Horses in law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
piccolittle

Silver

Horses in law school?

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:15 pm

I know this is a bit of a random topic, but I'm hoping maybe someone can help out. I'm about to start an LLM at either William & Mary or UCLA (waitlisted, so unlikely), and I'm looking to bring my horse. Coming from a UK law school where our class schedule runs to about 10 hours a week, I'm anxious to know whether I'll have time to ride and compete at a US school. What does the daily class schedule generally look like? I know it's a bit ignorant of me to ask, but do classes run all day, 9-5, or are there some free periods in the day? How much studying per day do you feel is necessary? Bear in mind the classes I'll be taking will be 3L or equivalent. Do you all have time for sports/extracurriculars- has anyone brought a horse to LS?

Ragged

Silver

Re: Horses in law school?

Post by Ragged » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Horseback riding is animal abuse.

HTH

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Ragged wrote:Horseback riding is animal abuse.

HTH
Thanks, troll! All opinions are appreciated :mrgreen:

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:19 pm

I thought you were referring to ugly women. No idea how an actual horse would figure into the LS equation.

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Okay, maybe if we pretend your horse is a dog you'll get more helpful input. Idk what it takes to keep a horse, but I'd say a fair number of people have dogs and maybe they could give you some prospective since your question is really about the amount of free time in LS, not about horses...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:21 pm

If you take your horse to UCLA, the closest places that I know people hold their horses is up by Griffith Park (about 20-40min away depending on traffic) or out in the north end of the San Fernando Valley (about 45 min away)

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Horses make great pets during law school!!!!!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Ragged wrote:Horseback riding is animal abuse.

HTH
Thanks, troll! All opinions are appreciated :mrgreen:
It is though, I saw a special on that once... you wouldn't happen to also want to practice animal law, would you? Cuz that would be lolz.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Wow, you guys are fast.

I might be interested in equine law, but no, not much of a market for that.

Ragged, what was the name of the special you saw?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm

A couple of people bring their horses to class every day, it's not a big deal. The crap in the hall gets old though...h

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm

piccolittle wrote:Wow, you guys are fast.

Its in Russian... its called Horse Encyclopedia.(roughly) Some eyeopening stuff. There were tears.

splay

Gold

Post by splay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 pm

I can't imagine riding through law school. I couldn't even keep riding through my undergrad, sadly. School + work + social life left no time for it. If you're willing to have no life outside of school and riding, go for it. Not sure how you would keep competing though. Good luck, in any case.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:If you take your horse to UCLA, the closest places that I know people hold their horses is up by Griffith Park (about 20-40min away depending on traffic) or out in the north end of the San Fernando Valley (about 45 min away)
There are stables near Granada Hills, but W&M is probably your best bet for horses anyway.
http://www.stonehousestables.com/ boards horses, and it's less than 30 mins drive from the College

B/C you'll be an LLM, I could actually see this working (I would tell a potential JD that they are completely insane)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Ragged wrote:

Its in Russian... its called Horse Encyclopedia.(roughly) Some eyeopening stuff. There were tears.
Ah yeah, I see. That's more about haute ecole, trick and higher level performance stuff... really don't agree with much of that myself. Believe me, there are very big debates in the horse world about many of the practices used in that kind of training, as well as the harsh equipment used. Thankfully, nothing to do with me and my horse.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 pm

JordynAsh wrote:I thought you were referring to ugly women. No idea how an actual horse would figure into the LS equation.
subtle I will be the prettiest girl in my law school trolling

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 pm

OneKnight wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:If you take your horse to UCLA, the closest places that I know people hold their horses is up by Griffith Park (about 20-40min away depending on traffic) or out in the north end of the San Fernando Valley (about 45 min away)
There are stables near Granada Hills, but W&M is probably your best bet for horses anyway.
http://www.stonehousestables.com/ boards horses, and it's less than 30 mins drive from the College

B/C you'll be an LLM, I could actually see this working (I would tell a potential JD that they are completely insane)
I've actually been looking at Stonehouse as a potential place for my horse (Jack). Do you know it personally?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:38 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Ah yeah, I see. That's more about haute ecole, trick and higher level performance stuff... really don't agree with much of that myself. Believe me, there are very big debates in the horse world about many of the practices used in that kind of training, as well as the harsh equipment used. Thankfully, nothing to do with me and my horse.

From what I understood haute ecole method is actually a good (and humane) way to train a horse. Anyways, for your horse's sake, I hope you are not a cruel bastard (or a total moron who doesn't realize what he does).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 pm

splay wrote:I can't imagine riding through law school. I couldn't even keep riding through my undergrad, sadly. School + work + social life left no time for it. If you're willing to have no life outside of school and riding, go for it. Not sure how you would keep competing though. Good luck, in any case.
Thanks for the honesty! I am a bit worried about how it'll all fit together but I'm pretty committed. Is it a matter of not having time because of classes, or do you do other extracurriculars that take/took priority?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Ragged wrote: From what I understood haute ecole method is actually a good (and humane) way to train a horse. Anyways, for your horse's sake, I hope you are not a cruel bastard (or a total moron who doesn't realize what he does).
Lol... I hope so too.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

piccolittle wrote:
OneKnight wrote:

I've actually been looking at Stonehouse as a potential place for my horse (Jack). Do you know it personally?
I wish I could say I did, but I only know it by reputation (their staff is supposedly great!) You should contact them directly (757-566-0666, sstmbest@cox.net) if you're interested.
Also their FB --> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toano-VA/ ... 4504868512?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Knowing them by reputation is perhaps even better! Thanks a lot :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 pm

If you're serious about this, there's actually a huge equine law market (unsurprisingly) in Kentucky, though I think that the field is populated almost exclusively by UK & U of L grads.

splay

Gold

Post by splay » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:03 am

piccolittle wrote:
Thanks for the honesty! I am a bit worried about how it'll all fit together but I'm pretty committed. Is it a matter of not having time because of classes, or do you do other extracurriculars that take/took priority?
I've had a job all through my undergrad. Devoting 5 days a week to riding would have been too much on top of that. I still miss it though.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 am

macattaq wrote:Did you say horses?
Funniest thing I have seen in a really really long time.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:57 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”