Want to increase my typing speed.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 am

Is there anything good I can use to help me increase my typing speed (e.g. typing games, etc)? I can get up to around 90-95 wpm as is, but my accuracy is pretty terrible (I think 70 is the best I can do with good accuracy).

LjakW
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby LjakW » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 am

I like typeracer.com but there's a whole slew of these things online. Google it.

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby luckyjd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 am

I bought my little cousins Mavis Beacon for Christmas. Try that. :)
Last edited by luckyjd on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

Learn Dvorak keyboard.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 am

Post on TLS as fast as you can.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 am

NVM. I just searched this topic. Probably should have done that prior to starting this thread.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:57 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Is there anything good I can use to help me increase my typing speed (e.g. typing games, etc)? I can get up to around 90-95 wpm as is, but my accuracy is pretty terrible (I think 70 is the best I can do with good accuracy).


um WASTE OF TIME . . . typing speed has minimal correlation so long as you can type more than 20 words a minute

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Mario Teaches Typing!!! :D

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Is there anything good I can use to help me increase my typing speed (e.g. typing games, etc)? I can get up to around 90-95 wpm as is, but my accuracy is pretty terrible (I think 70 is the best I can do with good accuracy).


um WASTE OF TIME . . . typing speed has minimal correlation so long as you can type more than 20 words a minute


Funny how you say this to someone who successfully transferred.

You're wrong, by the way. If you can't do analysis faster than 20 WPM, you fail at lawl school.

Edit to add: I have gotten an A or better (or the equivalent) on every law school exam I have taken where there was not a word limit. B+, B+, A- on exams with word limits. That's over a period of 11 exams, at two different schools. I booked 4 of those exams and took the silver on one--on all 5, my exam was also the longest exam submitted.

Typing speed matters, period. It allows for greater care in reading the fact patterns, greater care in forming your analysis because you can "afford" to waste time thinking, greater volume when you have a lot to say, greater editing ability, etc. If there is one thing that I regret about my pre-law-school life, it is the fact that I never learned how to type properly. (I use 2-3 fingers on each hand--the thumb for the space bar on both hands, generally just the pointer finger on my left though sometimes the middle finger gets in on the action, and generally the pointer and middle finger on the right hand.)

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby wiseowl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

LjakW wrote:I like typeracer.com.


and while it may not be the be all and end all, it does matter. i had a direct correlation between exam length and grades. some people didn't.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Is there anything good I can use to help me increase my typing speed (e.g. typing games, etc)? I can get up to around 90-95 wpm as is, but my accuracy is pretty terrible (I think 70 is the best I can do with good accuracy).


um WASTE OF TIME . . . typing speed has minimal correlation so long as you can type more than 20 words a minute


Funny how you say this to someone who successfully transferred.

You're wrong, by the way. If you can't do analysis faster than 20 WPM, you fail at lawl school.

Edit to add: I have gotten an A or better (or the equivalent) on every law school exam I have taken where there was not a word limit. B+, B+, A- on exams with word limits. That's over a period of 11 exams, at two different schools. I booked 4 of those exams and took the silver on one--on all 5, my exam was also the longest exam submitted.

Typing speed matters, period. It allows for greater care in reading the fact patterns, greater care in forming your analysis because you can "afford" to waste time thinking, greater volume when you have a lot to say, greater editing ability, etc. If there is one thing that I regret about my pre-law-school life, it is the fact that I never learned how to type properly. (I use 2-3 fingers on each hand--the thumb for the space bar on both hands, generally just the pointer finger on my left though sometimes the middle finger gets in on the action, and generally the pointer and middle finger on the right hand.)



Did you feel like bragging?

Look, I think there is a lot of focus here on length of exam response and typing speed and I think that it can easily mislead people. You can conduct a clear succinct analysis and do well without having to type 10k words on an exam or typing 100 words a minute. Someone with average typing ability will do fine and their time would be much better spent focusing on improving their analytic abilities. Amazingly, law school exams are graded based on quality of analysis rather than quality of words.

I have not need to compare grades, and will refrain from doing so since many posters are from my school. But, I think there is a significant amount of BAD information being posted on this board mixed in with some very good information. Information that encourages people to improve study techniques or exam taking techniques I think is good. Information that encourages people to diarrhea words on the exam page is bad.

It comes down to this, if you have done every possible thing to compare, and the only thing that remains is working on typing skills and you really have time to kill then go for it . . . otherwise, there are plenty other things to spend your time on.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am

I can say that I have done horribly on an exam where people who wrote literally half as many words or fewer got far better grades than me.

From what I can gather, on the other exams any success I had was due to the fact that my additional rambling eventually meant I covered more points, and if I had been more efficient about it I could've had even higher grades despite that strategy leading to a lower word count.

Increasing typing speed can only get you so much, if you focus on increasing the density of legal application in your answer you can gain a lot more points with your same typing speed.

User avatar
Nazrix
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby Nazrix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:09 am

"Learn Dvorak" TITCR....

