If only one...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

If only one...

Postby corporatelaw87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 pm

If you could only have one which would you rather have, a case summary book keyed to your case book, or a hornbook? Lets be honest supps are expensive, and we're all trying to get maximum utility for our dollar.

Re: If only one...

Postby 270910 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Pro tip: every case ever decided is briefed on both lexis and westlaw, availible to you for free. Keyed case briefs are the biggest joke in the supplement business. Read the damn cases, and if you need help use the summaries available online.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am

disco_barred wrote:Pro tip: every case ever decided is briefed on both lexis and westlaw, availible to you for free. Keyed case briefs are the biggest joke in the supplement business. Read the damn cases, and if you need help use the summaries available online.

This.

I bought keyed case summaries at the recommendation of a 2L who did very well. Biggest pieces of crap I have ever purchased. As a 1L, I think I understand the cases better than whoever is writing these case summaries. At times, I question whether the writer of the case summaries even has a legal education -- summaries miss important elements and sometimes get the rule to be taken from case completely wrong.

There are a lot better summaries on Westlaw, Lexis -- even on many internet sites (http://www.lawschoolcasebriefs.com)

Ignatius J. Reilly

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Keyed case briefs are a waste of money. If you're not gonna read the case, you can just get your briefs off of Lexis or Westlaw, plus any number of other internet sites.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 pm

How do you get these briefs off of Westlaw?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”