Approaching law school advice compilation Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Approaching law school advice compilation

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:32 am

I'm trying to find some in depth posts from people who finished near the top of their class about approaching law school. I know off the top of my head there is that article "doing well in law school: a unique approach" from the NYU guy, and that thread by arrow (that I can't find), but if we could compile at least links to a handful of those threads I think that would be awesome.

lawman2010

Bronze

Re: Approaching law school advice compilation

Post by lawman2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:50 am

adh07d wrote:I'm trying to find some in depth posts from people who finished near the top of their class about approaching law school. I know off the top of my head there is that article "doing well in law school: a unique approach" from the NYU guy, and that thread by arrow (that I can't find), but if we could compile at least links to a handful of those threads I think that would be awesome.
I'm interested in this ^^^^^^ as well.

AlasLavinia

New

Post by AlasLavinia » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:48 am

Here is my own rogue advice for high rank, based on what worked for me:

- Use every minute. If you start feeling brain-dead, switch to something "fun" like CALI or reading a treatise.
- Outline each class, right after each class session ends. Do not deviate from this plan, and do not fall behind. Do it when you are sick, do it on trains, do it on Thanksgiving Day. This way, at the end of the semester, everyone else is in a panic trying to re-learn the course and make outlines, and you are calmly taking practice tests and focusing on the tough areas.
- You get five chances to go over each bit of material: reading before class, in class, outlining after class, re-reading your outline EACH TIME YOU OPEN IT TO EDIT, and before finals. Make sure you understand the material fully each of these five times.
- That said, the best way to study is to explain the material to an outsider or non-law student. "Hi, mom. Can I tell you about impleader?" Give your SO your outline and have them quiz you. Get a study group together, but only if it is people you will be able to stand when they are in the throes of anxiety and egomania (finals).
- All of this said, the hardest part is learning that the facts don't matter. The rules matter. But that is what gets you half-way there. Learning logical advocacy is what you must master. Logical advocacy gets A's on exams.
- Finally, never, ever, ever listen to anything a classmate says that starts with "But I heard..." The only information you need comes directly from professors and the academic handbook. The rest is gossip, fearmongering, and deliberate deception.

That is pretty much all I learned in my first semester. It was pretty fun.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:57 am

Just type in A'nold to the search function and try to study every bit of wisdom that appears on the page (this will be every letter, obviously, so get started ASAP, as I post about 100 times a day and you will likely need to memorize 300 posts per day to get ready for fall).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:00 am

AlasLavinia wrote:Here is my own rogue advice for high rank, based on what worked for me:

- Use every minute. If you start feeling brain-dead, switch to something "fun" like CALI or reading a treatise.
- Outline each class, right after each class session ends. Do not deviate from this plan, and do not fall behind. Do it when you are sick, do it on trains, do it on Thanksgiving Day. This way, at the end of the semester, everyone else is in a panic trying to re-learn the course and make outlines, and you are calmly taking practice tests and focusing on the tough areas.
- You get five chances to go over each bit of material: reading before class, in class, outlining after class, re-reading your outline EACH TIME YOU OPEN IT TO EDIT, and before finals. Make sure you understand the material fully each of these five times.
- That said, the best way to study is to explain the material to an outsider or non-law student. "Hi, mom. Can I tell you about impleader?" Give your SO your outline and have them quiz you. Get a study group together, but only if it is people you will be able to stand when they are in the throes of anxiety and egomania (finals).
- All of this said, the hardest part is learning that the facts don't matter. The rules matter. But that is what gets you half-way there. Learning logical advocacy is what you must master. Logical advocacy gets A's on exams.
- Finally, never, ever, ever listen to anything a classmate says that starts with "But I heard..." The only information you need comes directly from professors and the academic handbook. The rest is gossip, fearmongering, and deliberate deception.

That is pretty much all I learned in my first semester. It was pretty fun.
O.k. psychopath. I'll be sure to get on my outlining, memorizing, updating, and re-reading my outlines daily before and after class. :wink:

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 pm

1. Learn the law
2. Learn how to take law school exams
3. ??????
4. Profit

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Cavalier wrote:1. Learn the law
3. ??????
4. Profit
Fill in number three with "Win the lottery" and/or "marry money" and TITCR.

Also, I plan on approaching law school via public transportation or a car. Some might recommend bikes, but don't listen to those asshole gunners.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:12 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
3. ??????
4. Profit
Fill in number three with "Win the lottery" and/or "marry money" and TITCR.

Also, I plan on approaching law school via public transportation or a car. Some might recommend bikes, but don't listen to those asshole gunners.
But seriously, there's not much more to success in law school than steps one and two. I'd still recommend reading the advice topics for various ideas, but it really doesn't matter how you approach steps one and two. As long as you learn the law well, and learn how to write a good exam, you'll be fine.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:56 pm

3. ??????
4. Profit
+1. /thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”