Gchat a lot and don't use shorthand, overwhelm your friends with messages.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 am

vamedic:

What it comes down to is that I am not talking about words on the page for the mere sake of words on the page, and neither is anyone else who advocates exam length/typing speed. I am also not trying to brag--people on this site demand proof of competency all the time, so I provide it. To the extent that I am going to be labeled a bragger on this board, it happened a long time ago, because many people know which school I transferred in to. Honestly, if people get offended, that is their business, because I am honestly trying to help people perform better.

Amazingly, if the quality of analysis from two people is identical, the one who has more analysis is going to get more points. Furthermore, as I mentioned, typing speed allows for *superior* analysis, all things being equal, because you can hit far more points on the analysis, and you have more time to take different forks in the road to their logical conclusions. Faster typing speed also allows for greater 'down time' to really think through an analysis before you begin typing it--that point is simply inarguable, it is a matter of mathematics.

On the majority of law school final exams, if you run out of substantive things to say before time runs out, you have missed something in the analysis. On every exam I have written, despite the fact that I write a lot, there are always things in the model answer that I didn't get down. They're rarely because I didn't notice them--I don't get them written down because I simply ran out of my time 'budget' for that particular question, and had to skip some of the more secondary points. The secondary points are what make the difference between a B+ exam and an A+ exam.

Furthermore, typing very quickly allows for editing time. Contrary to popular belief, this can make a significant difference on the bottom line. On several of my exams, I have seen "+X, organization." Even on exams where that is not the case, empirical studies have been done that demonstrate organization *subconsciously* will impact reader comprehension. In other words, even if a professor isn't consciously trying to evaluate organization--hell, even if the prof is consciously trying NOT to--when you are one exam of 100, if you have exactly the same substantive information as someone else, but your organization is better and you have had time to do a quick edit for spelling and grammar, you WILL get a higher score. This is particularly true for professors who only read exams once.

I will admit the following: on an 8-hour take home exam that has no word limit, typing speed probably doesn't matter at all.

Now, on these kinds of threads, my arguments are invariably responded to with "Well, I did really well on XYZ exams and didn't type a lot." Congratulations (and I do mean that sincerely). My question to you, however: Do you have a response to any of the actual points I have made?

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:15 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:vamedic:

What it comes down to is that I am not talking about words on the page for the mere sake of words on the page, and neither is anyone else who advocates exam length/typing speed. I am also not trying to brag--people on this site demand proof of competency all the time, so I provide it. To the extent that I am going to be labeled a bragger on this board, it happened a long time ago, because many people know which school I transferred in to. Honestly, if people get offended, that is their business, because I am honestly trying to help people perform better.

Amazingly, if the quality of analysis from two people is identical, the one who has more analysis is going to get more points. Furthermore, as I mentioned, typing speed allows for *superior* analysis, all things being equal, because you can hit far more points on the analysis, and you have more time to take different forks in the road to their logical conclusions. Faster typing speed also allows for greater 'down time' to really think through an analysis before you begin typing it--that point is simply inarguable, it is a matter of mathematics.

On the majority of law school final exams, if you run out of substantive things to say before time runs out, you have missed something in the analysis. On every exam I have written, despite the fact that I write a lot, there are always things in the model answer that I didn't get down. They're rarely because I didn't notice them--I don't get them written down because I simply ran out of my time 'budget' for that particular question, and had to skip some of the more secondary points. The secondary points are what make the difference between a B+ exam and an A+ exam.

Furthermore, typing very quickly allows for editing time. Contrary to popular belief, this can make a significant difference on the bottom line. On several of my exams, I have seen "+X, organization." Even on exams where that is not the case, empirical studies have been done that demonstrate organization *subconsciously* will impact reader comprehension. In other words, even if a professor isn't consciously trying to evaluate organization--hell, even if the prof is consciously trying NOT to--when you are one exam of 100, if you have exactly the same substantive information as someone else, but your organization is better and you have had time to do a quick edit for spelling and grammar, you WILL get a higher score. This is particularly true for professors who only read exams once.

I will admit the following: on an 8-hour take home exam that has no word limit, typing speed probably doesn't matter at all.

Now, on these kinds of threads, my arguments are invariably responded to with "Well, I did really well on XYZ exams and didn't type a lot." Congratulations (and I do mean that sincerely). My question to you, however: Do you have a response to any of the actual points I have made?


He typed this up in 27.3 seconds.

User avatar
NosferatuDracon
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby NosferatuDracon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 am

LjakW wrote:I like typeracer.com but there's a whole slew of these things online. Google it.


I like this website. Thanks!

adamfort
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby adamfort » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:13 am

NosferatuDracon wrote:
LjakW wrote:I like typeracer.com but there's a whole slew of these things online. Google it.


I like this website. Thanks!


Just practice is not enough as for me. It's better combine practice with theory. So, the key factor of fast typing is proper typing posture and fingers position. Source: SPAM

thegrayman
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby thegrayman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:00 pm

typeracer.com is what I use. Also, evaluate how you type, are you using all your fingers? I improved a lot after I noticed that I wasn't using my ring fingers to type. Once I forced myself to start using them, I sped up. It felt awkward for a while but now it is second nature.

