Worth it to become a 1L SBA rep?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rando

Re: Worth it to become a 1L SBA rep?

Postby rando » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:00 pm

macattaq wrote: Question: when was the last time you interviewed for a legal position? For me, it was about a month ago. The non-academic things came up much more than grades. Oh yes, and I got the job.

OCI interviews last Fall - several phone interviews, 20+ screening interviews, 12 callbacks
RA interviews last Fall
State SC judicial intern interviews this spring

Never had a SBA/club type question come up and I was involved in student legal services and lamar inn. Wish i wouldn't have wasted the 12-20 hrs on those two things each semester and spent the time sleeping.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:02 pm

wiseowl wrote:i did a couple extracuriculars this year, will probably do more next year, but steered clear of SBA.

some folks here need to realize that people are getting jobs these days from networking and good interviewing these days, especially outside the T14. if your extracurricular choices help you do that, as mine did, all the better.

I do agree that networking is crucial. Especially for people with numbers on the brink. That being said, it needs to be intelligent networking. Not wasting your time with a bunch of other law students.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:55 pm

smalltown wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Why would you want to do anything 1L year other than study?

Well, the general answer is that studying sucks donkeys and if that's all I did I would jump out of the god damn building.

A'nold wrote:Dude, tons of people at my school were signing up for this mediation tournament that absolutely drained these students' time.....I just couldn't believe it.

Some people may value skills learned in mediation more than what's in the text books. But any of these things are a tremendous drain on time. They can break up the incredibly boring day-to-day life that is law school.

The SBA at my school requires clubs to send a rep to the meetings, and I did it for my club this year. My involvement in my club has been more beneficial to me in my education and finding potential employment than Torts, which I bombed, that's for sure. But a friend and I spent most of the time in the SBA meetings sending the best quotes from the casual encounters section of Craigslist back and forth.

It can provide opportunities to give input to faculty and administration, but it's all really just for the benefit of the handful of people who are really into student government.

But, as you maybe can tell, I'm not the person you should model your law school career after.

EDIT: Nm, i misread
Last edited by Bankhead on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:57 pm

The SBA President at Ohio State is really awesome. He organized a really good mixer at a local campus bar for admitted students and a bunch of 1ls/2ls were there to answer questions and speak "candidly" about Ohio State. He seems to have an awesome job lined up when he graduates. It is probably because of his grades and not his SBA involvement, but still I see a need for schools to have a functional SBA, which will always require the participation of students and entail leadership positions. Of course not all SBAs are created equally and can vary from school to school, this is just my observation.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 pm

macattaq wrote:
Bankhead wrote:I've always thought the stupidest fucking thing you could do 1L year is to sign up for a bunch of clubs. I even know a 1L who is the "marketing czar" for an organization, and spends an inordinate amount of time hanging flyers, setting up decorations, etc. It's not even technically a position so he can't put it on his resume.

Then there are the people who baliff. I won't even go into the people who waste time baliffing.

And then there are the people are engage in something called "tabling", or is it "tableing" -- whatever, it might be the worst verb ever. These people just sit at tables for hours at a time.

Just study 1L year, for god sakes!

You would be surprised to find out that some, if not many of these positions are paid. The Westlaw/Lexis/Rigos/BarBri tables, yeah, those are all paid positions. At the very least, these people are getting paid to sit around. Even better, they are being paid to study. I can't imagine that this is such a bad thing that it should be avoided.

I know this is TLS, and people here are much more gung-ho about getting good grades than may be found elsewhere. That being said, 90% of all law students fall outside the top 10%. To differentiate yourself beyond the grade factor, you will need extracurriculars. Without them, you won't be able to make a decent argument as to why you should be hired over that other person who has the same grades as you. You will have few, if any, conversation starters. The few you do have will be the result of being a club president in undergrad. Whoop-de-fucking-do, please raise your hand if you were a club officer at some point during your four years of higher education. Being 'the cool guy' isn't going to carry as much weight as it did in undergrad, and quite frankly, no one gives a fuck what you did back then. You'll need to show that you are willing to step up, take charge, and do what it takes to keep things going. By this I mean, employers want leaders. They want individuals who are willing to suck it up, and do the crap work without complaining, because they know this is what needs to be done. If you're angling for a biglaw position, or other competitive position, I imagine that showing these traits will get you further in the long run than saying, "I studied all through 1L year". Yes, saying that you studied for nine or ten months straight shows your dedication. No, a lot of people do not want to work with a fucking Poindexter-ass bookworm who doesn't socialize. Once you consider the intangibles, such as people skills or ability to mediate conflict, you can see that having spent time away from books is invaluable. This is particularly true when you consider that, once again, most students fall outside of the BigLaw/clerkship-autoselect-range. While taking on positions such as 1L SBA rep may not give you any real legal experience, the fact that you were willing to enter into the non-academic world around you can be used an advantage.

