Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 am

solidsnake wrote:Why would anyone go to law school expecting anything other than to absolutely crush your classmates' skulls and eat their bones in a desperate blood-soaked climb to the top?


And here I thought my particular fetish was unique.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:21 am

Most of the women I know in my class are smarter than most of the men, so it's doubtful they come to get their MRSes.

And yeah, there's a fair amount of pairing up, but it isn't super widespread- more among the people you'd expect to pair up in any given situation.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates?


Hahahaha, amazing.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates? I mean I already have this great thing going with Jessica Alba, and she's like a upcoming movie star you know... but at the same time I'm just not feeling this movie career route, and my classmate who has a crush on me is an aspiring model who just inked a contract with Victoria's Secret. What do you guys think?


LOL

Note my edits.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby HBK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 am

lawyering wrote:christ, what is this, 1800? i'm sorry dude...but more women are getting graduate degrees than men in many, many fields right now, and it's not because they are all trying to get MARRIED! with the way things are going, you men ought to try out for some MR degrees, cause your wives are going to be the ones supporting you later on!

/end rant.


HBK wrote:I've always wondered whether women who failed to get their MRS degree in undergrad extend their "education" by attending LS and other post-grad programs. Is this a prevalent phenomenon?

I'd figure it would be, considering how many people want to delay adulthood through more college. Some people just don't ever want to have a real job.


Reading comprehension fail. I'm sorry dudette, but you are clearly too wrapped up in your feminist mentality. I never said all female law/grad students only want to find a man to marry.

I was curious because people are getting married at older ages than previous. Women who may have gone to college with the mindset of finding a husband might not have succeeded because of this. If I put myself in the shoes of a woman whose goal is to find a husband, law school seems like a particularly good choice. The male law school students are generally smarter than your average college student, have ambition, and will likely have a decent job when they graduate. Additionally, if you don't care about finishing in the top 10%, 25%, or 50% of the class, law school can be fairly easy. Look at attrition rates- not many people fail out of law school. It's a gold digger paradise.

Plus, more women getting graduate degrees than men is a weak basis for an argument. It does nothing to disprove the notion that some women are going into grad school to find a mate. A better argument would be if you had provided statistics regarding post graduate employment for women v. men or if you looked at the average age of women entering post graduate work and compared that to their male peers.

Look, I know some women have this "feminism rah rah rah" mindset. They feel like they have to attack any statement that is critical of members of their sex. This is a stupid mentality. Just because something is true for you does not make it true for every woman. To believe that no woman in the history of law school attended hoping to find a husband is naive. Because some women's intentions may not live up to your feminist ideal is not adequate cause for you to state on behalf of your sex that such intentions don't exist. I know you want to root for your team, but sometimes you need to just sit back and realize that some of your players may not have your same mindset.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates? I mean I already have this great thing going with Jessica Alba, and she's like a upcoming movie star you know... but at the same time I'm just not feeling this movie career route, and my classmate who has a crush on me is an aspiring model who just inked a contract with Victoria's Secret. What do you guys think?


LOL

Note my edits.


:lol: :lol: :lol: perfection

Connelly
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby Connelly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 am

For the guys okay with a little adult humor. (LinkRemoved)

As a guy, if I were single, I would run far away from law school to find a mate. YMMV depending on what it is, exactly, that you are looking for in a significant other.

ScaredWorkedBored
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 pm

I've always wondered whether women who failed to get their MRS degree in undergrad extend their "education" by attending LS and other post-grad programs. Is this a prevalent phenomenon?


I've seen a couple variations on it. One variation is the blatantly obvious back-up plan after finding out grades and realizing that you're not earning $160,000 yourself. I say obvious because the graviatation is towards the people who are known to have top-shelf jobs. Tip for the ladies: Everyone in school figured out exactly what you were doing almost instantly.

The other one is when someone realizes that the guy who is "gunning" about hedge fund taxation rules or dynastic trusts is doing it from life experience. I call it the "why are we even here" couple.

