1L Needs Wardrobe Help Before Summer Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: 1L Needs Wardrobe Help Before Summer

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm assuming Jones, Dow was joking.

guyincognito

New

Post by guyincognito » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:24 pm

I have found that Osh Kosh Bgosh is the best option for business casual dress. I buy all of my work clothes there. True I have to special order them to find my size, but it is totally worthwhile. And, as a quick sidenote, bowties are really coming back into style. I would stock up on those along with plenty of kneebreeches, suede gloves and waistcoats. Just stop by your local haberdashery, and you should be able to find all the necessary items.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 pm

a way more interesting topic is what dress wardrobe one should be looking at for the most up-tight/formal BigLaw firms.

I'll lead with this for custom fitting: http://www.turnbullandasser.com (though they only have three locations and only two in the states). I think each custom shirt from this place runs around $600 (low end) and you have to buy in minimum quantities of 6.

Pro-tip: for ties your one and only stop should be http://www.hermes.com

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 pm

agentzer0 wrote:a way more interesting topic is what dress wardrobe one should be looking at for the most up-tight/formal BigLaw firms.

I'll lead with this for custom fitting: http://www.turnbullandasser.com (though they only have three locations and only two in the states). I think each custom shirt from this place runs around $600 (low end) and you have to buy in minimum quantities of 6.

Pro-tip: for ties your one and only stop should be http://www.hermes.com
Riiiiiight...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Jos A. Bank. Look for sales, get on their email list, never pay full price. Their traveler collection is amazing. I can throw a couple shirts in the suitcase, hang'em in the bathroom, and the steam from the shower makes them look like I just got them back from the cleaners.

I am a frequent business traveler and wear dress shirts every day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

SteelReserve wrote:OP, whatever you do, get your neck and sleeve measurements off the bat. Then, be sure to try on every single shirt you buy, regardless of whether the measurements are correct.

The look you want is for the shirt to be form-fitting to the body. Billowy, ballooning shirts and sleeves are the biggest tip-off that a person has no sense of style or pride in how they look. If you're athletic or slim built, purchase shirts that are "Slim Cut" or "Fitted"

Always buy flat-front pants. Pleated pants are for Tony Soprano type build and look.
If you get the pants tailored (which you should if they're too long), do not get a cuff, and ask for medium or no break.

Also, I would pick up a nice sport jacket that you can rock over a shirt for days when you want a little extra.

This is completely your opinion and you shouldn't be stating it as a fact. Pleated pants with cuffs and some break are completely acceptable.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:40 pm

These postings are truly hilarious!! thanks! Back to work in my blood splattered mickey mouse scrub shirt...

kilgore_trout

New

Post by kilgore_trout » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Business Casual:

When you need to go formal:

--ImageRemoved--

HTH

eternallearner

Bronze

Post by eternallearner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Brooks Brothers are my best recommendation.

I wouldn't go to their outlet store since the quality is not the same as those online/retail store.

Their non-iron shirts are at the top of my list.

While they might be costly, they are made of high quality material (durability) and have a classic/elegant feel.

If you are in a fraternity, mention your association to them in the store, and they will give you 20% off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Orvis also has great shirts and chinos (<70.00). I like the style better than BB; just a preference

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 am

This is completely your opinion and you shouldn't be stating it as a fact. Pleated pants with cuffs and some break are completely acceptable.
Correct that they are acceptable. But the OP specifically asked for wardrobe advice. It is acceptable to wear a size 42 suit when you are actually a size 40, but it's not good wardrobe advice. I believe for anyone under age 40, or not large in girth, it is a statement of objective stylistic fact that flat-fronted pants should be used. But I appreciate your input and the OP can certainly decide for himself, according to his opinion.

But at the very least, he may not even have noticed the difference between pleated or non-pleated, so he now knows, and he will be able to make a better decision for himself knowing the distinction; thus our debate here was hopefully informative for him.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
Correct that they are acceptable. But the OP specifically asked for wardrobe advice. It is acceptable to wear a size 42 suit when you are actually a size 40, but it's not good wardrobe advice. I believe for anyone under age 40, or not large in girth, it is a statement of objective stylistic fact that flat-fronted pants should be used. But I appreciate your input and the OP can certainly decide for himself, according to his opinion.

But at the very least, he may not even have noticed the difference between pleated or non-pleated, so he now knows, and he will be able to make a better decision for himself knowing the distinction; thus our debate here was hopefully informative for him.

Thanks for qualifying that. But I'd really have to disagree that there are any objective rules regarding cuffs and pleats. The past two decades have been a period for subjectivity in business dress. Even in the more conservatively-dressed professions like law, there is still plenty of room for individual tastes. Subtly patterned suits, a wide range of shirt collars/patterns, tie bars, braces, and cuffs/pleats are all acceptable these days even for young professionals. Of course, this varies by region somewhat; I've noticed that flat-front pants and darker/solid-color suits are much more common in the Northeast.

