New and in need of advice

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nylost

New and in need of advice

Postby nylost » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Hello I apologize as I am new and hope I am not breaking any rules or protocol here but I need advice. I currently am planning on taking the June LSAT and have been taking sessions with a private tutor for the last 2-3 months. My tutoring is rather expensive, ($350 per session, 2 hours a session) and originally I was planning on taking the test in February but have come to the conclusion I need much more time to prepare. This would then mean I would continue tutoring till then which would amount to a large amount of money being spent to my tutor. This wouldn't be an issue but I do not feel confident with my tutors methods and manner in which she conducts the session. It is a very unprofessional setting as it is done from her home with constant distractions and interruptions. I scored in the mid 140s on my diagnostic and I know this is very low but again I did take it in her kitchen with her husband loading groceries in the fridge behind me and the phone constantly ringing. I chose to ignore these factors and felt I was just looking for an excuse to not have to go through all this. My question really is, with my low diagnostic is it possible on my own to achieve a score of 156 and up which is my goal. I have already purchased all the actual Tests and was hoping if anyone could recommend any books that would help me with everything? I am going to take a practice test tomorrow and see my score as well as where my weaknesses and strengths are and take it from there. As I was typing this post a friend of mine actually had a tutor he knows call me and I have meeting set up with him for Thursday morning, so I am hoping I like this tutor and his rates are a bit more reasonable. Any advice on my whole situation?

lightbulb1986

Re: New and in need of advice

Postby lightbulb1986 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 pm

dude if this isn't a flame take a powerscore class. you're getting ripped off hardcore.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 pm

flame

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 pm

You are in a tough situation (assuming not a flame) and need to separate yourself from your current tutor, STAT. You should absolutely be able to score 156.

Search and read some of the LSAT prep threads on here before your meeting with the new tutor to get a sense of what prep should be like. Depending on what sorts of rates your new tutor is offering you may just want to take one of the tried and true classes, they're like $1k and are fairly helpful in teaching basic concepts ... after that it turns into more self-prep and practice tests anyway.

nylost

Postby nylost » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks for the responses so quickly.. I am a bit of a lawschool forum virgin so when you say flame... it means?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 pm

nylost wrote:Thanks for the responses so quickly.. I am a bit of a lawschool forum virgin so when you say flame... it means?

It means your claim is so outrageous they think you're not for real, you're just making this up to mess with people on the forum. That's how outrageous what you're spending is. Stop IMMEDIATELY.

PowerScore is a company that does LSAT classes instead of one-on-one tutoring. It's cheaper overall because tuition is several hundred dollars but you get several weeks worth of structured help out of it. There are other groups (TestMasters, Kaplan, Princeton Review) that also do this but PowerScore seems to be recommended a lot on these forums. I recommend Princeton Review myself.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
nylost wrote:Thanks for the responses so quickly.. I am a bit of a lawschool forum virgin so when you say flame... it means?

It means your claim is so outrageous they think you're not for real, you're just making this up to mess with people on the forum. That's how outrageous what you're spending is. Stop IMMEDIATELY.

PowerScore is a company that does LSAT classes instead of one-on-one tutoring. It's cheaper overall because tuition is several hundred dollars but you get several weeks worth of structured help out of it. There are other groups (TestMasters, Kaplan, Princeton Review) that also do this but PowerScore seems to be recommended a lot on these forums. I recommend Princeton Review myself.

If this isn't a flame... fuck law school. I going to go into the business of tutoring kids with dreams of 156.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:If this isn't a flame... fuck law school. I going to go into the business of tutoring kids with dreams of 156.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 pm

nylost wrote:$350 per session, 2 hours a session

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 pm

OP, where are you located? You can probably meet a more reliable and cheaper tutor on this site if you want to keep 1-on-1 going. That is a ridiculous amount of cash for tutoring.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 pm

God, I charge 1/5th of that and I still can't find ten students at a time. I'm probably more qualified, too.

I hope you did not get charged to take that practice test in her kitchen. That would be some serious bullshit. I'd say take one more session with her but grab her purse on the way out.

nylost

Postby nylost » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 am

I initially wanted to attend law school in the fall `10 semester, I was looking at the Feb exam as my last hope in doing so. I had no one to advise me on lsat tutoring in general and I had to make a quick decision. I came upon her as I searched the internet for tutors and decided this would be a great solution. Again I was alone in my decision making, I really had no one to turn to for any guidance, I should have done better research but with school, work and the pressure of going to law school this fall in the end I made a quick and bad choice. I had no knowledge of the LSAT prior to this tutor, so the first few lessons everything was new to me and I was trying to remain positive and maintain a good attitude towards everything. After become a bit more comfortable with the exam and getting a better grasp on it I came to the realization that for $350 a session this is bullshit. I do feel very stupid for this. As to the posts above, I did not pay for the kitchen exam lol, that was free (also she did give me a bottle of water one session for free), and to the other comment, I feel 1on1 tutoring would be the best for me, I have sat in on the princeton and kaplan prep courses and favor the tutoring. I am in Queens, New York so if you could recommend anyone that would be great. For now I am looking to purchase some books on my own, I already own all the actual tests. Can you anyone recommend any books? Is "Cracking the LSAT, 2010 Edition" helpful?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 am

nylost wrote:I initially wanted to attend law school in the fall `10 semester, I was looking at the Feb exam as my last hope in doing so. I had no one to advise me on lsat tutoring in general and I had to make a quick decision. I came upon her as I searched the internet for tutors and decided this would be a great solution. Again I was alone in my decision making, I really had no one to turn to for any guidance, I should have done better research but with school, work and the pressure of going to law school this fall in the end I made a quick and bad choice. I had no knowledge of the LSAT prior to this tutor, so the first few lessons everything was new to me and I was trying to remain positive and maintain a good attitude towards everything. After become a bit more comfortable with the exam and getting a better grasp on it I came to the realization that for $350 a session this is bullshit. I do feel very stupid for this. As to the posts above, I did not pay for the kitchen exam lol, that was free (also she did give me a bottle of water one session for free), and to the other comment, I feel 1on1 tutoring would be the best for me, I have sat in on the princeton and kaplan prep courses and favor the tutoring. I am in Queens, New York so if you could recommend anyone that would be great. For now I am looking to purchase some books on my own, I already own all the actual tests. Can you anyone recommend any books? Is "Cracking the LSAT, 2010 Edition" helpful?

First off, stop posting in a Law Student forum. Secondly, read this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Read it... Learn it... Live it!

nylost

Postby nylost » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:27 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

If this isn't a flame... fuck law school. I going to go into the business of tutoring kids with dreams of 156.

Interesting reply, I feel you have misinterpreted what I said. I don't believe that I dream of obtaining a score of 156, it is merely where I have set my goal based on my diagnostic exam. I am confident I can score way above 156 but for now I do not have much to factually back that up seeing how I have only taken the full exam once, I don't want to get ahead of myself.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:28 am

I'm still expecting a "suggest:www.sosonike.com" out of this thread.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:30 am

You should really check out the LSAT prep forum on this site. it has a ton of info regarding books, etc.

I suspect the appropriate rate for a newbie tutor with a 99th percentile LSAT score is in the $25-35/hr range. While obviously smart, if they don't have a client list and the appropriate references/reputation, you do not need to pay more than that (I bet you can find someone on craigslist.org under lessons section). This can be a good option especially since you can pay for a single lesson pretty cheaply and see if the correct vibe/style is there.

For anyone claiming to be an "expert" and charging over $50/hr, make sure you ask for references from clients at a minimum. Hopefully they also have an established website, a reputation for excellent tutoring online, etc.

I am in Boston but I am sure there will be other people who know folks in the NYC area.

nylost

Postby nylost » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
nylost wrote:I initially wanted to attend law school in the fall `10 semester, I was looking at the Feb exam as my last hope in doing so. I had no one to advise me on lsat tutoring in general and I had to make a quick decision. I came upon her as I searched the internet for tutors and decided this would be a great solution. Again I was alone in my decision making, I really had no one to turn to for any guidance, I should have done better research but with school, work and the pressure of going to law school this fall in the end I made a quick and bad choice. I had no knowledge of the LSAT prior to this tutor, so the first few lessons everything was new to me and I was trying to remain positive and maintain a good attitude towards everything. After become a bit more comfortable with the exam and getting a better grasp on it I came to the realization that for $350 a session this is bullshit. I do feel very stupid for this. As to the posts above, I did not pay for the kitchen exam lol, that was free (also she did give me a bottle of water one session for free), and to the other comment, I feel 1on1 tutoring would be the best for me, I have sat in on the princeton and kaplan prep courses and favor the tutoring. I am in Queens, New York so if you could recommend anyone that would be great. For now I am looking to purchase some books on my own, I already own all the actual tests. Can you anyone recommend any books? Is "Cracking the LSAT, 2010 Edition" helpful?

First off, am I causing you any issue with my words being displayed on this page? How about instead of attempting to be an jackass you either don't take part in my posting/ignore it/ or attempt to be a civilized human being and offer some sort of helpful advice. If you are in law school or practicing law, this alone does not make you better than anyone or give you the power to speak down to another. "First off" If you have issue with what I am posting with regards to the misplacement of the topic I suggest instead of attempting to belittle my on a public level you simply message me and explain my errors, as I stated in my first post I am new here, found this website hours ago and am not too familiar with it, just looking for some help and advice from people who have been in similar positions.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:36 am

nylost wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

First off, am I causing you any issue with my words being displayed on this page? How about instead of attempting to be an jackass you either don't take part in my posting/ignore it/ or attempt to be a civilized human being and offer some sort of helpful advice. If you are in law school or practicing law, this alone does not make you better than anyone or give you the power to speak down to another. "First off" If you have issue with what I am posting with regards to the misplacement of the topic I suggest instead of attempting to belittle my on a public level you simply message me and explain my errors, as I stated in my first post I am new here, found this website hours ago and am not too familiar with it, just looking for some help and advice from people who have been in similar positions.

Fine. Don't read it. Just go fuck yourself you ungrateful piece of shit.

nylost

Postby nylost » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 am

:) You probably did not score well on the reading comp I am assuming. :lol:

...and I did click the link you posted thank you.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 am

--ImageRemoved--

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 am

DCD wrote:I'm still expecting a "suggest:www.sosonike.com" out of this thread.

I miss the WoW gold post things.

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:03 pm

nylost wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

You misinterpreted his reply. He was not being mean to you in any way.
What he was trying to say is that you would get more information/advice if you post in the LSAT preparation forum.
And he is right. If you post there, people that are currently prepping for the LSAT, who are aware of the latest classes, materials, etc can point you in the right direction.
Also, if you read through the posts there, you might already find the answers you're looking for.
Good luck in your preparation :-)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 pm

[EDITED]

:D

nylost

Postby nylost » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:12 pm

I realized this was in the wrong place after the OP and I don't think I am going to a commercial tutoring service. From the way things are looking I am planning on purchasing the Powerscore books, I have all the actual LSATs possible and take it from there. I am meeting another tutor tomorrow at a cafe, hopefully this one is more affordable and professional.

nylost

Postby nylost » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Again thank you to everyone who helped me and gave me good advice, also in pointing my in the right direction forum-wise. I appreciate it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”