Unsolicited Resumes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ignatius J. Reilly

Unsolicited Resumes

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Has anyone ever sent a resume, along with transcripts, writing samples, and a cover letter to a firm without the firm soliciting resumes? There is a smaller firm in the city where I go to law school that specializes in the area of law I want to practice, and I would love to clerk there, but the firm has not posted any job opportunities on the school's job service nor is there an employment section on their website; so I am kind of hesitant to just send a package out of the blue. Anyone ever done this? Any luck?

Aeroplane

Re: Unsolicited Resumes

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Ignatius J. Reilly wrote:Has anyone ever sent a resume, along with transcripts, writing samples, and a cover letter to a firm without the firm soliciting resumes? There is a smaller firm in the city where I go to law school that specializes in the area of law I want to practice, and I would love to clerk there, but the firm has not posted any job opportunities on the school's job service nor is there an employment section on their website; so I am kind of hesitant to just send a package out of the blue. Anyone ever done this? Any luck?
Yes. If they're not interested, they will either ignore you or send a rejection. Go for it.

linquest

Postby linquest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 am

I've done it successfully. But if it's one firm in particular that you're targeting, don't just send the package and leave it at that. Methods:

Cold-Call: Call the firm and ask if they would consider hiring someone for the summer. If they won't, then you don't need to waste your time anymore (though you should probably try to wrangle an informational interview to start networking for later). Ask specifically who you should address your cover letter to. Follow up phone call a week after they should have received it (mention this is in your cover letter).

Networking: Contact an alum from your school that works there. If there isn't one, try to meet one of the attorneys through a group function (Bar Association). Get an informational interview--do NOT ask for a job at this point, but do give them your resume for reference. Hopefully, you leave a good enough impression at the II that you're the first one they think of if they decide to hire, or that attorney might persuade the firm to create a job for you.

Ignatius J. Reilly

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:21 pm

linquest wrote:I've done it successfully. But if it's one firm in particular that you're targeting, don't just send the package and leave it at that. Methods:

Cold-Call: Call the firm and ask if they would consider hiring someone for the summer. If they won't, then you don't need to waste your time anymore (though you should probably try to wrangle an informational interview to start networking for later). Ask specifically who you should address your cover letter to. Follow up phone call a week after they should have received it (mention this is in your cover letter).

Networking: Contact an alum from your school that works there. If there isn't one, try to meet one of the attorneys through a group function (Bar Association). Get an informational interview--do NOT ask for a job at this point, but do give them your resume for reference. Hopefully, you leave a good enough impression at the II that you're the first one they think of if they decide to hire, or that attorney might persuade the firm to create a job for you.

This sounds like very good advice. Thank you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”