Financial aid and marriage?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawman335

Financial aid and marriage?

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:58 am

Hey all,

Just looking to cull from your collective wisdom. I am engaged and planning to begin law school in Fall '07. We are debating whether or not to get married before we move off to wherever it is I get into school. I am hoping to get some decent need-based financial aid as I am an older student, completely independent from my parents, and dirt poor. My question is, because my soon-to-be wife is not quite as poor as me, if we are married when I start school will her financial status lessen the likelihood or amount of need-based financial aid I might receive?

im_blue

Re: Financial aid and marriage?

Postby im_blue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 am

Unless you're going to HYS, need-based aid is more or less non-existent for most law schools. Even those that give need-based aid considers a combination of merit (i.e. numbers) and need.

In any case, your wife's finances will definitely count in assessing your financial need.

Re: Financial aid and marriage?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:42 am

lawman335 wrote:Hey all,

Just looking to cull from your collective wisdom. I am engaged and planning to begin law school in Fall '07. We are debating whether or not to get married before we move off to wherever it is I get into school. I am hoping to get some decent need-based financial aid as I am an older student, completely independent from my parents, and dirt poor. My question is, because my soon-to-be wife is not quite as poor as me, if we are married when I start school will her financial status lessen the likelihood or amount of need-based financial aid I might receive?

May I borrow your time machine?

Also like the other person said, need aid is a myth.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”