I hate golf, is this a problem?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DukeHopeful

Re: I hate golf, is this a problem?

Postby DukeHopeful » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm

As others have said, golf is a great way to get to know people on a more personal level, and it happens to be particularly popular with the more affluent crowd (which partners and biglaw clients typically belong in). Therefore, while not golfing may not be a direct reason you don't get the client or make partner, it may be an indirect reason if the person who does make partner or get the client was able to establish a good relationship through golf.

Golf can definitely become very enjoyable, and I say this as someone who was a HS quarterback and lacrosse player, just started golfing this past summer, and shooting a 115 is a good day. As others have said, beer is a great way to enjoy golf, as it's one of the few activities where losing can be just as much as winning :wink: .

If you aren't enjoying golf, it could be because the people you are playing with are a lot better than you, and you stand out as a "loser". If so, find a bunch of guys who want to learn, look at it as an investment in your future, and drink. It's a lot more fun when everyone is on the same page as you when you're learning.

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:53 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:As others have said, golf is a great way to get to know people on a more personal level, and it happens to be particularly popular with the more affluent crowd (which partners and biglaw clients typically belong in). Therefore, while not golfing may not be a direct reason you don't get the client or make partner, it may be an indirect reason if the person who does make partner or get the client was able to establish a good relationship through golf.

Golf can definitely become very enjoyable, and I say this as someone who was a HS quarterback and lacrosse player, just started golfing this past summer, and shooting a 115 is a good day. As others have said, beer is a great way to enjoy golf, as it's one of the few activities where losing can be just as much as winning :wink: .

If you aren't enjoying golf, it could be because the people you are playing with are a lot better than you, and you stand out as a "loser". If so, find a bunch of guys who want to learn, look at it as an investment in your future, and drink. It's a lot more fun when everyone is on the same page as you when you're learning.

Great advice, thanks. I'm going to try to find people closer to my level to play with.

egb23

Postby egb23 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:05 pm

Picking up golf was one of the best decisions I ever made.

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 pm

What's the best way to get into it? I've only ever gone with buddies who were already avid golfers, borrowing their stuff and going to their club.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Learn Tennis :D

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm

jdhonest wrote:Hating golf is not a problem. You coming off as such a huge, whiny and myopic douche-bag is a problem.

+1.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Clearly the solution is substitute golf with minigolf. And the beer with SoCo 100. One drink for every shot over par. Do they even have par in mini golf?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 pm

I am naturally gifted in every sport but skiing. Ah, I love my athletic ability. 8)

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Clearly the solution is substitute golf with minigolf. And the beer with SoCo 100. One drink for every shot over par. Do they even have par in mini golf?

They do.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:09 pm

1800calturk wrote:
DukeHopeful wrote:As others have said, golf is a great way to get to know people on a more personal level, and it happens to be particularly popular with the more affluent crowd (which partners and biglaw clients typically belong in). Therefore, while not golfing may not be a direct reason you don't get the client or make partner, it may be an indirect reason if the person who does make partner or get the client was able to establish a good relationship through golf.

Great advice, thanks. I'm going to try to find people closer to my level to play with.

That is great advice. I "played" for years, but was terrible and only played occasionally. Then 2 friends and I just caught the bug last summer and were playing anywhere and anytime we could. (not a lot still). Literally....golf buddies. It is probably as awesome as the playing itself. get a set of used clubs or better yet the complete sets from target/ dicks whch are modern tech and also you'll look legit if you start playing with guys better than you. They are not as good as the expensive stuff, but are perfectly fine for the level you or most are at, it wont be the factor holding back your game. Dont let anyone talk you into dropping $$$

Also I know they cost money but take a lesson or 2. The game is infinitely more fun as you get better and they can teach you 10 easy things that will help you hit it straight

Good luck, I hope you come around on golf as it is something that makes me happy and I'd hope can do the same for you.

(oh also, out 6 beers in your bag. Definitely.)

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Clearly the solution is substitute golf with minigolf. And the beer with SoCo 100. One drink for every shot over par. Do they even have par in mini golf?

this would have epic results in those mini golf courses where you have a narrow lane on an uphill shot that u have to nail... progressively getting tipsier with each shot rolling back to the start as you approach 10 over par lol

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:25 pm

There's 18 shots in a fifth of scotch..... not a coincidence

gregw8705

Postby gregw8705 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 am

My plan if I'm ever forced to golf in the line of duty is to drink a lot before the first tee shot. That way I'll have an excuse when my ball slams into the ground a few feet in front of me and skips across the grass like a rock on water.

I went to a driving range once with some of my fraternity brothers and half of my shots slammed into the ground right in front of me and the other half got in the air but took a hard (almost 90 degree angle) leftward turn halfway through their flight. I'm hoping to win some clients over by using that sharp left hook to knock out some poor guy on the next hole over or take out somebody driving a cart thereby providing the comic relief. If that doesn't work, I'll just shoot facing to the right.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:38 am

jdhonest wrote:Hating golf is not a problem. You coming off as such a huge, whiny and myopic douche-bag is a problem.

