rock bottom Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cocoapuffs

New

rock bottom

Post by cocoapuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 am

So another below median question, except way below median. GULC just upped their curve.

URM, B, B, B-

Stay in law school?

nealric

Re: rock bottom

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 am

I suppose that depends on your goals in life. If your only reason to come to GULC was to work at Williams & Connelly, then I suppose you don't have much of a shot. However, if you just want a decent legal career all is not lost. There is always the chance of doing much better next semester.

BTW- I wouldn't say you are "rock bottom", There are people out there with multiple Cs and lots of B- grades.

Good luck!
Last edited by nealric on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cocoapuffs

New

Post by cocoapuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 am

thanks, i figured biglaw now is not really an option...but i do have almost a full scholarship so money is not a huge deal either

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 am

nealric wrote:I suppose that depends on your goals in life. If your only reason to come to GULC was to worth at Williams & Connelly, then I suppose you don't have much of a shot. However, if you just want a decent legal career all is not lost. There is always the chance of doing much better next semester.

BTW- I wouldn't say you are "rock bottom", There are people out there with multiple Cs and lots of B- grades.

Good luck!
I don't know about the second part.

Before Gtown changed it's curve, the bottom 5% received B- (they may not have changed the curve yet).
cocoapuffs wrote:i do have almost a full scholarship so money is not a huge deal either
This is what places you in a good position.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 am

thanks, i figured biglaw now is not really an option...but i do have almost a full scholarship so money is not a huge deal either
In that case, you are doing a lot better then many people above the median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am

cocoapuffs wrote:i figured biglaw now is not really an option
How come? If you improve your grades next semester it seems like you still have a shot. Especially considering that many firms have diversity initiatives and are more holistic in their evaluation of minority candidates.

nealric

Re: rock bom

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 am

Before Gtown changed it's curve, the bottom 5% received B- (they may not have changed the curve yet).
No, even post curve change, 10% get "B- or below". Before the curve change it was something like 15% B- and 5% Below B-. At least 80% of my classes at GULC have had at least one C+ or below. Someone has to be getting those C/Ds.

BTW: biglaw is not necessarily out. Next semester is another semester. You should also look into the London study abroad program this summer- it's a GREAT way to up your GPA.

schnecke

New

Post by schnecke » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 am

cocoapuffs wrote:thanks, i figured biglaw now is not really an option...but i do have almost a full scholarship so money is not a huge deal either
it's great how schools don't just accept but even throw money at underqualified applicants on the basis of their skin color.

cocoapuffs

New

Post by cocoapuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 am

schnecke wrote:
cocoapuffs wrote:thanks, i figured biglaw now is not really an option...but i do have almost a full scholarship so money is not a huge deal either
it's great how schools don't just accept but even throw money at underqualified applicants on the basis of their skin color.

the scholarship is not from georgetown. but you're right, it is great!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lietx3

New

Post by lietx3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 am

schnecke wrote:
As the great Shelley Levene said in Glengarry Glen Ross: You are a shithead schnecke.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:16 am

This semester is another chance to up that GPA and possibly even taking some summer classes before OCI.

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 am

cocoapuffs wrote:
schnecke wrote:

Hahaha, nicely handled OP!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 am

cocoapuffs wrote:
schnecke wrote:

Who said OP was underqualified? For all we know OP couldve gotten straight A's in undergrad and for whatever reason law school just isnt going as well. Is that not a possibility?

OP: As someone above mentioned, it depends on your goals. But I say stick with it, you're getting decent grades at Georgetown. and unless your scholly will be revoked and you then cant pay for it, I'd personally kill to be where you are..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:27 am

oberlin08 wrote:Who said OP was underqualified? For all we know OP couldve gotten straight A's in undergrad and for whatever reason law school just isnt going as well. Is that not a possibility?
He just naturally assumed, of course. :?

ok2bedifferent

New

Post by ok2bedifferent » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 am

nealric wrote: BTW- I wouldn't say you are "rock bottom", There are people out there with multiple Cs and lots of B- grades.
:oops: =====> ME!

to OP: You're not a "rock bottom". I know people at T4 schools with a 2.5 gpa. So, you have 1) GULC 2) a relatively good gpa. 3) do better next semester.

cocoapuffs

New

Post by cocoapuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 pm

ok2bedifferent wrote:
nealric wrote: BTW- I wouldn't say you are "rock bottom", There are people out there with multiple Cs and lots of B- grades.
:oops: =====> ME!

