1L Needs Wardrobe Help Before Summer

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Anonymous User

1L Needs Wardrobe Help Before Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 am

So I'm a guy and I have 1 Suit (dark gray, 3 button) 2 Dress Shirts (both white) a black belt, black dress shoes and like 8 nice/normal ties
....this is not enough for a summer job, especially not for one at a firm, which I was lucky enough to get.

The firm is business casual (every time I have been there I have rarely seen suits and only half the time did I even see ties).

So 2Ls/3Ls and and other guys with a businesses wardrobe what should I buy? Any good names? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Needs Wardrobe Help Before Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:03 am

assuming you're a guy, just wear lots of shirts and pants (no tie). for dress shirts, get colors and stripes, nothing too flashy though. typical business casual is a button down shirt and dress slacks/nicer khakis, so you'll want to emphasize a variety of shirts. a polo shirt might be too informal, so I feel like you can't go wrong with the button-up shirt (top button undone) and khakis or dress slacks. HTH

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:04 am

why are you both anonymous? think you will be identified by your style choices?

Jones, Dow

Postby Jones, Dow » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:assuming you're a guy, just wear lots of shirts and pants (no tie). for dress shirts, get colors and stripes, nothing too flashy though. typical business casual is a button down shirt and dress slacks/nicer khakis, so you'll want to emphasize a variety of shirts. a polo shirt might be too informal, so I feel like you can't go wrong with the button-up shirt (top button undone) and khakis or dress slacks. HTH

dude, don't ever unbutton the top button. talk about classless...

Jones, Dow

Postby Jones, Dow » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:11 am

if you know what broadcloth is (and are pretty conservative--a good choice for an intern) get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordstrom-Guide-M ... d_sim_b_11

if you don't, start here:

http://www.amazon.com/AskMen-com-Presen ... gy_b_img_c

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:18 am

Good places to find business casual at affordable prices: Banana Republic Outlet (the best), JCrew Outlet, Ralph Lauren Outlet, Nordstrom Rack, Filene's Basement. Brooks Brothers Outlet is good, but prices not as good as BR....HOWEVER....if you don't like to iron, and can't afford weekly laundry services for your shirts, BB's no-iron shirts are worth every penny.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:22 am

Jones, Dow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:assuming you're a guy, just wear lots of shirts and pants (no tie). for dress shirts, get colors and stripes, nothing too flashy though. typical business casual is a button down shirt and dress slacks/nicer khakis, so you'll want to emphasize a variety of shirts. a polo shirt might be too informal, so I feel like you can't go wrong with the button-up shirt (top button undone) and khakis or dress slacks. HTH

definitely wrong...you'll look like a douche if you walk around with the collar buttoned and no tie...

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:

definitely wrong...you'll look like a douche if you walk around with the collar buttoned and no tie...

tcr

JPeavy44

Postby JPeavy44 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:57 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:why are you both anonymous? think you will be identified by your style choices?

Who wouldn't?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:03 pm

JPeavy44 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:why are you both anonymous? think you will be identified by your style choices?

Who wouldn't?

Especially is someone is going to walk around with their collar buttoned without a tie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Well I am anonymous because I do not want to announce to the whole board who I am and where I am working.

Thanks for the tips, I will defiantly check the outlets out

the pecan sandies

Postby the pecan sandies » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 pm

You should really just go to Brooks Brothers and do the 3 for $200 deal twice, getting a mix of solid and patterned shirts. Buy 2 or 3 pair of charcoal/navy/gray wool pants, brown dress shoes, and a pile of dress socks.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I will defiantly check the outlets out

Lol, I don't normally point out typos but this just looks weird in that sentence......unless you actually meant to use that word, then I don't know what you mean.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Try Jos. A Bank. Their clothes are expensive but their deals are amazing. I bought 3 suits during one of their buy 1 get 2 free sales and I even talked the salesman into throwing the alterations in for free.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:52 pm

[quote="RickyRoe"]Try Jos. A Bank. Their clothes are expensive but their deals are amazing. I bought 3 suits during one of their buy 1 get 2 free sales and I even talked the salesman into throwing the alterations in for free.[/quote

If you can get to a Jos A Bank outlet store, DO IT. There's only 13 of them though, and they're all on the East Coast. Even if you have to drive an hour or two, I can tell you it will be worth it.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:23 am

What can I expect to have to wear to my 3rd Circuit 1L internship? I didn't dare ask the judge on the phone.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:18 am

the pecan sandies wrote:You should really just go to Brooks Brothers and do the 3 for $200 deal twice, getting a mix of solid and patterned shirts. Buy 2 or 3 pair of charcoal/navy/gray wool pants, brown dress shoes, and a pile of dress socks.

This guy knows what he's talking about. This is exactly what I did prior to my first corporate internship, and the BB non-iron shirts are pure win. I also really liked the wool pants I bought there and found them to be far better quality than similar ones I bough earlier at Banana Republic.

The only thing I would add is that you might want to buy another suit. I rarely needed a suit when I was working, but I had a couple occasions come up out of the blue where I needed to wear a suit 2-3 days in a row and having more than one was essential. Since you already have a charcoal, I'd suggest a 2-button navy.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
the pecan sandies wrote:You should really just go to Brooks Brothers and do the 3 for $200 deal twice, getting a mix of solid and patterned shirts. Buy 2 or 3 pair of charcoal/navy/gray wool pants, brown dress shoes, and a pile of dress socks.

This guy knows what he's talking about. This is exactly what I did prior to my first corporate internship, and the BB non-iron shirts are pure win. I also really liked the wool pants I bought there and found them to be far better quality than similar ones I bough earlier at Banana Republic.

The only thing I would add is that you might want to buy another suit. I rarely needed a suit when I was working, but I had a couple occasions come up out of the blue where I needed to wear a suit 2-3 days in a row and having more than one was essential. Since you already have a charcoal, I'd suggest a 2-button navy.

I have a charcoal light wool suit. I also have a black one but I know that it's not usually appropriate (I bought it when I knew nothing about suits and figured black was the most professional color, lol). So, can you get by with like a navy and a charcoal through an entire summer?

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 pm

OP, whatever you do, get your neck and sleeve measurements off the bat. Then, be sure to try on every single shirt you buy, regardless of whether the measurements are correct.

The look you want is for the shirt to be form-fitting to the body. Billowy, ballooning shirts and sleeves are the biggest tip-off that a person has no sense of style or pride in how they look. If you're athletic or slim built, purchase shirts that are "Slim Cut" or "Fitted"

Always buy flat-front pants. Pleated pants are for Tony Soprano type build and look.
If you get the pants tailored (which you should if they're too long), do not get a cuff, and ask for medium or no break.

Also, I would pick up a nice sport jacket that you can rock over a shirt for days when you want a little extra.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:14 pm

A few things for the OP to consider:

1) although everyone at the firm dresses casually, you many want to rock a suit for a while until you actually get an offer. if nothing else, at least invest in a few nice blazers.
2) Before you buy anything, get measured at multiple stores. A fair amount of attendants either measure incorrectly, and/or have never been shown the proper technique.
3) Ask the people at the store which type of suit is right for your body type and skin tone, and do some research in men's magazines.
4) I recommend at least 5 white dress shirts. It may seem like a lot to buy initially, but it'll make you life easier in the long run.
5) Keep a spare belt in your car.
6) Buy lots of socks, and unless you're picky about that sort of thing, you'll do well to go to a discount store to find them. (Like a Ross or something). When you think you have too many dress socks, you probably have just enough.
7) 2 button, solid colored suits are for flatfoots.
8) Limit your patterned shirts. Few things are classier, more professional, and better looking that a crisp white shirt, and a nice tie. You can never, ever go wrong with this combo.
9) Make sure you shirts fit well. Baggy shirts make you look sloppy. Pick your dress shirts based on the shape of your face. A lot of guys don't realize that the collars of dress shirts are designed with particular face shapes in mind.
10) Find a good dry cleaners and stick with them. I made the mistake of looking for a cheap dry cleaning place, and I now own a collection of perfectly nice shirts with perfectly broken buttons. Not worth the 25 cents per shirt I saved myself.

There's more, but I'll spare you. Good luck on your job, and congrats.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:29 pm

A'nold wrote:I have a charcoal light wool suit. I also have a black one but I know that it's not usually appropriate (I bought it when I knew nothing about suits and figured black was the most professional color, lol). So, can you get by with like a navy and a charcoal through an entire summer?

Unless they're paying you biglaw money and/or they expect you to wear a suit more often than not, I'm inclined to think that 2 suits would be sufficient. It is, after all, a summer job and I don't think they'd expect you to break the bank building your wardrobe.

If it's more of a button down & slacks-type place, keeping a sport coat at work isn't a bad idea in case you need to spruce yourself up at the last minute for an important meeting.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:30 pm

If you can manage it, you should also keep a spare shirt and tie in the office (or in your car in a way that they won't get wrinkled). A dark suit can hide the mark of spilled beverages, but your white shirt is like a magnet for your coffee, or your co-worker's tea, or the guy-on-the-subway's purple drank.
This isn't really fashion advice, but I think it is good policy.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:46 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:

+1
unless you are in a hispanic street gang...

Dingo McPhee

Postby Dingo McPhee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm a guy and I have 1 Suit (dark gray, 3 button) 2 Dress Shirts (both white) a black belt, black dress shoes and like 8 nice/normal ties
....this is not enough for a summer job, especially not for one at a firm, which I was lucky enough to get.

The firm is business casual (every time I have been there I have rarely seen suits and only half the time did I even see ties).

So 2Ls/3Ls and and other guys with a businesses wardrobe what should I buy? Any good names? Thanks!

Wow, you really are starting out!

At the beginning you should keep it simple and versatile. You can get wild later once you have the basics.

For the five day work week, you need five shirts. You already have two white shirts, so you need three more. I'd suggest adding two blue. From there you can branch out into yellow, pink, blue/white stripes etc. Get a point collar (not button down) and button cuffs (not French). Long sleeved of course - the words "short sleeve" and "dress shirt" do not go together. Also get some undershirts to keep your new shirts pit-stain free.

Sounds like you don't need another suit (if you did, I'd recommend a solid navy) so you need some pants; again, five at least to get you through the week. Get a variety of colors - tan, brown, olive, gray. Pleats/cuffs is your call.

You need brown shoes and a brown belt, definitely, because black doesn't go with everything. And dress socks of course, in navy and black (I like Gold Toe).

Good luck!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:

What are you talking about? A dress shirt with no tie and the top button still buttoned looks just silly.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”