Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GummiBear

Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I just got my grade back for Evidence, and it was an A-. However school rules say if you participate a lot in class the professor may bump your grade up at his discretion.

He did for me so my final grade for the class was an A.

Where are all the gunner haters now? Just because you aren't prepared enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.

Gunners > j00

prezidentv8

Re: Gunners: 1 Jealous Non-Gunners: 0

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm

GummiBear wrote:Just because you [strike]aren't prepared[/strike] don't really care enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.

FTFY

Postby 4910 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:37 pm

i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall

GummiBear

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 pm

4910 wrote:i will keep this thread in mind when i enter law school next fall

Good, I'm pissed at all the people that say "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had your intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater, then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.
Last edited by GummiBear on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm

"Gunner" doesn't refer to someone who knows what they're talking about, it refers to that idiot who thinks he does and doesn't get why he doesn't. If you actually understand the material and you're managing to stay on-topic I doubt anyone here would actually have a problem with you being in their class.

Congratulations, you raised your hand in class, were right, and got an A. Wow, awesome. Nobody else on TLS has managed to do that sequence of events before, I'm sure!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm

GummiBear wrote:

Good, I'm pissed at all the people that are "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had you intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.

Its even more enjoyable when you get an A without having to gun. hth.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I've noticed a positive correlation between how much I talked in class and how well I did on the exam. However, I've confirmed with the teachers that I didn't receive any bumps for participation. I suspect it is just a function of how engaged I was with both the material and the professor, which translated into more enthusiastic and rigorous studying.

Note that "talking in class" has many different interpretations. I never posed hypos in class, and classmates have told me that my comments led to the professor engaging in other fruitful points that were beneficial to the entire discussion. You have to balance your own needs with those of the class and society generally.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:46 pm

solidsnake wrote:I've noticed a positive correlation between how much I talked in class and how well I did on the exam. However, I've confirmed with the teachers that I didn't receive any bumps for participation. I suspect it is just a function of how engaged I was with both the material and the professor, which translated into more enthusiastic and rigorous studying.

Note that "talking in class" has many different interpretations. I never posed hypos in class, and classmates have told me that my comments led to the professor engaging in other fruitful points that were beneficial to the entire discussion. You have to balance your own needs with those of the class and society generally.

This. "talking in class" ≠ "gunning"

Postby 20121109 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Question, OP: Are people hating on your A or are people hating on your gunnerific tendencies? Or, is it the fact that the gunnerific tendencies led to the A?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

vanwinkle wrote:"Gunner" doesn't refer to someone who knows what they're talking about, it refers to that idiot who thinks he does and doesn't get why he doesn't. If you actually understand the material and you're managing to stay on-topic I doubt anyone here would actually have a problem with you being in their class.

Congratulations, you raised your hand in class, were right, and got an A. Wow, awesome. Nobody else on TLS has managed to do that sequence of events before, I'm sure!

Originally, "gunner" meant anyone who participated a lot, met with the professors a lot, etc. They were "gunning" for success (or high grades or whatever). Then it became an epithet applied only to those who do all of those things but are still clueless. Both interpretations of the term are valid.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm

BenJ wrote:Originally, "gunner" meant anyone who participated a lot, met with the professors a lot, etc. They were "gunning" for success (or high grades or whatever). Then it became an epithet applied only to those who do all of those things but are still clueless. Both interpretations of the term are valid.

Then I guess I'm a gunner too. Who knew?

GummiBear

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah, I never posed a hypo in class, and I only answered questions that I knew. But I was kind of weird in the sense that while reading the material before class, I would try and find things that the professor would ask about, and I would have an answer prepared for it. (It was especially awesome when it was stuff other people obviously didn't know)

I made sure to never give my opinion, because I know nobody cares about it. The key to successful gunning is to ALWAYS sound confident in your answer. Even if you are completely wrong and the professor points it out don't get all frayed. Just nod your head and move on and wait for the next opportunity to showcase your brilliance.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:56 pm

I had several profs who claimed to give a boost to those that participate, but after grading they didn't even look at the names on the exam, and just turned in the final scores blind.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:57 pm

GummiBear wrote:I made sure to never give my opinion, because I know nobody cares about it.

This differentiates you from 98% of the people that are being mocked on here for being "gunners".

Congratulations, you avoided sounding like an asshole an entire semester, and then managed to do so with a single TLS post trying to "rub it in" toward people that never had a problem with you in the first place.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Did your A impress that hot girl that tricked you into forming a study group with her friends?

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:01 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I had several profs who claimed to give a boost to those that participate, but after grading they didn't even look at the names on the exam, and just turned in the final scores blind.

This. They make this claim, I think, for behavior-shaping. Although, I wouldn't want to consistently pass when getting called in order to test their resolve when threatening to grade down for failure to participate.

GummiBear

Postby GummiBear » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:04 pm

CyLaw wrote:Did your A impress that hot girl that tricked you into forming a study group with her friends?

Stupid broad has a boyfriend right now. Words cannot describe my anger for her. She is in another one of my classes right now and she had the nerve to ask me again to form a study group. I told her I wouldn't mind meeting again later in the semester, but I'm trying to think of a good way to shoot her down before then.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 pm

betasteve wrote:This thread hurts my soul.

A douchebag with good grades is still just a douchebag with good grades.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm

rayiner wrote:
betasteve wrote:This thread hurts my soul.

A douchebag with good grades is still just a douchebag with good grades.

This thread is hilarious.

stripedbanana10

Postby stripedbanana10 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:17 pm

GummiBear wrote:

Good, I'm pissed at all the people that say "show off" when you gun. When in reality, they would do the same thing if they had your intellectual capacity.

If you want any tips on how to be an efficient gunner, I can list them out later for those who are interested. If you're a hater, then whatever, I'll enjoy my A.

please list these, or pm me.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:20 pm

GummiBear wrote:

I still think it's more important to "listen" in class so that you pick up on what the professor is highlighting and what he wants you to highlight on his exam. Think of him as a judge. No judge cares what you think or what you know. He only cares about what you can argue and prove in the case at-hand. The prof only cares whether you're picking up what he's putting down. That's it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Since participation grades count at NYU, I plan on following in your noble footsteps next year.

Asilkman

Postby Asilkman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

GummiBear wrote:I made sure to never give my opinion, because I know nobody cares about it.

Apply this to life OP, not just class.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm sure they were just hating on your personality...

not the grade.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:29 pm

GummiBear wrote:I just got my grade back for Evidence, and it was an A-. However school rules say if you participate a lot in class the professor may bump your grade up at his discretion.

He did for me so my final grade for the class was an A.

Where are all the gunner haters now? Just because you aren't prepared enough to talk about the material yourself in class doesn't mean you have to hate us.

Gunners > j00

So much for academic standards

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”