to OP: You're not a "rock bottom". I know people at T4 schools with a 2.5 gpa. So, you have 1) GULC 2) a relatively good gpa. 3) do better next semester.
Thanks for the support, but I also thought that a lot T4 schools have a very harsh curve. I think you're right though, I'm going to stick through it and do my best next semester.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:22 pm

OP, don't listen to the haters. Plenty of people are quite simply jealous. You're still at a top school with a huge scholarship, and this is only the beginning. I let my grades define me, and that was a gigantic mistake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 pm

I wish 1Ls would stop bitching about their grades. It's done. It's over. There is no going back. All you can do is learn from the mistakes you made and work harder. If you keep up this downer attitude about whether you should drop out or settle for some horrid government job, you're not going to improve. Instead of sitting and complaining about your grades, go do some work! Go read a supplement or a hornbook. Start networking! Start applying to jobs outside of your biglaw comfort level.

If you want to quit law school, then do it. But if you want to stay and you want to be a lawyer you're going to have to realize that you aren't always going to be the best at everything and you are NOT always going to succeed. You need to learn to pick yourself up and move on and do better next time. SO STOP POSTING HERE ABOUT YOUR TERRIBLE "KILL YOURSELF" LIFE and start this semester with a new positive attitude about how you are going to do better. Talk to your professors, do more practice exams, make sure that when you don't understand something you ask a question. Be proactive and stop making pointless hypothetical threads that no one on this site can possible answer for you!

cocoapuffs

New

Post by cocoapuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm

You're right, I think retaining a positive attitude will definitely help. Although I don't see what the huge deal is in posting concerns about grades/personal law school related situations since a substantial percentage of the threads on this site involve "bitching" of some sort. And look, you didn't like my post but you still offered me great advice!
lishi wrote:I wish 1Ls would stop bitching about their grades. It's done. It's over. There is no going back. All you can do is learn from the mistakes you made and work harder. If you keep up this downer attitude about whether you should drop out or settle for some horrid government job, you're not going to improve. Instead of sitting and complaining about your grades, go do some work! Go read a supplement or a hornbook. Start networking! Start applying to jobs outside of your biglaw comfort level.

If you want to quit law school, then do it. But if you want to stay and you want to be a lawyer you're going to have to realize that you aren't always going to be the best at everything and you are NOT always going to succeed. You need to learn to pick yourself up and move on and do better next time. SO STOP POSTING HERE ABOUT YOUR TERRIBLE "KILL YOURSELF" LIFE and start this semester with a new positive attitude about how you are going to do better. Talk to your professors, do more practice exams, make sure that when you don't understand something you ask a question. Be proactive and stop making pointless hypothetical threads that no one on this site can possible answer for you!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm

cocoapuffs wrote:
schnecke wrote:

On top of that biglaw hires URMS who are well below median!

WIN.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 pm

cocoapuffs wrote:You're right, I think retaining a positive attitude will definitely help. Although I don't see what the huge deal is in posting concerns about grades/personal law school related situations since a substantial percentage of the threads on this site involve "bitching" of some sort. And look, you didn't like my post but you still offered me great advice!
lishi wrote:I wish 1Ls would stop bitching about their grades. It's done. It's over. There is no going back. All you can do is learn from the mistakes you made and work harder. If you keep up this downer attitude about whether you should drop out or settle for some horrid government job, you're not going to improve. Instead of sitting and complaining about your grades, go do some work! Go read a supplement or a hornbook. Start networking! Start applying to jobs outside of your biglaw comfort level.

It wasn't you cocoapuffs. There have just been a lot of downer posts about grades lately and yours just took the brunt of lishi's wrath. I agree with her, you gotta pick yourself up and move forward. Good luck man.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cocoapuffs

New

Post by cocoapuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:43 pm

yeah i was surprised she got so worked up over my post, lol guess it really was brewing. thanks for the response though grad.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:18 pm

GradStudent is right. It's not your post, it's the fact that every other post in this forum is asking the same question. So in reality if I felt like I could sticky my response for everyone to see (without seeming like I'm showing off some sort of imaginary power us mods have), I would.

Of course it sucks to not do as well as you wanted, but you have five more semesters to improve!!!

PS: also note that I have every intention of posting this in any other thread that bumps up on this topic. Good Luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”