Found this.. thought it was interesting... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rx3r

Bronze

Re: Found this.. thought it was interesting...

Post by rx3r » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

BobSacamano wrote:I don't mean this in any sort of offensive way, but I have never heard of Drake Law School, where that blogger graduated from. That doesn't mean his arguments are without merit, but that'll definitely color his perception of law school and the legal market.
Did he go to Drake? I was under the impression that the blogger went to a T14 from the comment left after the dental school speil:
I personally turned down excellent scholarships to 1st tier schools to attend my alma mater, which is my own stupidity, but the lure of the T14 (my school is actually T10) was just too strong.
I think he was at Penn/Michigan/Duke/Northwestern/Virginia.

EDIT: Whoops, you're right, that's some other guy. Too many people posting as "anonymous" in the comments. Confusing!

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm

gregw8705 wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Well, keep in mind that there is a significant chance of a double-dip recession.
TITCR.

The current administration and Congress are hell bent on following a Keynsian/FDR-style economic recovery strategy. Big government programs, new entitlements, and deficit spending extended the Great Depression, and I don't see dismantling the healthcare system, "jobs" bills, "stimulus" packages, cap and trade, or anything else that's been proposed or passed achieving a different result. FDR owes his legacy as the President who ended the depression to some European fascists and the Japanese for giving him WW2. Without a change in policy or WW3, there's really no definitive end in sight for the economic downturn.

On the other hand, while Barry O has the Fed printing money at breakneck speeds, the IBR program or inflation will take care of our debt. If the dollar keeps falling, my 120k law school debt will probably be the equivalent of a month's salary in a few years (kidding, but the falling dollar's one good side is that it will slightly ease the debt burden).
What was it about WW2 that turned the economy around?

dontknowwhereimgoin

New

Post by dontknowwhereimgoin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Legitimate populist political concerns notwithstanding, most non-politically affiliated economists consider Geithner's bank "stress tests" to have mitigated the recession.

see: John Cassidy's article in the March 15th New Yorker

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
gregw8705 wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Well, keep in mind that there is a significant chance of a double-dip recession.
TITCR.

The current administration and Congress are hell bent on following a Keynsian/FDR-style economic recovery strategy. Big government programs, new entitlements, and deficit spending extended the Great Depression, and I don't see dismantling the healthcare system, "jobs" bills, "stimulus" packages, cap and trade, or anything else that's been proposed or passed achieving a different result. FDR owes his legacy as the President who ended the depression to some European fascists and the Japanese for giving him WW2. Without a change in policy or WW3, there's really no definitive end in sight for the economic downturn.

On the other hand, while Barry O has the Fed printing money at breakneck speeds, the IBR program or inflation will take care of our debt. If the dollar keeps falling, my 120k law school debt will probably be the equivalent of a month's salary in a few years (kidding, but the falling dollar's one good side is that it will slightly ease the debt burden).
What was it about WW2 that turned the economy around?
Big government's insatiable need to buy bomber parts, nylons and other such war-time sundries.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”