Antitrust Hornbook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Renaixença
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Antitrust Hornbook

Postby Renaixença » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Hey all,

For anyone who has taken antitrust before, what are some of the better hornbooks out there? I've looked into purchasing the Lexis Understanding Antitrust and Its Economic Implications. Any reviews one way or the other? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Ren

upgrade
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Antitrust Hornbook

Postby upgrade » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Renaixença wrote:Hey all,

For anyone who has taken antitrust before, what are some of the better hornbooks out there? I've looked into purchasing the Lexis Understanding Antitrust and Its Economic Implications. Any reviews one way or the other? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Ren


I think it depends on the prof. I bought Understanding Antitrust, but didn't think it was very useful for the way my prof. taught and organized the course.

Renaixença
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Antitrust Hornbook

Postby Renaixença » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 pm

upgrade wrote:
Renaixença wrote:Hey all,

For anyone who has taken antitrust before, what are some of the better hornbooks out there? I've looked into purchasing the Lexis Understanding Antitrust and Its Economic Implications. Any reviews one way or the other? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Ren


I think it depends on the prof. I bought Understanding Antitrust, but didn't think it was very useful for the way my prof. taught and organized the course.


My prof. seems history/econ heavy. Do you think Understanding will prove valuable for such an approach?

Also, I just got my hands on a Sullivan/Grimes Hornbook (published in 2000). Anyone out there have any experience with this text?

Thanks again!

User avatar
Nazrix
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Antitrust Hornbook

Postby Nazrix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:00 am

I took anti-trust and did reasonably well, but it's such a convoluted area of study (as I'm sure you know), since everything is based on ridiculous court decisions that make tons of mistakes in understanding economics properly and trying to apply policy. (this is by far the worst area of law I've seen, because it's masked in science, but looks so made up, and then changes based on policy, ugh)

That said, I took my textbook, and searched for outlines of that textbook, because it was clear that antitrust is all over the place. I think this class can reallllly be based on the prof moreso than other courses. Also, I bought some blackstone's on antitrust (keyed to pitofsky casebook) and the legalines for that book. The legalines was really good, you can read it from scratch, and it's like an outline for anti-trust, and it seemed pretty accurate summarizing all the ridiculous things the court said, (which is how I became convinced the courts say like 100 dif reasons for their anti-trust decisions, and make stuff up)

I listened to the 8 hour antitrust exam CD thing from Emanuel though, it was slightly out of date (2005 i think) (but as long as you know what has changed since then), it was helpful to kind of review everything before studying.

If your prof is super econ heavy, and understands econ, your test might be a little bit more of what the right decision is via economics, vs. like what the court actually would do (which I am convinced is super unpredictable)...

we didn't focus on econ too much, other than as the cases go into it, but it would be hell if it did!

User avatar
Nazrix
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Antitrust Hornbook

Postby Nazrix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:04 am

Renaixença wrote:
upgrade wrote:
Renaixença wrote:Hey all,

For anyone who has taken antitrust before, what are some of the better hornbooks out there? I've looked into purchasing the Lexis Understanding Antitrust and Its Economic Implications. Any reviews one way or the other? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Ren


I think it depends on the prof. I bought Understanding Antitrust, but didn't think it was very useful for the way my prof. taught and organized the course.


My prof. seems history/econ heavy. Do you think Understanding will prove valuable for such an approach?

Also, I just got my hands on a Sullivan/Grimes Hornbook (published in 2000). Anyone out there have any experience with this text?

Thanks again!


Oh, and that 2000 era book, that might be pretty useless, a lot has changed in the last 10 years, or at least, there have been a few "big" cases if I remember! So DEF first learn everything that's happened/covered in your class for the last 10 years before you read that, and then block out/don't read those sections, antitrust is sooooooooooooo convoluted that I would never want to learn one-way of doing something, then have to learn the new way, you will get confused, b/c the rules aren't clear cut in most cases...

I can tell you this, horizontal price fixing (or was it vertical) / retail price management (?), something like that was always illegal, and then in the last two years it is no longer illegal, I took the class a year ago haha, but watch out. the pitofsky text we used was published in 2003 i think, and I had the 2007 (or 2008) supplement update, if you want, just buy THAT update and see what changes happened if you have no idea what's new.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Antitrust Hornbook

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Nazrix wrote:
I can tell you this, horizontal price fixing (or was it vertical) / retail price management (?), something like that was always illegal, and then in the last two years it is no longer illegal, I took the class a year ago haha, but watch out. the pitofsky text we used was published in 2003 i think, and I had the 2007 (or 2008) supplement update, if you want, just buy THAT update and see what changes happened if you have no idea what's new.


Yes, the court decided in Leegin (?) that all cases of Retail Price Maintenance in re: vertical agreements were now subject to the Rule of Reason. A major doctrinal innovation and the one your hornbook wouldn't capture. I'd really rely on something newer in your place.

EDIT: Ran a search for the Antitrust supplement and this thread popped up. Responded without paying attention to the date of the OP. Sorry, people.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests