BigLaw from Resume Collect

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

BigLaw from Resume Collect

Postby corporatelaw87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Typically most hiring is done through OCI, but sometimes firms don't visit the school and just do a resume collect, and then pick who they want to bring back to the office to interview. Does anyone know of someone who got a BigLaw job by means of a resume collect as oppose to OCI. To me at least, it seems like resume collect people are at a disadvantage because the firm doesn't really care enough to visit your school.

corporatelaw87

Re: BigLaw from Resume Collect

Postby corporatelaw87 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 am

Anyone know from experience?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:26 am

corporatelaw87 wrote:Typically most hiring is done through OCI, but sometimes firms don't visit the school and just do a resume collect, and then pick who they want to bring back to the office to interview. Does anyone know of someone who got a BigLaw job by means of a resume collect as oppose to OCI. To me at least, it seems like resume collect people are at a disadvantage because the firm doesn't really care enough to visit your school.

Depends. Do you go to a T2 and is the firm a V10 that's never come to your school? Bet that resume drop's not gonna work out too well for you.

It's a lot different if you're attending a T14 and it's a small market firm that's never come to your school more because of economic considerations than a lack of desire for students from a top school.

I'm only a 1L but I know one such firm that ended up with half of their SAs coming from schools at which they don't do OCI.
Last edited by RVP11 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 am

I know someone who got callbacks that way, so, yes.

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 am

Why does it matter?

Anyway the firm probably just figures that there is no point in coming. If there is mutual interest they can just bring you out for a call back.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”