We're talking about tabling here; else an SBA rep position which wastes a tremendous amount of time for almost zero gains. If you're a boring enough person not to have any conversation starters in interviews, surely you are not going to be able to win an elected SBA position anyway. Re: tabling - Just take out an extra 500 bucks in loans instead, and give yourself a chance at better grades.

There are good law school extracurriculars: journals and moot court. We are not talking about good law school extracurriculars in this thread.

Also if you are outside the top 10% or so, that should be an incentive to work harder the next semester, not waste time on shit that can't possibly help you. Plus, you can always buy your way into 2-3 or 4 clubs that you can put on your resume without the ridiculous time sink. You talk about the top 10% like it's this magic cutoff; top 25% with minimal involvement is going to get a job over fratty median SBA rep douche anyday.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:03 am

smalltown wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Why would you want to do anything 1L year other than study?

Well, the general answer is that studying sucks donkeys and if that's all I did I would jump out of the god damn building.

TITCR, but with a note of caution. My involvement in Student Government and other student organizations invigorated me in UG precisely for the reason noted above but I wouldn't get involved in this stuff if you aren't used to having a lot on your plate. It's fun when it's something that you enjoy or just gets your mind off school - it's a problem if it just becomes another point of stress.

tome

Postby tome » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:11 am

I took a position as an RA for a professor this semester. It is a lot of time, but I think that it is a better idea than joining a club. Also, the professor agreed to take me on as an RA over the Summer too--I figure the time I have saved in not having to look for a job probably evened things out in the end.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:34 am

The RA is worth it I think, especially since you're pretty much just replacing the job search (which would be sunk costs except the portion which actually leads to the real job) with something you will instead get a return on your investment from.

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 am

What are people's thoughts on board membership in clubs, like volunteer clubs? There's an organization I've been volunteering with, and I think I could do good work as a member of its board, but I'm also worried about taking time away from the things that "matter" in the job hunt.

I am seriously considering SBA, not because I think employers will care, but because it gives me a chance to get out there and bond with people outside of my section, and in other grad school programs. Knowing people around your age and career level anywhere shouldn't be discounted. However, that time may be better spent studying, socializing, or even just relaxing so you have enough energy to get through everything else.

Can someone with any idea, like a 2L right now, give me an idea of how many things I can realistically have on my plate?

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:04 am

Bankhead wrote:I've always thought the stupidest fucking thing you could do 1L year is to sign up for a bunch of clubs. I even know a 1L who is the "marketing czar" for an organization, and spends an inordinate amount of time hanging flyers, setting up decorations, etc. It's not even technically a position so he can't put it on his resume.

Then there are the people who baliff. I won't even go into the people who waste time baliffing.

And then there are the people are engage in something called "tabling", or is it "tableing" -- whatever, it might be the worst verb ever. These people just sit at tables for hours at a time.

Bailiffing pays. At least at UCI.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:42 am

uci2013 wrote:

Bailiffing pays. At least at UCI.

What's bailiffing?

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am

I started a new organization at my school (I'm a 1L), and just about every time I interviewed, I was asked about it (I have it listed as the club, and then "Founder and President" - people seem to like that). We're getting a new class started, and it has allowed me to network with some really prominent people in that specific field.

I'm also involved in another organization (not currently holding a position, but running for one for next year), and through that I've gotten to talk to people at DLA and Perkins Coie.

That being said, I would agree that a lot of positions are meaningless timewasters. But if you're in a position where you're actually networking and getting things done, it can be really good.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 am

LjakW wrote:What's bailiffing?

Keeping time for Moot Court (maybe other duties depending on the school).

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:56 pm

From what I have been told, SBA activity is a positive, but a minor positive. Being in some activities definitely helps. However, being active with the SBA is not a substitute for Law Review, Moot Court or even a secondary journal. The benefit of being an SBA member (even the President) is relatively minor.

With that said, being active with something is important and SBA can be a help. What you don't want to do is do nothing but school during any year. For example, some 1Ls at my school are doing nothing till their summer jobs. Doing something like pro bono work, membership in clubs, whatever else can be nice. Not to mention they give you talking points during an interview (if you actually did something).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”