1L Summer Job General Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dbt

1L Summer Job General Question

Postby dbt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:23 pm

So just got my grades back for the semester and am top 10%, T6, looking into academia (clerking immediately after school).

Should I basically only apply for RA positions, or should I be looking at other things as well? Is there anything that's as good/better for 1L summer for someone in my position looking to clerk upon graduation?

thesealocust

Re: 1L Summer Job General Question

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:38 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 am

I thought RA jobs during the summer were generally for people who didn't get other types of jobs? People who get a boost for being a RA usually do it during the semester, while taking a full breadth of classes.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 am

If you want academia, you need to start focusing on what you're going to publish--preferably notes in law reviews. You'll want to have two or so before you graduate, at least ideally. An RA position will help insofar as it could get a professor to build a bond such that he would go to bat for you on clerkships. Nowadays, you really need to focus on your published work though. And consider a joint degree.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 pm

postitnotes wrote:I thought RA jobs during the summer were generally for people who didn't get other types of jobs? People who get a boost for being a RA usually do it during the semester, while taking a full breadth of classes.

Yea I've heard about that option. It just sounds intense, since I'm imagining that 2L year will involve classes + journal + writing a note.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:41 pm

heyguys wrote:If you want academia, you need to start focusing on what you're going to publish--preferably notes in law reviews. You'll want to have two or so before you graduate, at least ideally. An RA position will help insofar as it could get a professor to build a bond such that he would go to bat for you on clerkships. Nowadays, you really need to focus on your published work though. And consider a joint degree.

Yea that's the rundown I've heard too. But I'm still really just wondering whether the RA position is pretty much ideal for 1L summer if you're on the academic track, or whether I should do something else. I saw the recommendation about doing it during the school year, but next year seems like it will be much busier than this year, and I would want to put in good work to get a good relationship/recommendation from my professor.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 pm

dbt wrote:
heyguys wrote:If you want academia, you need to start focusing on what you're going to publish--preferably notes in law reviews. You'll want to have two or so before you graduate, at least ideally. An RA position will help insofar as it could get a professor to build a bond such that he would go to bat for you on clerkships. Nowadays, you really need to focus on your published work though. And consider a joint degree.

Yea that's the rundown I've heard too. But I'm still really just wondering whether the RA position is pretty much ideal for 1L summer if you're on the academic track, or whether I should do something else. I saw the recommendation about doing it during the school year, but next year seems like it will be much busier than this year, and I would want to put in good work to get a good relationship/recommendation from my professor.
You can do it over summer without doing it fulltime over summer. If the prof is cool with it, you can just RA for him part-time wherever you are and work at something else.

Also I've never heard of the whole "ideally publish two notes in law reviews before graduation." I have read & heard that you need at least one law review article, ideally two, before going on the academic market (not before graduation, it's rare for law students to even have one LR article published while still in school). I don't think they really care about your notes except insofar that the note indicates your participation in law review, which they do care about.

Edit to add: a law review article and a law review note are two VERY different things.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and apply to other stuff too that looks interesting so I could maybe split a summer or even just RA during the schoolyear, depending on what my options end up being. But as an alternative to RAing, I'm most interested in judicial internships. I want to apply to those, but I hear that if you get accepted it looks really bad to turn them down, so I don't really see how students who aren't certain that they want to work for a judge go about applying.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:27 pm

dbt wrote:I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and apply to other stuff too that looks interesting so I could maybe split a summer or even just RA during the schoolyear, depending on what my options end up being. But as an alternative to RAing, I'm most interested in judicial internships. I want to apply to those, but I hear that if you get accepted it looks really bad to turn them down, so I don't really see how students who aren't certain that they want to work for a judge go about applying.
Is there a reason you're not applying to firms? I'm interested in academia also, but I think a firm will be a great opportunity to get some research & writing experience, as well as check out different areas of law. Plus it's common for future profs to have spent a few years in biglaw. T6 w/top 10% should have a shot, even ITE. No pressure, just throwing that out there for you.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm really not interested in firms for 1L summer, since I still don't think I've got much of a shot and, more importantly, I'm certain I'll work for a firm 2L summer and want to diversify my experience, especially since my interest is in academia. I intend on working for a firm after school/clerking too, so I imagine I'll have plenty of time to do firm stuff.

I'm guessing at this point (barring any advice to the contrary from my academic career counselor) that I'll only apply to the federal appellate courts...and I guess if I'm fortunate enough to get an offer, I'll just have to turn down RAing altogether...

I guess this still all hinges on just how crucial RAing is, so I'll go see what my counselor says and post that info on here for anyone interested.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:40 pm

dbt wrote:I'm really not interested in firms for 1L summer, since I still don't think I've got much of a shot and, more importantly, I'm certain I'll work for a firm 2L summer and want to diversify my experience, especially since my interest is in academia. I intend on working for a firm after school/clerking too, so I imagine I'll have plenty of time to do firm stuff.

I'm guessing at this point (barring any advice to the contrary from my academic career counselor) that I'll only apply to the federal appellate courts...and I guess if I'm fortunate enough to get an offer, I'll just have to turn down RAing altogether...

I guess this still all hinges on just how crucial RAing is, so I'll go see what my counselor says and post that info on here for anyone interested.

There's still time for DOJ and other gov't positions - these positions are much more likely to let you do substantive work. They're too busy to be bothered with busywork memos and will likely give you more real work to do.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:49 pm

what did you do to be in the top 10% can you write an TLS article?

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't think I have enough to say to make it into an article, nor am I confident that it wasn't just a combination of luck and intelligence.

But...basically I read all the cases, used a highlighting color-coded system for notes (like the one mentioned in Law School Confidential), briefed cases on the computer (which I still do this semester, but they're probably half as long now)...uh..looked at tests relatively early (like halfway through the semester) to get an idea of what we were going to be graded on...and then did a couple of practice tests.

I don't really know what to say other than that, and I doubt it's enough to distinguish my advice from others'/be helpful. I do think that if you really want to do something different from what most people are doing and that will DEFINITELY help you, brush up on your typing skills. Except for tests which had word limits (1 of our 3 classes), model answers almost always had something like 7,000 words. I imagine that there is a loose correlation of grades to ability to type quickly and express all of your thoughts, in a clear manner of course.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm going to stick up for the RA option. If you're really sure you want to clerk, I can't think of a better way to develop a good recommendation. And as tough as the clerkship competition is right now, I wouldn't wait until fall to work on such a relationship.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 pm

betasteve wrote:I would try to RA during the school year, instead of the summer, if you can find other paying employment.

OK, this. But if your choice is unpaid internship or RA, pick RA. It seems suited to your goals.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”