WinbyLazy
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby WinbyLazy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:vamedic:

What it comes down to is that I am not talking about words on the page for the mere sake of words on the page, and neither is anyone else who advocates exam length/typing speed. I am also not trying to brag--people on this site demand proof of competency all the time, so I provide it. To the extent that I am going to be labeled a bragger on this board, it happened a long time ago, because many people know which school I transferred in to. Honestly, if people get offended, that is their business, because I am honestly trying to help people perform better.

Amazingly, if the quality of analysis from two people is identical, the one who has more analysis is going to get more points. Furthermore, as I mentioned, typing speed allows for *superior* analysis, all things being equal, because you can hit far more points on the analysis, and you have more time to take different forks in the road to their logical conclusions. Faster typing speed also allows for greater 'down time' to really think through an analysis before you begin typing it--that point is simply inarguable, it is a matter of mathematics.

On the majority of law school final exams, if you run out of substantive things to say before time runs out, you have missed something in the analysis. On every exam I have written, despite the fact that I write a lot, there are always things in the model answer that I didn't get down. They're rarely because I didn't notice them--I don't get them written down because I simply ran out of my time 'budget' for that particular question, and had to skip some of the more secondary points. The secondary points are what make the difference between a B+ exam and an A+ exam.

Furthermore, typing very quickly allows for editing time. Contrary to popular belief, this can make a significant difference on the bottom line. On several of my exams, I have seen "+X, organization." Even on exams where that is not the case, empirical studies have been done that demonstrate organization *subconsciously* will impact reader comprehension. In other words, even if a professor isn't consciously trying to evaluate organization--hell, even if the prof is consciously trying NOT to--when you are one exam of 100, if you have exactly the same substantive information as someone else, but your organization is better and you have had time to do a quick edit for spelling and grammar, you WILL get a higher score. This is particularly true for professors who only read exams once.

I will admit the following: on an 8-hour take home exam that has no word limit, typing speed probably doesn't matter at all.

Now, on these kinds of threads, my arguments are invariably responded to with "Well, I did really well on XYZ exams and didn't type a lot." Congratulations (and I do mean that sincerely). My question to you, however: Do you have a response to any of the actual points I have made?



On thing I'm not sure if you mentioned (I'm a transfer also, TTTT -> T1) is that typing fast in conjunction with good preparation help me build muscle memory for me fingers! From just rote memorization and repetition, if I think a rule or portion of an analysis, I have it written down quickly after and can move on to the next topic. So, more may not always be better, but typing speed can let you get to more which can always not mean worse... if that makes any sense..

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby bjsesq » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:vamedic:

What it comes down to is that I am not talking about words on the page for the mere sake of words on the page, and neither is anyone else who advocates exam length/typing speed. I am also not trying to brag--people on this site demand proof of competency all the time, so I provide it. To the extent that I am going to be labeled a bragger on this board, it happened a long time ago, because many people know which school I transferred in to. Honestly, if people get offended, that is their business, because I am honestly trying to help people perform better.

Amazingly, if the quality of analysis from two people is identical, the one who has more analysis is going to get more points. Furthermore, as I mentioned, typing speed allows for *superior* analysis, all things being equal, because you can hit far more points on the analysis, and you have more time to take different forks in the road to their logical conclusions. Faster typing speed also allows for greater 'down time' to really think through an analysis before you begin typing it--that point is simply inarguable, it is a matter of mathematics.

On the majority of law school final exams, if you run out of substantive things to say before time runs out, you have missed something in the analysis. On every exam I have written, despite the fact that I write a lot, there are always things in the model answer that I didn't get down. They're rarely because I didn't notice them--I don't get them written down because I simply ran out of my time 'budget' for that particular question, and had to skip some of the more secondary points. The secondary points are what make the difference between a B+ exam and an A+ exam.

Furthermore, typing very quickly allows for editing time. Contrary to popular belief, this can make a significant difference on the bottom line. On several of my exams, I have seen "+X, organization." Even on exams where that is not the case, empirical studies have been done that demonstrate organization *subconsciously* will impact reader comprehension. In other words, even if a professor isn't consciously trying to evaluate organization--hell, even if the prof is consciously trying NOT to--when you are one exam of 100, if you have exactly the same substantive information as someone else, but your organization is better and you have had time to do a quick edit for spelling and grammar, you WILL get a higher score. This is particularly true for professors who only read exams once.

I will admit the following: on an 8-hour take home exam that has no word limit, typing speed probably doesn't matter at all.

Now, on these kinds of threads, my arguments are invariably responded to with "Well, I did really well on XYZ exams and didn't type a lot." Congratulations (and I do mean that sincerely). My question to you, however: Do you have a response to any of the actual points I have made?


Yeah: be more succinct. Your boner for verbosity doesn't mean that is why you crushed lawl school exams.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Want to increase my typing speed.

Postby chup » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Dumb spam necro is dumb.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deadthrone7, jerrycallo, wg6524, Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests