1L Internship

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MIA

1L Internship

Postby MIA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks!!
Last edited by MIA on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSN_M3

Re: 1L Internship - Goldman Sachs legal dept. or Law Firm?

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:48 pm

I'd go with Goldman Sachs. The name id alone will bolster your resume immensly.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:I'd go with Goldman Sachs. The name id alone will bolster your resume immensly.

Agree. GS on a resume opens doors.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow, those are great. employers will like the all. I really wish i was u, b/c i wont be getting paid this summer.

I would pick Goldman...in house + name recognition...and i have heard great things about their 2L summer program

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

MIA wrote:Also, if anyone knows what kind of stuff a Goldman Sachs 1L intern does, please share.

See the bulldozer in the back? You'll be pushing the coin around to ensure primo swimming conditions.
(Those poor saps at the vault entrance are, in fact, the taxpayers.)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. (See, because they make SO MUCH MONEY!)

Congratulations on the options.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:53 pm

GS

MIA

Postby MIA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I agree that Goldman Sachs on resume is a pro because of name recognition. However, i'm not exactly sure what kind of stuff their in-house interns would do... would it even be relevant to big law firms? Besides it being a powerful company, I'm also not sure why big law firm recruiters would find this attractable. Can someone elaborate?

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm

MIA wrote:Three 1L internship possibilities might be opening up.
1 - Goldman Sachs 1L in their legal department
2 & 3 - 1 lower end big law firm, and another higher end mid-size firm. Both have starting 1yr pay at around 140k

I'm not sure I'd want to work for any of these companies after graduating. But I do eventually want to work for a good Big Law firm. What do you think would make me more attractable to these Big Law firms, a 1L internship with Goldman Sachs, or a 1L internship with a low-end big law firm?

Also, if anyone knows what kind of stuff a Goldman Sachs 1L intern does, please share.

Thanks!

For those of us awed by your amazing job-getting capabilities, would you provide a little personal info?

I'd love to know where you go, if you got these offers before or after grades, if it was after grades - how you did grade/rank-wise, and how you went about applying to these places? A PM would work too...

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Some time ago I read something to the effect of "The average GS employee makes 500K, with custodial and secretarial salaries averaged in". GS controls Wall Street. Is it any surprise that they emerged from the recession stronger than when they went into it? They're the only company with so much power and leverage across the economic and political lines.

That said, everyone it GS works his/her ass off. They're like residents in medical school. 24+ hour shifts are not uncommon, when you're attempting to bill as many hours as possible, competing against top ranked Harvard JD/MBAs, etc.

I'd take the internship and run with it. If you can manage the grueling and competitive work at GS, you can manage it anywhere. If not, having GS on your resume will open many doors for you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:59 pm

MIA wrote:I agree that Goldman Sachs on resume is a pro because of name recognition. However, i'm not exactly sure what kind of stuff their in-house interns would do... would it even be relevant to big law firms? Besides it being a powerful company, I'm also not sure why big law firm recruiters would find this attractable. Can someone elaborate?

Ditto. Very interested.

SplitterPride

Postby SplitterPride » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:That said, everyone it GS works his/her ass off. They're like residents in medical school. 24+ hour shifts are not uncommon, when you're attempting to bill as many hours as possible, competing against top ranked Harvard JD/MBAs, etc.

A lil bit exaggerated, but point well taken.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:02 pm

SplitterPride wrote:
RSN_M3 wrote:That said, everyone it GS works his/her ass off. They're like residents in medical school. 24+ hour shifts are not uncommon, when you're attempting to bill as many hours as possible, competing against top ranked Harvard JD/MBAs, etc.

PE?

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:05 pm

SplitterPride wrote:

Perhaps that's not the case for attorneys at GS, but for their I-bankers, that really is the case. I worked at a company and we were contracted by GS. During the project, the individual overseeing the work was accessible literally 20+ hours a day. Someone in our Moscow office would send him an e-mail during the day. Response 2 minutes later. Twelve hours later, our Houston office sent an e-mail. Response 2 minutes later. This went on and on during the course of the contract.

lolwut

Postby lolwut » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:06 pm

2 & 3 - 1 lower end big law firm, and another higher end mid-size firm. Both have starting 1yr pay at around 140k

I'm not sure I'd want to work for any of these companies after graduating. But I do eventually want to work for a good Big Law firm. What do you think would make me more attractable to these Big Law firms, a 1L internship with Goldman Sachs, or a 1L internship with a low-end big law firm?

Also, if anyone knows what kind of stuff a Goldman Sachs 1L intern does, please share.

Thanks!

Opening up for you or simply "opening up?" There's a rather important distinction to be made. If you don't know what a GS 1L does, you're probably implying that it's just a position becomming available for the 5,000+ resume toting piranhas. If I'm wrong, then congrats, and I would recommend GS. Haven't you heard from Lloyd Blankfein himself? They're doing "god's work."

You'd be a worker angel.... or demon, depending on who you ask/your worldview/etc. ;)

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:07 pm

also FWIW, a friend's Dad is an exec at Goldman and, according to him, everyone in legal is bored and wants to switch to the business side. Also he said their hours weren't as bad.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Top student in college...the best
Top student in law school / business school...the best of the best
Employed in biglaw...the best of the best of the best
Employed at GS...the best of the best of the best of the best

The OP must have amazing credentials. Big props to you.

Postby 270910 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:18 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:Top student in college...the best

:roll:

lolwut

Postby lolwut » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Interesting - have you heard of Sergey Aleynikov?

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:44 pm

lolwut wrote:

Interesting - have you heard of Sergey Aleynikov?

lol wut? Yes I have.

brows

Postby brows » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 pm

lolwut wrote:

Thanks!

Opening up for you or simply "opening up?" There's a rather important distinction to be made. If you don't know what a GS 1L does, you're probably implying that it's just a position becomming available for the 5,000+ resume toting piranhas. If I'm wrong, then congrats, and I would recommend GS. Haven't you heard from Lloyd Blankfein himself? They're doing "god's work."

You'd be a worker angel.... or demon, depending on who you ask/your worldview/etc. ;)

He/she goes to Rutgers. I think the focus here is on the "might."

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:32 pm

disco_barred wrote:

:roll:

+1

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:41 pm

if you were the top student in law school, wouldnt you be virtually guaranteed biglaw? thus meaning that best of the best = BotBotB?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:20 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
For those of us awed by your amazing job-getting capabilities, would you provide a little personal info?

I'd love to know where you go, if you got these offers before or after grades, if it was after grades - how you did grade/rank-wise, and how you went about applying to these places? A PM would work too...

Maybe I'm overly-cynical, but my first thought was daddy is bigtime I-banker/bigtime financial regulator/fortune 500 C-level.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Golden Sacks

--ImageRemoved--

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

agentzer0 wrote:

Thanks!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”