1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
elliotc

New

1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Post by elliotc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:51 pm

I am a 1L at columbia. Just finished first semester and got A, A-, A-, B-. The B- looks terrible and I am just wondering how this will impact my prospects for OCI. I am aiming to get into a top 10 NYC firm. I would appreciate anyone's view on the potential impact of my grades and any advices in explaining them to employers. Thanks so much for your help!

CCA

New

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Post by CCA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

I think you are overreacting to one grade. The grades are strong overall, and you don't have to explain anything.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm

This OP can't be real. Sorry.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm

lolz
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm

If you are kidding: Kill self, Not funny. If you're real and you HAVE to work at a T10 firm, Kill self, you're awful at life.

That is all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
apper123 wrote:This OP can't be real. Sorry.
Care to elaborate? I know of at least two situations where this exact type of thing happened. Outliers, in some cases, may be due in part to the exam format and grading style of a professor. In those cases, the students got almost the highest grades in your typical issue-spotter essay exams and one low grade in an exam that had extremely concise word limits/peculiar exam instructions (read, not the stock exam instructions on your exam cover sheet). That exam was also graded by a professor with a teaching style/grading method unlike any of the other professors. Not to shift responsibility off the students for the lower grade, I believe that this type of thing can very easily happen and probably often does occur.
Failed issue spot on why it's fake.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Good point. I'm exhausted. But the grade thing sucks.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
I believe that this type of thing can very easily happen and probably often does occur.
Sorry for hijacking, but I think this thread should talk about techniques for dealing with outlier grades, it can't just be me and OP that have this 1L splitter issue. (yes this is selfish hijack but at least some people may be able to benefit from it now)

Firstly, In regard to interviews, any ideas for dealing with one below-median grade when you have all A/A-'s for your first semester?

Secondly, are there any 2L/3L's that have already had to deal with this issue? Interview stories/tips?
Last edited by eth3n on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 pm

There's nothing you can do besides use the exam review wisely to talk to your Professor about it. I know it's human nature to put the blame on the professor because the rest of your grades are good, but it might just be a different professor grading style that worked for other classes but not for this one. A policy professor vs. BLL professor, etc..

FYI, I'm one of you guys. I Had an A+ (booked), A, A-, and then a friggin B-. It's just weird. Confirms for me that luck is a part of school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

elliotc wrote:I am a 1L at columbia. Just finished first semester and got A, A-, A-, B-. The B- looks terrible and I am just wondering how this will impact my prospects for OCI. I am aiming to get into a top 10 NYC firm. I would appreciate anyone's view on the potential impact of my grades and any advices in explaining them to employers. Thanks so much for your help!
I wouldn't worry about it, those grades are still top 25% at UVA.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

1L's at CLS only have three letter grades.

LuvTheWNBA

New

Post by LuvTheWNBA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

If your B- is in LRW it might be a problem.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:There's nothing you can do besides use the exam review wisely to talk to your Professor about it. I know it's human nature to put the blame on the professor because the rest of your grades are good, but it might just be a different professor grading style that worked for other classes but not for this one. A policy professor vs. BLL professor, etc..

FYI, I'm one of you guys. I Had an A+ (booked), A, A-, and then a friggin B-. It's just weird. Confirms for me that luck is a part of school.
Or maybe the exam you wrote in that class was poorer relative to your classmates.

I went through a season of interviewing without being asked about my outlier grade, but one of my classmates was asked about his lowest grade, so it would probably be wise to have an answer prepared just in case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stjaba

New

Post by stjaba » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Care to elaborate? I know of at least two situations where this exact type of thing happened. Outliers, in some cases, may be due in part to the exam format and grading style of a professor. In those cases, the students got almost the highest grades in your typical issue-spotter essay exams and one low grade in an exam that had extremely concise word limits/peculiar exam instructions (read, not the stock exam instructions on your exam cover sheet). That exam was also graded by a professor with a teaching style/grading method unlike any of the other professors. Not to shift responsibility off the students for the lower grade, I believe that this type of thing can very easily happen and probably often does occur.
That's exactly what happened to me. I booked contracts, got the second highest grade in torts, but got a B- in Crim Law. After talking to the professor, I found out what got me my grade was writing too much on my answers, especially the short answer part of the exam. There were a few questions where I wrote exactly want the prof wanted to see, but then I added additional analysis that was incorrect, and was penalized points for it. The same exact strategy is what got me the high grades in my other classes. The takeaway is simple: Know your professor's grading style. Most of them aren't too shy about it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 pm

stjaba wrote:The takeaway is simple: Know your professor's grading style. Most of them aren't too shy about it.
Last semester I had one professor who was extremely shy about giving information about anything, and he was the one professor to give me a below-median grade. Knowing your professor's style is apparently really important.

HugerThanSoup

Bronze

Post by HugerThanSoup » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 pm

CLS 1L here.

THERE ARE ONLY THREE GRADES DURING FALL SEMESTER.

This is obviously fake.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:CLS 1L here.

THERE ARE ONLY THREE GRADES DURING FALL SEMESTER.

This is obviously fake.
It clearly is. And I think I know exactly who is behind this...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Fake because:

1) As other people have mentioned, CLS only gives 3 letter grades first semester

2) I don't know a single 1L with all their grades

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm

+1 to all the flame calls, for the reasons mentioned above. We only take 3 graded classes in our first term, and most (all?) CLS 1Ls are still waiting on one or two grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”