Restarting at another law school after one semester?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KSCO

Restarting at another law school after one semester?

Postby KSCO » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:19 am

Is it possible to potentially drop out after one semester (I'm at a T30), apply to a substantially lower (T3) law school I turned down in a rural area and re-start in the fall at another law school as a 1L? How would this affect my FAFSA?

I wouldn't be able to transfer due to grades which are absolutely horrific this semester (although I love law, I just needed to learn how to issue spot and write exams), and this is a very small school/community (in part what I deeply miss) so I feel I would be really missing out even if I could transfer. I am on almost a full scholarship (aside from what I took out through FAFSA), so I would not be out too much monetarily. Is it possible to erase the semester and start over as if I never attended LS this year?

Re: Restarting at another law school after one semester?

Postby 270910 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 am

No.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Nope, no do-overs. You don't get to hide a semester from the world.

Attempting to do so is also certain to get you a C&F interview if and when you do finally graduate from law school.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:30 am

KSCO wrote:Is it possible to potentially drop out after one semester (I'm at a T30), apply to a substantially lower (T3) law school I turned down in a rural area and re-start in the fall at another law school as a 1L? How would this affect my FAFSA?

I wouldn't be able to transfer due to grades which are absolutely horrific this semester (although I love law, I just needed to learn how to issue spot and write exams), and this is a very small school/community (in part what I deeply miss) so I feel I would be really missing out even if I could transfer. I am on almost a full scholarship (aside from what I took out through FAFSA), so I would not be out too much monetarily. Is it possible to erase the semester and start over as if I never attended LS this year?

Why would you even want to do this if you're at a T30 with almost a full scholarship? You're going to have a rough time in the job market either way. You'd be a lot better off saving the money and having a much better school name on your resume for the long term.

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 am

dropping out to attend a lower school is a horrible idea.......especially when you didn't perform well at the higher ranked school. you shouldn't assume just because it is a lower ranked school it will be a better experience (i.e. much easier). you should probably stick it out for the full year, and if you don't improve....might want to reconsider law school as a whole.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Why on earth would you even want to do this? You said you are on almost a full scholarship, so you're not out much even if you stay. Even if you fall at the bottom of your class and end up jobless when you graduate you are really no worse off then you would be out in the real world right now trying to find a job without law school (assuming 1) they won't yank your scholly, and 2) you are like 95% of law students and have some type of worthless liberal arts UG degree). I'd say if shit really hits the fan and your grades are absolute shit after this year just go out and party your ass off, completely blow off school (and make sure when you do go to class that you are either shitfaced or ripped out of your gourd), and enjoy a year prior to getting kicked out of law school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”