Married During Law School?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jcl2

Re: Married During Law School?

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 pm

I don't think getting married is that much of a life changing experience and won't really change your law school experience much, assuming you have already been in a committed relationship for a while. The idea that once you are married you can no longer relate or interact socially with unmarried people seems bizarre to me. I got married just before starting a masters program a few years ago and I don't think my experience would have been that different if I had not been married. I had single friends, couple friends, and married friends, I went out to the bars on occasion, I went to and threw parties on occasion, and I stayed in and did things with just my wife sometimes; not really any different than if I had just been in a serious committed non-married relationship. Having kids on the other hand does change things a little, since you can't just go out whenever you want without making plans ahead of time. I have a three month old now and will be starting law school in the fall, my schedule will be a little more structured and restricted than a lot of my peers, but I don't think it will prevent me from having friends that don't have kids and/or aren't married.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:02 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:So you're married to a rich Russian oligarch who is funding your education with oil money??

not russian and no oil money ... indeed, if that were the case, I wouldn't have taken out any student loans.

I revise my guess to a Japanese Heiress whose domineering father expects a son-in-law with a law degree. The money is limited as he refuses to release the inheritance until all his conditions are met.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:02 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:I'm confused. You dislike her, yet you take her money every month. Does she know you dislike her?

I've never asked ... I don't really know ... right now, divorce is too much of a hassle and I figure that I will just let things play out until after OCI next year.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:03 pm

PM me her info when yall split up. I like the sound of this arrangement

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

chadwick..wow. sorry to hear that. sounds crappy

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

goosey wrote:chadwick..wow. sorry to hear that. sounds crappy

+1 that's really rough. Hope it works out for you guys.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

[quote="jcl2"]I don't think getting married is that much of a life changing experience and won't really change your law school experience much, assuming you have already been in a committed relationship for a while. The idea that once you are married you can no longer relate or interact socially with unmarried people seems bizarre to me. I got married just before starting a masters program a few years ago and I don't think my experience would have been that different if I had not been married. I had single friends, couple friends, and married friends, I went out to the bars on occasion, I went to and threw parties on occasion, and I stayed in and did things with just my wife sometimes; not really any different than if I had just been in a serious committed non-married relationship. Having kids on the other hand does change things a little, since you can't just go out whenever you want without making plans ahead of time. I have a three month old now and will be starting law school in the fall, my schedule will be a little more structured and restricted than a lot of my peers, but I don't think it will prevent me from having friends that don't have kids and/or aren't married.[/quote]

Prepare yourself my friend, prepare yourself :)

I have a 2 year old and we just started over again with our second, yikes! busy busy busy

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 pm

kittenmittons wrote:PM me her info when yall split up. I like the sound of this arrangement

+1 i can help increase the odds

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:08 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
jcl2 wrote:I don't think getting married is that much of a life changing experience and won't really change your law school experience much, assuming you have already been in a committed relationship for a while. The idea that once you are married you can no longer relate or interact socially with unmarried people seems bizarre to me. I got married just before starting a masters program a few years ago and I don't think my experience would have been that different if I had not been married. I had single friends, couple friends, and married friends, I went out to the bars on occasion, I went to and threw parties on occasion, and I stayed in and did things with just my wife sometimes; not really any different than if I had just been in a serious committed non-married relationship. Having kids on the other hand does change things a little, since you can't just go out whenever you want without making plans ahead of time. I have a three month old now and will be starting law school in the fall, my schedule will be a little more structured and restricted than a lot of my peers, but I don't think it will prevent me from having friends that don't have kids and/or aren't married.[/quote]

Prepare yourself my friend, prepare yourself :)

I have a 2 year old and we just started over again with our second, yikes! busy busy busy

Off topic aside but at the Stanford Law graduation, students with families walk across the stage to get their degrees with their kids (mostly little babies). It is really, really cute.