PT/T2 - t14? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

PT/T2 - t14?

Dude, you're good. Stop stressin.
18%
Go for it, someone will let you in.
50%
Don't even bother - part time might as well be no time.
9%
/self
23%

Total votes: 22

stinger35

Silver

PT/T2 - t14?

Post by stinger35 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:31 am

I'm a PT student at a lower T2. I got a 3.9 first semester and top 2-3% of my class. Still, I know it is pretty hard to get into t14 schools as a part timer. I am going to try Chicago/GULC early decisions but am starting to worry that I am gonna be screwed. What do you guys think?

pandacot

Bronze

Re: PT/T2 - t14?

Post by pandacot » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:42 pm

I would say go for it. That being said, I can't stand schools that allow part-time students to attend classes with full-time students. Such BS, but good luck.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 pm

I think everyone gets worked up over something, so I guess everyone has an inferiority complex. You're right, this probably isn't the right thread to discuss my angst towards the ability of someone taking a few classes competing against people who have to balance multiple classes and LRW. Probably more of an angst towards Toledo.
I do, with all seriousness, wish the OP the best in finding a better school.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:13 pm

GULC and UVA will have you. CLS and HLS consider PT students' eligibility on a case by case basis. My classmate is currently pestering NYU to find out whether their credit requirements are absolute, but I believe they are.

Congratulations on a phenomenal semester!

-a PT student planning to stay put.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:17 pm

pandacot wrote:I think everyone gets worked up over something, so I guess everyone has an inferiority complex. You're right, this probably isn't the right thread to discuss my angst towards the ability of someone taking a few classes competing against people who have to balance multiple classes and LRW. Probably more of an angst towards Toledo.
people don't generally do PT just for kicks. they usually have nice things to deal with like jobs, kids, mortgages. i would far rather balance a FT load than a PT plus the second shift.

recommended reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlie_Russell_Hochschild

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20 pm

jayn3 wrote:
pandacot wrote:I think everyone gets worked up over something, so I guess everyone has an inferiority complex. You're right, this probably isn't the right thread to discuss my angst towards the ability of someone taking a few classes competing against people who have to balance multiple classes and LRW. Probably more of an angst towards Toledo.
people don't generally do PT just for kicks. they usually have nice things to deal with like jobs, kids, mortgages. i would far rather balance a FT load than a PT plus the second shift.

recommended reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlie_Russell_Hochschild
I have all those things, but this thread is about the OP's excellent semester and my post wasn't relevant or needed. Nor are more posts that expound on FT/PT differences. If such arguments need to be expounded on, then I would gladly participate in a new thread, but not this one.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:47 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:GULC and UVA will have you. CLS and HLS consider PT students' eligibility on a case by case basis. My classmate is currently pestering NYU to find out whether their credit requirements are absolute, but I believe they are.

Congratulations on a phenomenal semester!

-a PT student planning to stay put.
Let me know if he finds anything out. Northwestern website says they require 30 but admissions made it sound rather flexible - I am wondering if other schools are the same

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:44 pm

OP i noticed that you said you were applying Early Decision to GULC and U of Chi. I was wondering in your part time program how many full grades did you get and how many are "pencil" grades as in, they are full year courses of which you have only completed half of. The reason I ask is because I am in a very similar position, however I only had 3 classes my first semester of which 2 were pencil (full year courses) and 1 was an actual grade of which I received an A. I currently have a 4.0, but that is because I have only had one class. Are you in the same boat? If so, have you asked GULC how they look to transfers from PT for early decision, seeing as how you only have one grade? (i realize you may have 2). Thanks!

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm

iheartlaw wrote:OP i noticed that you said you were applying Early Decision to GULC and U of Chi. I was wondering in your part time program how many full grades did you get and how many are "pencil" grades as in, they are full year courses of which you have only completed half of. The reason I ask is because I am in a very similar position, however I only had 3 classes my first semester of which 2 were pencil (full year courses) and 1 was an actual grade of which I received an A. I currently have a 4.0, but that is because I have only had one class. Are you in the same boat? If so, have you asked GULC how they look to transfers from PT for early decision, seeing as how you only have one grade? (i realize you may have 2). Thanks!
No I have 3. If I was full-time, I would have 4. So its really not that big of a difference and I am hoping admissions realizes that. I had legal writing, Ks, torts (all 1 semester classes). Your situation seems a little more complicated...not sure how ED would work. I am just prayin for UoC really so I can be done with it early- long shot though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”