Memorizing the Constitution Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nmoor1501

New

Memorizing the Constitution

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm

How helpful do you think it would be to memorize the text of the constitution for Con Law I? My professor seems to enjoy quoting by including "Art. III, Section 2, Clause 4". For the test, would being able to directly and accurately cite the constitution be valuable?

GATORTIM

Silver

Re: Memorizing the Constitution

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:11 pm

you definitely should

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:12 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:How helpful do you think it would be to memorize the text of the constitution for Con Law I? My professor seems to enjoy quoting by including "Art. III, Section 2, Clause 4". For the test, would being able to directly and accurately cite the constitution be valuable?
Know it line by line or don't show up for the test.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:How helpful do you think it would be to memorize the text of the constitution for Con Law I? My professor seems to enjoy quoting by including "Art. III, Section 2, Clause 4". For the test, would being able to directly and accurately cite the constitution be valuable?
Know it line by line or don't show up for the test.
This. You might want to come up with a more relevant adjective than 'helpful.' Like, 'necessary' or 'requisite.'

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:24 pm

would it be a bad idea to memorize the constitution as an 0L?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Roflcopter. You guys are cruel.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Wait, there are people entering law school who haven't already memorized the Constitution?

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Why is there no straight answer out of anyone around here? Guess everyone wants to act like a law school professor.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:30 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:would it be a bad idea to memorize the constitution as an 0L?
Yes. Because this implies that you didn't memorize it as a -1L

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

I guess nobody told them that the ConLaw final at every law school in America is to reproduce the Constitution from memory, including all the parts that aren't actually written in the Constitution

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm actually surprised they still keep a written version of the Constitution around...I memorized it when I was 2, taught by my great grandfather who also had memorized it...

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 pm

The fact that you are asking this now means you are eons behind.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 pm

sckon wrote:
The fact that you are asking this now means you are eons behind.
How so?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm

I think the better question would be whether you need to read the constitution at all for Con Law. Hint: it's the same answer as the one to your original question.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm seriously thinking about memorizing the Constitution for French 102. Should I also do the Articles of Confederation?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:13 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:I'm seriously thinking about memorizing the Constitution for French 102. Should I also do the Articles of Confederation?
Some girl in my con law class last semester memorized the articles of confederation. She started asking questions to clarify certain sections during the review session and the prof pretty much just nicely called her an idiot and told her that wasn't going to be on the exam.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:14 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:I'm seriously thinking about memorizing the Constitution for French 102. Should I also do the Articles of Confederation?

Do pears go with Lucky Charms? Hellayea

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:I think the better question would be whether you need to read the constitution at all for Con Law. Hint: it's the same answer as the one to your original question.
Agree.

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:48 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:I think the better question would be whether you need to read the constitution at all for Con Law. Hint: it's the same answer as the one to your original question.
Agree.
Just wondering, why do you guys feel this way?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 pm

If you don't have the constitution of the US and every country in the EU (including both oral and written constitutions) memorized by 2 years prior to your 0L year (note, not 1L year, 0L year) then don't even consider lawl school.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:I think the better question would be whether you need to read the constitution at all for [strike]Con Law[/strike] any reason in your legal career. Hint: it's the same answer as the one to your original question.
FTFY

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm

If you ever hope to run for president, you'll need to have a pocket copy

Also if you ever want to be on the Daily Show

--ImageRemoved--

Also if you want to have a mysteriously hot wife

--ImageRemoved--

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Can't be bad to have it memorized. Plus, if someone misquotes it, you can smack them down. But for the test specifically, I'd say it won't hurt, and will probably help you move through the test faster.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 am

Can't even begin to get Cs if you don't know the Constitution of at least 3 countries. For comparative purposes, of course.

Come off the internet and go study now!

Nazrix

New

Post by Nazrix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:18 am

Our exam had a short MC section closed book (for a top school this was like the only time this happened) and some of the questions were literally "Article I, Sec X, Clause Y" is: A.) , B.), etc., and the MC answers had different spelling/punctuation, but literally almost the same wording, some answers turned on knowing whether "judge" or "people" was capitalized or not.

If it can happen here, i could imagine a prof trying to make their point by forcing you to memorize the precise words of certain things, especially when it matters....especially in cases of "the privileges AND immunity" clause vs. the "privileges OR immunuties" clause...but also in dumb cases where punctuations/commas could matter to some judges... but I doubt you can memorize the entire thing, just memorize the parts you're supposed to. like the entire BoR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”