Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
GummiBear
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I just got my grade back for Evidence, and it was an A-. However school rules say if you participate a lot in class the professor may bump your grade up at his discretion.

He did for me so my final grade for the class was an A.

Where are all the gunner haters now? Just because you aren't prepared enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.

Gunners > j00

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm

GummiBear wrote:Just because you [strike]aren't prepared[/strike] don't really care enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.


FTFY

4910
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby 4910 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:37 pm

i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall

User avatar
GummiBear
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 pm

4910 wrote:i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall


Good, I'm pissed at all the people that say "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had your intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater, then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.
Last edited by GummiBear on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm

"Gunner" doesn't refer to someone who knows what they're talking about, it refers to that idiot who thinks he does and doesn't get why he doesn't. If you actually understand the material and you're managing to stay on-topic I doubt anyone here would actually have a problem with you being in their class.

Congratulations, you raised your hand in class, were right, and got an A. Wow, awesome. Nobody else on TLS has managed to do that sequence of events before, I'm sure!

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm

GummiBear wrote:
4910 wrote:i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall


Good, I'm pissed at all the people that are "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had you intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.

Its even more enjoyable when you get an A without having to gun. hth.

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I've noticed a positive correlation between how much I talked in class and how well I did on the exam. However, I've confirmed with the teachers that I didn't receive any bumps for participation. I suspect it is just a function of how engaged I was with both the material and the professor, which translated into more enthusiastic and rigorous studying.

Note that "talking in class" has many different interpretations. I never posed hypos in class, and classmates have told me that my comments led to the professor engaging in other fruitful points that were beneficial to the entire discussion. You have to balance your own needs with those of the class and society generally.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:46 pm

solidsnake wrote:I've noticed a positive correlation between how much I talked in class and how well I did on the exam. However, I've confirmed with the teachers that I didn't receive any bumps for participation. I suspect it is just a function of how engaged I was with both the material and the professor, which translated into more enthusiastic and rigorous studying.

Note that "talking in class" has many different interpretations. I never posed hypos in class, and classmates have told me that my comments led to the professor engaging in other fruitful points that were beneficial to the entire discussion. You have to balance your own needs with those of the class and society generally.

This. "talking in class" ≠ "gunning"

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby 20121109 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Question, OP: Are people hating on your A or are people hating on your gunnerific tendencies? Or, is it the fact that the gunnerific tendencies led to the A?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

vanwinkle wrote:"Gunner" doesn't refer to someone who knows what they're talking about, it refers to that idiot who thinks he does and doesn't get why he doesn't. If you actually understand the material and you're managing to stay on-topic I doubt anyone here would actually have a problem with you being in their class.

Congratulations, you raised your hand in class, were right, and got an A. Wow, awesome. Nobody else on TLS has managed to do that sequence of events before, I'm sure!


Originally, "gunner" meant anyone who participated a lot, met with the professors a lot, etc. They were "gunning" for success (or high grades or whatever). Then it became an epithet applied only to those who do all of those things but are still clueless. Both interpretations of the term are valid.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm

BenJ wrote:Originally, "gunner" meant anyone who participated a lot, met with the professors a lot, etc. They were "gunning" for success (or high grades or whatever). Then it became an epithet applied only to those who do all of those things but are still clueless. Both interpretations of the term are valid.

Then I guess I'm a gunner too. Who knew?

User avatar
GummiBear
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah, I never posed a hypo in class, and I only answered questions that I knew. But I was kind of weird in the sense that while reading the material before class, I would try and find things that the professor would ask about, and I would have an answer prepared for it. (It was especially awesome when it was stuff other people obviously didn't know)

I made sure to never give my opinion, because I know nobody cares about it. The key to successful gunning is to ALWAYS sound confident in your answer. Even if you are completely wrong and the professor points it out don't get all frayed. Just nod your head and move on and wait for the next opportunity to showcase your brilliance.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:56 pm

I had several profs who claimed to give a boost to those that participate, but after grading they didn't even look at the names on the exam, and just turned in the final scores blind.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:57 pm

GummiBear wrote:I made sure to never give my opinion, because I know nobody cares about it.

This differentiates you from 98% of the people that are being mocked on here for being "gunners".

Congratulations, you avoided sounding like an asshole an entire semester, and then managed to do so with a single TLS post trying to "rub it in" toward people that never had a problem with you in the first place.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Did your A impress that hot girl that tricked you into forming a study group with her friends?

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:01 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I had several profs who claimed to give a boost to those that participate, but after grading they didn't even look at the names on the exam, and just turned in the final scores blind.


This. They make this claim, I think, for behavior-shaping. Although, I wouldn't want to consistently pass when getting called in order to test their resolve when threatening to grade down for failure to participate.

User avatar
GummiBear
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:04 pm

CyLaw wrote:Did your A impress that hot girl that tricked you into forming a study group with her friends?


Stupid broad has a boyfriend right now. Words cannot describe my anger for her. She is in another one of my classes right now and she had the nerve to ask me again to form a study group. I told her I wouldn't mind meeting again later in the semester, but I'm trying to think of a good way to shoot her down before then.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby rayiner » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 pm

betasteve wrote:This thread hurts my soul.


A douchebag with good grades is still just a douchebag with good grades.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm

rayiner wrote:
betasteve wrote:This thread hurts my soul.


A douchebag with good grades is still just a douchebag with good grades.


This thread is hilarious.

stripedbanana10
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby stripedbanana10 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:17 pm

GummiBear wrote:
4910 wrote:i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall


Good, I'm pissed at all the people that say "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had your intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater, then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.


please list these, or pm me.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:20 pm

GummiBear wrote:
4910 wrote:i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall


Good, I'm pissed at all the people that say "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had your intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater, then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.


I still think it's more important to "listen" in class so that you pick up on what the professor is highlighting and what he wants you to highlight on his exam. Think of him as a judge. No judge cares what you think or what you know. He only cares about what you can argue and prove in the case at-hand. The prof only cares whether you're picking up what he's putting down. That's it.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Since participation grades count at NYU, I plan on following in your noble footsteps next year.

User avatar
Asilkman
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby Asilkman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

GummiBear wrote:I made sure to never give my opinion, because I know nobody cares about it.


Apply this to life OP, not just class.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm sure they were just hating on your personality...

not the grade.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:29 pm

GummiBear wrote:I just got my grade back for Evidence, and it was an A-. However school rules say if you participate a lot in class the professor may bump your grade up at his discretion.

He did for me so my final grade for the class was an A.

Where are all the gunner haters now? Just because you aren't prepared enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.

Gunners > j00



So much for academic standards




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 3 guests