Phi Kappa Phi?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VincentChase

Phi Kappa Phi?

Postby VincentChase » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:06 pm

So I got an invitation in the mail today for this. It says that it is supposedly for the top 7.5 percent of undergraduate students at a particular university and the top 10 percent in a graduate program.

Is this legit or some sort of scam? I read a New York Times article a few months back about the wild proliferation of "honor societies" at high schools these days, so I'm by nature skeptical about this sort of thing.

Plus I don't want to be the only person showing up for the initiation ceremony like some sort of d-bag!

Kiersten1985

Re: Phi Kappa Phi?

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Phi Beta Kappa is really the only one people care about.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Phi Beta Kappa is really the only one people care about.

So, in other words, it's a scam?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 pm

cuntmuffins

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:55 pm

VincentChase wrote:So I got an invitation in the mail today for this. It says that it is supposedly for the top 7.5 percent of undergraduate students at a particular university and the top 10 percent in a graduate program.

Is this legit or some sort of scam? I read a New York Times article a few months back about the wild proliferation of "honor societies" at high schools these days, so I'm by nature skeptical about this sort of thing.

Plus I don't want to be the only person showing up for the initiation ceremony like some sort of d-bag!

I'm a member. Fun ceremony and cool looking certificate to put on the wall.

Postby 58103 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 pm

It's seemed pretty worthless to me. Maybe it varies by location, but at my university all they do is send you a newsletter every couple months and then ask for money. They don't really do any meetings or anything that requires involvement.

timshel

Postby timshel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 pm

I was skeptical at first too, but it's legit. i joined.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 pm

These honor societies that don't do anything sound like a scam to me. I got a letter for this as well and I tossed it in the trash. I mean why pay them $50 to put something on your resume? It's not even something that you can talk about during an interview because you don't do anything. You could probably even get away with putting that you are a member on your resume and saving the $50 since you don't do anything ever so it's not like you're going to be asked questions about it during an interview.

I'm a member of beta gamma sigma (business honor society) and it was the biggest waste of money. The only things I got out of it was a certificate, a couple magazines for 6 months, and spam email once every few weeks. I probably wouldn't have joined if it wasn't for one of my profs in UG, who was also a member, nagging me into joining.

EDIT- I could just be all wrong about this and if I am please do let me know (i.e. there is some appreciable benefit to joining besides another line on your resume) and I'll fish that letter out of my trash, but it doesn't sound that way based on what was posted so far.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:16 am

I didn't join my history honor one, and I don't think I've been set back one bit.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:24 am

I prefer Aye Felta Thigh to Phi Kappa Phi, myself.

ruski

Postby ruski » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:34 pm

i was invited to join beta gamma sigma, but declined, as i didn't understand why i had to pay 150 dollars to receive a reward. then my first interview ever as a 1L, the guy (who was also a business major) looks at my resume, notices my undergrad GPA, and says "oh you must be beta gamma sigma"

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm

rad law wrote:I didn't join my history honor one, and I don't think I've been set back one bit.

I don't anticipate that joining or not joining will set me back or help me out one way or another. So it's not really that. But if it's a legitimate honor, then I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the $50. I'm a late bloomer who wasn't in National Honor Society in high school, so there's some personal satisfaction to being a top 10-percenter for me if this kind of thing is legit and not a scam.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Hm, well as far as "legitimate" goes, the chapter at my UG actually does have officers, meetings, etc.

However, here are my feelings on honor societies: In a few of my organizations in undergrad, I've been responsible for reading through all the applications of prospective members. The more I read, the more I realized how little these honor societies mean. I was more interested in reading about applicants who had done something with their time, instead of shelling out the money to join every honor society they got an invitation to. When lots of applicants have the same honor societies on their resumes, you know which ones are bogus.

As far as the personal satisfaction goes: are you serious? Let the invitation be the satisfaction. No need to waste $50 when you already know you're in the upper percentiles of GPA. It's your money to blow, though.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:12 pm

VincentChase wrote:
rad law wrote:I didn't join my history honor one, and I don't think I've been set back one bit.

I don't anticipate that joining or not joining will set me back or help me out one way or another. So it's not really that. But if it's a legitimate honor, then I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the $50. I'm a late bloomer who wasn't in National Honor Society in high school, so there's some personal satisfaction to being a top 10-percenter for me if this kind of thing is legit and not a scam.

It's your money, so do with it what you will, but this $50 would probably be better spent on a celebratory handle of Jack plus a 2-liter of Coke.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:21 pm

+1. Look at law firms websites, they will put "Phi Beta Kappa" next to someone's UG education. You will never see any others listed. Is Phi Kappa Phi like Phi Beta Kappa but for schools that didn't make the cut? I've never heard of it.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:39 pm

rad law wrote:
VincentChase wrote:

It's your money, so do with it what you will, but this $50 would probably be better spent on a celebratory handle of Jack plus a 2-liter of Coke.

Agreed. Buy a bottle of Jager. Ice cold Jager.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm

All those "honors" societies are pretty much worthless and just want your money. Granted there are the few like phi beta kappa that hold some prestige, but most are black holes for green.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

+1. Look at law firms websites, they will put "Phi Beta Kappa" next to someone's UG education. You will never see any others listed. Is Phi Kappa Phi like Phi Beta Kappa but for schools that didn't make the cut? I've never heard of it.

Phi Kappa Phi for all majors, whereas Phi Beta Kappa is only liberal arts.

JoeK

Postby JoeK » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Phi Kappa Phi is very legit and with the membership, my wife and I receive discounts from many top stores, rental cars and hotels. I was very skeptical about it too. But I don't regret it at all. They are also helpful in job search though we have not had any need for that service.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 pm

JoeK wrote:Phi Kappa Phi is very legit and with the membership, my wife and I receive discounts from many top stores, rental cars and hotels. I was very skeptical about it too. But I don't regret it at all. They are also helpful in job search though we have not had any need for that service.

This isn't suspicious at all.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 pm

charlesjd wrote:All those "honors" societies are pretty much worthless and just want your money. Granted there are the few like phi beta kappa that hold some prestige, but most are black holes for green.

This. I wasn't about to blow 80-100 bucks on Phi Beta Kappa either.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Blindmelon wrote: Is Phi Kappa Phi like Phi Beta Kappa but for schools that didn't make the cut? I've never heard of it.

Some colleges don't participate in Phi Beta Kappa, instead they do Phi Kappa Phi.

I don't think joining either of these societies matters as your GPA already reflects the same information. But this is as legit as any other honor society.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
charlesjd wrote:All those "honors" societies are pretty much worthless and just want your money. Granted there are the few like phi beta kappa that hold some prestige, but most are black holes for green.

This. I wasn't about to blow 80-100 bucks on Phi Beta Kappa either.

Worth it, imo. Came up more than once in OCI interviews.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Stanford Law sent me a packet with "sample resumes" of past successful Stanford Law students when they wanted me to apply there (this is a common thing they do for minorities). The applicants had ridiculous work experience and education but two of the three they sent had "Golden Key International Honor Society" listed under academic achievements. I always thought Golden Key was a scam. But if Stanford Law doesn't have a problem with it then neither do I.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

Really?

http://www.bassberry.com/search?search= ... a%20phi%22

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”