Epic win for the newbie

Anyhow, who hates golf? As someone said earlier, it and tennis are the greatest sports to play after age 22.

cjf4

Postby cjf4 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 am

Yeah you're right, there's nothing to like about being outside all day, relaxing, taking in beautiful landscaping, drinking beer, all while getting better at something.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

gregw8705 wrote:My plan if I'm ever forced to golf in the line of duty is to drink a lot before the first tee shot. That way I'll have an excuse when my ball slams into the ground a few feet in front of me and skips across the grass like a rock on water.

I went to a driving range once with some of my fraternity brothers and half of my shots slammed into the ground right in front of me and the other half got in the air but took a hard (almost 90 degree angle) leftward turn halfway through their flight. I'm hoping to win some clients over by using that sharp left hook to knock out some poor guy on the next hole over or take out somebody driving a cart thereby providing the comic relief. If that doesn't work, I'll just shoot facing to the right.

You sound like you're still in college. When you're playing with 40 year old executives, "Sorry, I'm drunk" is a piss poor excuse. That would be how you lose clients.

You don't want to be that guy.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:30 pm

A'nold wrote:I am naturally gifted in every sport but skiing. Ah, I love my athletic ability. 8)

Conclusory language, you just got a B- in legal writing.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm

notanumber wrote:Don't listen to all the haters. You'll have no problems getting hired or passing the bar with sub-par golf skills.

You'll never make partner, though.

Sarcasm escapes you. Work on that.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Golf is one of the most boring "sports" ever invented. It's bad for your joints and give you blisters, all the while not being exerting or mentally captivating in the slightest. I played contact sports all my life so it's not like I'm not a sports guy, but I gotta say, I find golf mind-numbing the few times I forced myself to give it a go. I wouldn't mind so much being incredibly bored if I wasn't also having to get in and out of a tiny vehicle to stand around on some grass.

Is this going to be a problem for me in my legal career? What can I do to learn enough about the game, and pick up some rudimentary skill, if I don't enjoy it at all

Only if you're a lesbian.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:57 pm

gregw8705 wrote:My plan if I'm ever forced to golf in the line of duty is to drink a lot before the first tee shot. That way I'll have an excuse when my ball slams into the ground a few feet in front of me and skips across the grass like a rock on water.

I can already picture your swing in my head. Increase the pressure on your left hand while loosening your grip altogether. Keep lag throughout your shot (it's kind of like keeping your wrists bent while your arms and body are swinging through the shot). You are likely straightening your entire body and arms as you connect with the ball, causing your right hand to turn way over before you strike the ball.

That or fake a broken leg.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Golf isn't about golfing, it's about shooting the shit and drinking while outside. You'll understand, in time child.

jdland2010

Postby jdland2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Most successful lawyers do play golf (as well as racquet sports)...I'm not saying that its going to hurt your legal career if you don't, but you should go and get yourself some lessons (very soon). Also, if you don't like golf and don't want to participate, I suggest you go learn to play racquetball, handball or sqaush. Learn to play along with the game (both in the office and outside of it).

P.S. You also better get yourself a country club membership down the road.

1800calturk wrote:Golf is one of the most boring "sports" ever invented. It's bad for your joints and give you blisters, all the while not being exerting or mentally captivating in the slightest. I played contact sports all my life so it's not like I'm not a sports guy, but I gotta say, I find golf mind-numbing the few times I forced myself to give it a go. I wouldn't mind so much being incredibly bored if I wasn't also having to get in and out of a tiny vehicle to stand around on some grass.

Is this going to be a problem for me in my legal career? What can I do to learn enough about the game, and pick up some rudimentary skill, if I don't enjoy it at all?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 am

jdland2010 wrote:Most successful lawyers do play golf (as well as racquet sports)...I'm not saying that its going to hurt your legal career if you don't, but you should go and get yourself some lessons (very soon). Also, if you don't like golf and don't want to participate, I suggest you go learn to play racquetball, handball or sqaush. Learn to play along with the game (both in the office and outside of it).

P.S. You also better get yourself a country club membership down the road.

1800calturk wrote:Golf is one of the most boring "sports" ever invented. It's bad for your joints and give you blisters, all the while not being exerting or mentally captivating in the slightest. I played contact sports all my life so it's not like I'm not a sports guy, but I gotta say, I find golf mind-numbing the few times I forced myself to give it a go. I wouldn't mind so much being incredibly bored if I wasn't also having to get in and out of a tiny vehicle to stand around on some grass.

Is this going to be a problem for me in my legal career? What can I do to learn enough about the game, and pick up some rudimentary skill, if I don't enjoy it at all?

--ImageRemoved--
Cites?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”