I do agree with your assessment of slim-fit suits. However, this is still purely a matter of personal taste and a traditionally-cut suit is perfectly acceptable.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 pm

leobowski wrote:

Thanks for qualifying that. But I'd really have to disagree that there are any objective rules regarding cuffs and pleats. The past two decades have been a period for subjectivity in business dress. Even in the more conservatively-dressed professions like law, there is still plenty of room for individual tastes. Subtly patterned suits, a wide range of shirt collars/patterns, tie bars, braces, and cuffs/pleats are all acceptable these days even for young professionals. Of course, this varies by region somewhat; I've noticed that flat-front pants and darker/solid-color suits are much more common in the Northeast.

I do agree with your assessment of slim-fit suits. However, this is still purely a matter of personal taste and a traditionally-cut suit is perfectly acceptable.
When I started working in an executive role, the shopper the company recommended advised me of the following: French cuffs, white collars on colored shirts, and suspenders are reserved for the older, higher ranking executives. People under 35 who wear these (french cuffs are okay for dressy occasions, not for work) are generally looked down upon.

Pleats/no pleats are really up to the person and the way the pants fit. I opted for the more conservative, pleated pant because I was much younger than my contemporaries and clients when I started. Older clients in my industry don't really appreciate some 22 year old kid showing up wearing Express for Men or Banana Republic (metro looking) slacks.

I would also recommend not wearing a tie bar unless you want to look like a douchebag. Tie clips are fine, but not a tie bar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Well I must say it has been fun seeing as I never get to talk about suits/fashion with people outside my family. The best part of being an American is that it is very very easy to stand out in a crowd by wearing a properly sized suit and knowing good tie/shirt combos!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

HBK wrote: When I started working in an executive role, the shopper the company recommended advised me of the following: French cuffs, white collars on colored shirts, and suspenders are reserved for the older, higher ranking executives. People under 35 who wear these (french cuffs are okay for dressy occasions, not for work) are generally looked down upon.

Pleats/no pleats are really up to the person and the way the pants fit. I opted for the more conservative, pleated pant because I was much younger than my contemporaries and clients when I started. Older clients in my industry don't really appreciate some 22 year old kid showing up wearing Express for Men or Banana Republic (metro looking) slacks.

I would also recommend not wearing a tie bar unless you want to look like a douchebag. Tie clips are fine, but not a tie bar.

What's the difference between a tie clip and a tie bar? I always thought they were one and the same.

zanyventer

New

Post by zanyventer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 pm

brooks brothers ftw.

if you're slim, get their slim fit non-iron button down dress shirts in white and/or blue with a variety of patterns. get about 5 or 6 pretty basic ones. and 2 or 3 flashier ones. if they're not too flashy, you can rotate pretty easily.

for pants, get their dress trousers (should run about $150/pair, cheaper if on sale), no cuffs. i would get 4 pairs and rotate. if the firm is more khaki-centric, then a pair of non-iron khakis (2 for $150, usually). I prefer plain front.

plain front, no cuffs is a more modern look. if by chance you're larger, then pleats might be worth it.

for a suit, get an 1818 line from brooks brothers, but wait for a sale. once in a while they have a 50% off, other times they have 30%. it'll run you about $600 on sale, but it's worth it.

i have had brooks brothers/jos a bank/banana republic clothes, and brooks brothers quality is the best by far. they will last you for years. jos a bank will rip at the first opportunity and banana will wear out in a season.

edits: adding more advice.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 pm

If you're looking for a suit, or even a sport jacket, the unvented look is best IMHO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:24 pm

You can get shirts, pants, and suits made to measure here: http://www.bestcustomshirt.com/Cheap-Custom-Shirt.asp

They're running a sale, buy 4 shirts, get a 5th free. You can design your shirts online and order them after you are measured.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 pm

i recommend going to your local abercrombie and fitch and trying that out for recruiting and class purposes. if that doesn't work try hollister. it worked in middle school, i don't see why it won't work in law school

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 am

leobowski wrote:
HBK wrote: When I started working in an executive role, the shopper the company recommended advised me of the following: French cuffs, white collars on colored shirts, and suspenders are reserved for the older, higher ranking executives. People under 35 who wear these (french cuffs are okay for dressy occasions, not for work) are generally looked down upon.

What's the difference between a tie clip and a tie bar? I always thought they were one and the same.
I think you're right based on the GIS I just ran. I was wrong. I meant those bars that go behind the tie, up by the collar. Those are ridiculous looking.

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Is this the norm in the US? I've only worked in a corporate atmosphere abroad, and at least in Europe, French cuffs are the norm. I don't mean just really stylish Italians, but in general French cuffs are worn. Generally though cuff links are either very very subtle, silver, or just plain silk knots.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:45 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:If you're looking for a suit, or even a sport jacket, the unvented look is best IMHO.
Unvented wrinkles very easily when you sit down. Also, you look funny if you put your hands in your pockets.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:45 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:If you're looking for a suit, or even a sport jacket, the unvented look is best IMHO.
Never buy unvented. Never ever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”