JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Philo38 wrote:That probably explains it. I think they should let them go for free, there is hardly a more valuable addition to your students education than to have a senior in your class.


In some states you can. For SC public schools state residents over 60 aren't charged tuition, assuming there is space in the class, you qualify for admission, and you're not employed full time. There was a woman doing that in my beginning acting class. :lol:

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 am

Mattalones wrote:

This is Nuckin' Futs!


I know! If I was this guy I would spend my spare time going to job interviews just for the look on their faces.

You're . . . you're a bit over-qualified . . .

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby jcl2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 pm



How is he "not an A student" after 27 degrees. You'd think he would have it figured out by now.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Collecting degrees sounds like a better hobby than other things you could do with your spare time.

Edit: I intend to pick up a few associate's along the way--I know for a fact I'm going to get a culinary degree of some kind, for example.

I also plan to pick up an LLM or two, if I can pull it off through correspondance work (see: the NYU tax LLM, though you apparently have to be able to show up to classes for some portion of the program, but not most of it). Probably pick up LLMs in Tax and Bankruptcy.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby engineer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm doing a JD/Ph.D., but the Ph.D. (in electrical engineering) will be after I get my JD, so I guess it's not a joint degree. I don't know why on earth anyone would want to get all four: JD/MBA has a lot of overlap (pick one or the other) and MD/Ph.D. can have a lot of overlap (pick one or the other). If you combine law/business with science/medicine, you're more likely to end up as a consultant than anything else. You won't be practicing law three days of the week and practicing medicine two days. It doesn't work that way.

As someone above mentioned, doing that condemns you to being a jack of all trades, master of none. Unless you're absurdly wealthy and you're just doing it for kicks, max out at two advanced degrees.

As a side note, with the dilution of college degrees causing them to be as compulsory as a high school diploma (and with the diploma being a "given," like graduating middle school), I think we will be seeing a lot more people getting double graduate degrees in the future.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby billyez » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:18 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Collecting degrees sounds like a better hobby than other things you could do with your spare time.

Edit: I intend to pick up a few associate's along the way--I know for a fact I'm going to get a culinary degree of some kind, for example.

I also plan to pick up an LLM or two, if I can pull it off through correspondance work (see: the NYU tax LLM, though you apparently have to be able to show up to classes for some portion of the program, but not most of it). Probably pick up LLMs in Tax and Bankruptcy.


Note that many of the LLM programs I've looked up have said that they don't take people who already have an LLM.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:38 am

billyez wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Collecting degrees sounds like a better hobby than other things you could do with your spare time.

Edit: I intend to pick up a few associate's along the way--I know for a fact I'm going to get a culinary degree of some kind, for example.

I also plan to pick up an LLM or two, if I can pull it off through correspondance work (see: the NYU tax LLM, though you apparently have to be able to show up to classes for some portion of the program, but not most of it). Probably pick up LLMs in Tax and Bankruptcy.


Note that many of the LLM programs I've looked up have said that they don't take people who already have an LLM.


Did you really just tell somebody to "note" something?

Van Wilder- "write that down."

User avatar
evilxs
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby evilxs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:35 pm

engineer wrote: JD/MBA has a lot of overlap (pick one or the other)



I completely disagree. Not much in my MBA program (international finance) had anything to do with law..... :shock: The overlap if any was minimal.

Edit: Once finished with law school I'll have the whole JD MBA CPA thing going on. I think that is enough alphabet soup.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:51 pm

billyez wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Collecting degrees sounds like a better hobby than other things you could do with your spare time.

Edit: I intend to pick up a few associate's along the way--I know for a fact I'm going to get a culinary degree of some kind, for example.

I also plan to pick up an LLM or two, if I can pull it off through correspondance work (see: the NYU tax LLM, though you apparently have to be able to show up to classes for some portion of the program, but not most of it). Probably pick up LLMs in Tax and Bankruptcy.


Note that many of the LLM programs I've looked up have said that they don't take people who already have an LLM.


Tax LLM from NYU it would be, then.

Again though, it's just alphabet soup. Most large firms pay for their people to obtain relevant LLMs if it can be done via correspondance. I won't pay for it myself. I absolutely will get a culinary degree at some point though, just to have it--I can think of few better uses of hobby money than getting a degree that results in being able to cook amazing food.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: JD/MD/MBA/PHD? What can I do w/ it? Anyone pursuing or know

Postby engineer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Again though, it's just alphabet soup. Most large firms pay for their people to obtain relevant LLMs if it can be done via correspondance. I won't pay for it myself. I absolutely will get a culinary degree at some point though, just to have it--I can think of few better uses of hobby money than getting a degree that results in being able to cook amazing food.


I totally agree with you. I love cooking, and would LOVE to take culinary school night classes. Hell, I might look into that during my 2L/3L years...I mean, law really isn't that hard..

I actually did something similar in undergrad- I went to engineering school classes during the day and took paramedic classes at night. Someone who can sue, cook, build, AND save lives? Ladies, I will begin accepting date applications on May 7.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fantasyfreak294 and 6 guests