simply because it is more prestigious. Does anyone know?

Grad_Student

Re: Should I tryout for Moot Court or Trial Advocacy?

Postby Grad_Student » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 am

Depends on where you are located, what school you attend, all of that jazz. The DA down here loves if you have mock trial although I find it worthless b/c it's about scoring points and not actually getting a guilty verdict.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:09 pm

At my school one of the head deputies of the DA's office is the faculty adviser for the Trial Advocacy Honors Program. Even if the Moot Court team at your school is one of the best, I would still counsel someone in your shoes to do Trial Advocacy instead. If you are really committed to becoming a trial lawyer, you want to start developing those skills asap.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm

If possible, do both.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”