1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
elliotc
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:46 pm

1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby elliotc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:51 pm

I am a 1L at columbia. Just finished first semester and got A, A-, A-, B-. The B- looks terrible and I am just wondering how this will impact my prospects for OCI. I am aiming to get into a top 10 NYC firm. I would appreciate anyone's view on the potential impact of my grades and any advices in explaining them to employers. Thanks so much for your help!

CCA
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby CCA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

I think you are overreacting to one grade. The grades are strong overall, and you don't have to explain anything.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm

This OP can't be real. Sorry.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm

lolz
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm

If you are kidding: Kill self, Not funny. If you're real and you HAVE to work at a T10 firm, Kill self, you're awful at life.

That is all.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
apper123 wrote:This OP can't be real. Sorry.


Care to elaborate? I know of at least two situations where this exact type of thing happened. Outliers, in some cases, may be due in part to the exam format and grading style of a professor. In those cases, the students got almost the highest grades in your typical issue-spotter essay exams and one low grade in an exam that had extremely concise word limits/peculiar exam instructions (read, not the stock exam instructions on your exam cover sheet). That exam was also graded by a professor with a teaching style/grading method unlike any of the other professors. Not to shift responsibility off the students for the lower grade, I believe that this type of thing can very easily happen and probably often does occur.


Failed issue spot on why it's fake.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Good point. I'm exhausted. But the grade thing sucks.

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby eth3n » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
apper123 wrote:This OP can't be real. Sorry.

I believe that this type of thing can very easily happen and probably often does occur.


Sorry for hijacking, but I think this thread should talk about techniques for dealing with outlier grades, it can't just be me and OP that have this 1L splitter issue. (yes this is selfish hijack but at least some people may be able to benefit from it now)

Firstly, In regard to interviews, any ideas for dealing with one below-median grade when you have all A/A-'s for your first semester?

Secondly, are there any 2L/3L's that have already had to deal with this issue? Interview stories/tips?
Last edited by eth3n on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 pm

There's nothing you can do besides use the exam review wisely to talk to your Professor about it. I know it's human nature to put the blame on the professor because the rest of your grades are good, but it might just be a different professor grading style that worked for other classes but not for this one. A policy professor vs. BLL professor, etc..

FYI, I'm one of you guys. I Had an A+ (booked), A, A-, and then a friggin B-. It's just weird. Confirms for me that luck is a part of school.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

elliotc wrote:I am a 1L at columbia. Just finished first semester and got A, A-, A-, B-. The B- looks terrible and I am just wondering how this will impact my prospects for OCI. I am aiming to get into a top 10 NYC firm. I would appreciate anyone's view on the potential impact of my grades and any advices in explaining them to employers. Thanks so much for your help!

I wouldn't worry about it, those grades are still top 25% at UVA.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby Unemployed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

1L's at CLS only have three letter grades.

LuvTheWNBA
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby LuvTheWNBA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

If your B- is in LRW it might be a problem.

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:There's nothing you can do besides use the exam review wisely to talk to your Professor about it. I know it's human nature to put the blame on the professor because the rest of your grades are good, but it might just be a different professor grading style that worked for other classes but not for this one. A policy professor vs. BLL professor, etc..

FYI, I'm one of you guys. I Had an A+ (booked), A, A-, and then a friggin B-. It's just weird. Confirms for me that luck is a part of school.


Or maybe the exam you wrote in that class was poorer relative to your classmates.

I went through a season of interviewing without being asked about my outlier grade, but one of my classmates was asked about his lowest grade, so it would probably be wise to have an answer prepared just in case.

stjaba
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby stjaba » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
apper123 wrote:This OP can't be real. Sorry.


Care to elaborate? I know of at least two situations where this exact type of thing happened. Outliers, in some cases, may be due in part to the exam format and grading style of a professor. In those cases, the students got almost the highest grades in your typical issue-spotter essay exams and one low grade in an exam that had extremely concise word limits/peculiar exam instructions (read, not the stock exam instructions on your exam cover sheet). That exam was also graded by a professor with a teaching style/grading method unlike any of the other professors. Not to shift responsibility off the students for the lower grade, I believe that this type of thing can very easily happen and probably often does occur.


That's exactly what happened to me. I booked contracts, got the second highest grade in torts, but got a B- in Crim Law. After talking to the professor, I found out what got me my grade was writing too much on my answers, especially the short answer part of the exam. There were a few questions where I wrote exactly want the prof wanted to see, but then I added additional analysis that was incorrect, and was penalized points for it. The same exact strategy is what got me the high grades in my other classes. The takeaway is simple: Know your professor's grading style. Most of them aren't too shy about it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 pm

stjaba wrote:The takeaway is simple: Know your professor's grading style. Most of them aren't too shy about it.

Last semester I had one professor who was extremely shy about giving information about anything, and he was the one professor to give me a below-median grade. Knowing your professor's style is apparently really important.

User avatar
HugerThanSoup
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby HugerThanSoup » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 pm

CLS 1L here.

THERE ARE ONLY THREE GRADES DURING FALL SEMESTER.

This is obviously fake.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:CLS 1L here.

THERE ARE ONLY THREE GRADES DURING FALL SEMESTER.

This is obviously fake.

It clearly is. And I think I know exactly who is behind this...

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Fake because:

1) As other people have mentioned, CLS only gives 3 letter grades first semester

2) I don't know a single 1L with all their grades

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: 1L first semester grades. 3 good, 1 outlier. Please advise!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm

+1 to all the flame calls, for the reasons mentioned above. We only take 3 graded classes in our first term, and most (all?) CLS 1Ls are still waiting on one or two grades.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests