Learning from E&E only (or other supplement) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
24secure

New

Learning from E&E only (or other supplement)

Post by 24secure » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 pm

So me and the rest of the class are having a very difficult time following our Property professor. I am considering just studying and taking my notes and outline from the Property E&E.

I'm kind of nervous about this, as I'm not sure I will do to good on the final from getting all my knowledge from and E&E.

So tell me, how stupid is this?

apper123

Silver

Re: Learning from E&E only (or other supplement)

Post by apper123 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 pm

What casebook do you use?

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Terrible idea. Law professors fill lectures with nuances that are necessary to recognize for final exams. At my school, people who do that finish at the median. Median=unemployed.

24secure

New

Post by 24secure » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:39 pm

apper123 wrote:What casebook do you use?
Dukenminier.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 pm

24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.
Sometimes I wish Dukenminier and co. hadn't watched the history channel for days on end while drafting the text

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 pm

24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.
thank me when you get your "A"

http://www.amazon.com/Gilbert-Law-Summa ... 065&sr=8-2

fantastic commercial outline written by krier... one of the co-authors. use the table of contents in the front to match it to the dukeminier book and profit

24secure

New

Post by 24secure » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:04 pm

nice.

thanks for the tip

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Any good supplement recommendations for the SINGER text?

If you recommend something to me, I promise to thank you when I get my A? :lol:

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:46 pm

On a semi-unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good supplement for an Intro to Jurisprudence class? I did a search on TLS but didn't find anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

caoyun wrote:On a semi-unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good supplement for an Intro to Jurisprudence class? I did a search on TLS but didn't find anything.
How did you manage to miss the 10+ page thread pinned at the top of the Forum for Law Students entitled COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 pm

apper123 wrote:
24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.

fantastic commercial outline written by krier... one of the co-authors. use the table of contents in the front to match it to the dukeminier book and profit
+1 I am using this supplement and it is gold for our casebook.

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:24 am

I also had the Dukeminier textbook and bought the Krier supplement. I thought the professor, casebook, and supplement were sometimes inconsistent with each other. For me, using supplements just adds extra reading and makes things more complex, but I know some others feel the opposite way.

My property professor talked a lot about policy in class, and that turned out to be most of the exam. There wasn't so much in a supplement that could help with that. My contracts exam was similar in that the final exam essay was straight out of the class notes (combining cases and professor's personal analysis of them), but that would never show up in a hornbook either.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:25 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
caoyun wrote:On a semi-unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good supplement for an Intro to Jurisprudence class? I did a search on TLS but didn't find anything.
How did you manage to miss the 10+ page thread pinned at the top of the Forum for Law Students entitled COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc?

I didn't miss it, but found nothing to answer my question. On one thread, someone asked the question but never received an answer. If I missed an answer, please feel free to point it out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am

Generally: the worse the professor, the more you should rely on a supplement.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:54 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Generally: the worse the professor, the more you should rely on a supplement.
+1

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:06 am

apper123 wrote:
24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.

if you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you use the supplement beyond simply reading it through?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:31 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Generally: the worse the professor, the more you should rely on a supplement.
Very much agreed, with two exceptions.

Exception #1: Civil Procedure - No professor can ever explain it as well as Sir Glannon can in his E&E and Glannon Guide. I loved my Civ Pro teacher, but this book was still vital.

Exception #2: Your professor wrote the supplement. Whether she is a fantastic professor or a terrible professor, use the shit out of that supplement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:03 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Exception #1: Civil Procedure - No professor can ever explain it as well as Sir Glannon can in his E&E and Glannon Guide. I loved my Civ Pro teacher, but this book was still vital.
My CivPro professor was tremendous - I barely used the Glannon because I found my professor's explanations to be much clearer. He had his own system of reasoning through certain kinds of problems, and gave us plenty of practice, so I think relying too much on the E&E could have been detrimental.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Nm.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:29 pm

24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.
http://www.amazon.com/Emanuel-Law-Outli ... =1-1-fkmr0

I used this and it helped to understand the material but in the end our exam was just RAP.

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:40 pm

apper123 wrote:
24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.

I am using the same casebook, and so far the Gilbert's that apper posted is amazing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 pm

sanpiero wrote:
apper123 wrote:
24secure wrote:
Dukenminier.

if you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you use the supplement beyond simply reading it through?
Read it along with the in-class readings, and then I used it to create my outline. It's important to double check that what you are reading in the supp correlates to what is in the casebook, so you should have your casebook open next to you double checking chapter headings and discussions. Plus they have a helpful table of casebooks in the front of the outline.

I used CALI lessons extensively as well. They seemed to correlate quite well with this casebook. I attribute my A in that class to CALI more than the outline honestly.

24secure

New

Post by 24secure » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 pm

I used CALI lessons extensively as well. They seemed to correlate quite well with this casebook. I attribute my A in that class to CALI more than the outline honestly.
I'm torn about whether do the particular CALI lessons after we get finished with that topic or whether to just save all the lessons until I start preparing for finals. For Contracts, I saved them all to the end, and ended up doing pretty well in that class. I don't know, maybe I would have done better if I had done them consistently throughout the semester.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:33 pm

24secure wrote:
I'm torn about whether do the particular CALI lessons after we get finished with that topic or whether to just save all the lessons until I start preparing for finals. For Contracts, I saved them all to the end, and ended up doing pretty well in that class. I don't know, maybe I would have done better if I had done them consistently throughout the semester.
I think there's enough that you can do both. I did the basic intro lessons starting a bit over halfway through the semester. The week prior to the final I did 3-4 massive property "overall review" lessons they have. Those were great.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:00 am

24secure wrote:So me and the rest of the class are having a very difficult time following our Property professor. I am considering just studying and taking my notes and outline from the Property E&E.

I'm kind of nervous about this, as I'm not sure I will do to good on the final from getting all my knowledge from and E&E.

So tell me, how stupid is this?
I do all my work from an E&E (or the best supplement available for the class). I do my best to get a hold of an old professor outline, though, and read through it to make sure the supplement hasn't missed anything the professor covered in class. Taken this approach for the last two semesters and it's worked very well, but I've always learned best reading on my own. Assuming your E&E covers everything your professor discusses (seems likely, the Property E&E is good & fairly extensive), I don't see anything stupid about this approach.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”