Also the "carry me" version - someone who wants to do public interest thinks the money end is best solved by latching onto someone who does firm work. The specifics of the finances of this are...questionable. Not recommended unless you've taken family law and T&E.

-

The other thing about law school dating is that, well, you know that statistic that 1/100 people are some varation of psychopath? Law school is a non-random sample that, in admission, selects pretty strongly for "do whatever it takes (so long as you haven't been caught too badly/recently)." Not just the guys, either. One of the worst relationships I've seen involved a guy who was a big time player (hitting on undergrads with his J.D. anticipated, etc.) who was trying to seduce a very, very pretty gunner. People have since concluded that said gunner is, more or less a non-violent version of Patrick Bateman. Player didn't get the better end of the attempted relationship manipulation, put it that way...
Last edited by ScaredWorkedBored on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dontstopbelivin
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby dontstopbelivin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Should I, a consultant, date one of my fellow classmates?


Hahahaha, amazing.


Hey, don't hate on all consultants! Some of us are normal people too. Should I, a consultant, be mocked for my fellow practitioner's awkward postings?

Although I must admit this still makes me laugh, in part because I know people like this at work...

But you do realize that what you're thinking about this dude is what most people think of lawyers! When I tell people what I do for a living, they look confused. When I tell them I'm going to become a lawyer, they look horrified. Ah the joys of my career path...

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby Bankhead » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah -- a hiring partner

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 am

No. I've been consistently in serious relationships since the age of 14 . . . I have forgotten what it feels like to be single or want to meet someone.
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby lawyering » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02049.html



HBK wrote:
lawyering wrote:christ, what is this, 1800? i'm sorry dude...but more women are getting graduate degrees than men in many, many fields right now, and it's not because they are all trying to get MARRIED! with the way things are going, you men ought to try out for some MR degrees, cause your wives are going to be the ones supporting you later on!

/end rant.


HBK wrote:I've always wondered whether women who failed to get their MRS degree in undergrad extend their "education" by attending LS and other post-grad programs. Is this a prevalent phenomenon?

I'd figure it would be, considering how many people want to delay adulthood through more college. Some people just don't ever want to have a real job.


Reading comprehension fail. I'm sorry dudette, but you are clearly too wrapped up in your feminist mentality. I never said all female law/grad students only want to find a man to marry.

I was curious because people are getting married at older ages than previous. Women who may have gone to college with the mindset of finding a husband might not have succeeded because of this. If I put myself in the shoes of a woman whose goal is to find a husband, law school seems like a particularly good choice. The male law school students are generally smarter than your average college student, have ambition, and will likely have a decent job when they graduate. Additionally, if you don't care about finishing in the top 10%, 25%, or 50% of the class, law school can be fairly easy. Look at attrition rates- not many people fail out of law school. It's a gold digger paradise.

Plus, more women getting graduate degrees than men is a weak basis for an argument. It does nothing to disprove the notion that some women are going into grad school to find a mate. A better argument would be if you had provided statistics regarding post graduate employment for women v. men or if you looked at the average age of women entering post graduate work and compared that to their male peers.

Look, I know some women have this "feminism rah rah rah" mindset. They feel like they have to attack any statement that is critical of members of their sex. This is a stupid mentality. Just because something is true for you does not make it true for every woman. To believe that no woman in the history of law school attended hoping to find a husband is naive. Because some women's intentions may not live up to your feminist ideal is not adequate cause for you to state on behalf of your sex that such intentions don't exist. I know you want to root for your team, but sometimes you need to just sit back and realize that some of your players may not have your same mindset.

Renaixença
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby Renaixença » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Even dating Col[o]mbians strikes me as dangerous


Dangerous indeed. Mami, tu con tantas curvas y yo sin frenos:

--ImageRemoved--

¡Peligrosa!

User avatar
ddp
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Did you go to law school expecting to meet someone special?

Postby ddp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:01 am

Renaixença wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Even dating Col[o]mbians strikes me as dangerous


Dangerous indeed. Mami, tu con tantas curvas y yo sin frenos:

--ImageRemoved--

¡Peligrosa!

No chicks at law school even half this hot




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests