Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
reasonabledoubt

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:32 pm

:o
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:39 pm

There's no such thing as a gunner in a class where participation impacts the grade.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:56 pm

betasteve wrote:
GummiBear wrote:Yeah, I never posed a hypo in class, and I only answered questions that I knew. But I was kind of weird in the sense that while reading the material before class, I would try and find things that the professor would ask about, and I would have an answer prepared for it. (It was especially awesome when it was stuff other people obviously didn't know)

FYI - if you had used the time it took you to do the bolded to prepare for the exam, you'd probably have gotten a natural A. hth

While OP's attitude is questionable, wouldn't the bolded be the proper way to study/prepare for any exam? Understanding what your professor is going to deem important to ask and point out in class seems like a useful skill in preparing for the exam the professor will later write.

<--- Not a law student.

Edit: Note here I am only talking about the preparing and reading before time, not the talking or answering in class bit.
Last edited by CyLaw on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:58 pm

must be a really top notch school where you can meet the professor and get your grade moved up a notch. that school is TTTTTTTTerific!

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:09 pm

betasteve wrote:However, it is best to go about this in terms of what he may ask on the exam and not in class, as the latter isn't, from my experience, all the same as the former.

Thanks. That is something I will keep in mind when I start next fall.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm guessing the numbers in the title refer to the quantity of gunners and jealous non-gunners, respectively.

Nietzsche_Addy

Postby Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Georgiana wrote:Its even more enjoyable when you get an A without having to gun. hth.

titcr. One of my profs was really big on class participation and stressed more than once that she would raise/lower grades based on participation. I flubbed my only cold call and didn't raise my hand once. I think that getting an A in this way was much more satisfying than getting one by puckering up for the prof.

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:
Georgiana wrote:Its even more enjoyable when you get an A without having to gun. hth.

titcr. One of my profs was really big on class participation and stressed more than once that she would raise/lower grades based on participation. I flubbed my only cold call and didn't raise my hand once. I think that getting an A in this way was much more satisfying than getting one by puckering up for the prof.

Not that I advocate wasting everyone's time with annoying hypos, but isn't it foolish to ignore a method to potentially improve your grade if the professor clearly states that participation/whatever are 5-10% of the grade?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:08 pm

eth3n wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:

Not that I advocate wasting everyone's time with annoying hypos, but isn't it foolish to ignore a method to potentially improve your grade if the professor clearly states that participation/whatever are 5-10% of the grade?

The issue with law profs is that they don't have transparent grading systems. They may say that participation is x% of your grade but really this means "if I like you and remember your name, I may put it on a list that I give to the registrar and if you're on the border between two grades they'll bump you up." Instead of worrying about that, just learn the law and rock the exam. They won't be decreasing your grade for lack of participation (in my experience).

I've had classes where participation is said to be 20% of the grade (thats a LOT for a big lecture class). I didn't participate once and skipped quite often and surprisingly pulled off a pretty good grade for the amount I thought I knew. If participation and attendance were really that important, there's no way I would have the grade I do.

This is of course dependent on schools and professors, just sharing my experiences.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:09 am

Georgiana wrote:
GummiBear wrote:
4910 wrote:i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall

Good, I'm pissed at all the people that are "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had you intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.

Its even more enjoyable when you get an A without having to gun. hth.

+10

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:37 am

superserial wrote:I'm guessing the numbers in the title refer to the quantity of gunners and jealous non-gunners, respectively.

<3

panda

Postby panda » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:01 am

this is such a flame.. look at the profile.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 am

panda wrote:this is such a flame.. look at the profile.

This is such high-quality trolling it has to be a current or former TLS regular.

I put my money on CE2JD.

panda

Postby panda » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:13 am

vanwinkle wrote:

This is such high-quality trolling it has to be a current or former TLS regular.

I put my money on CE2JD.

wouldn't be surprised.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

I put my money on CE2JD.

Nah, Waks trolling is much more in your face style, such as offing oneself.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:29 pm

GummiBear wrote:I just got my grade back for Evidence, and it was an A-. However school rules say if you participate a lot in class the professor may bump your grade up at his discretion.

He did for me so my final grade for the class was an A.

Where are all the gunner haters now? Just because you aren't prepared enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.

Gunners > j00

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”