Where can I go to seek help???

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ok2bedifferent

Where can I go to seek help???

Postby ok2bedifferent » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:22 am

Grades are in: Crim Law - B-; Con law - C+; Property - (?) disaster waiting to happen (I actually thought I did well in crim law and con law....)

Cummulative gpa = too embarassed to state :oops:

Dropping out is not an option....but I want to get better. I transferred from a T4 law school to a T20 law school. I'm regretting my transfer decision on the basis that it's better to be the big fish in a small pond, rather than the small fish on life support in the big pond. Too late to bitch about it.

I want to know how to do well at a T20 law school. I feel like I'm as smart as the next kid in my class, but they're apparently better test takers, better issue spotters, or what? I can't pinpoint what I'm doing wrong at this school.

What are my resources?? Where can I go? I did the readings; I outlined; I read the supplements; and all that seemed to equate to a big fat failure on my part.

macattaq

Re: Where can I go to seek help???

Postby macattaq » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:50 am

Wait until you can see your exams. Get yours, go through it and see what you did wrong. Do a self-assessment, and compare how you thought you performed to how you did perform. Then, go in and see your professor and bring this self-assessment to him/her. Express your concerns, say where you think your strengths lie, and make sure to ask for what you need. Then, the professor will point you in the right direction. Hopefully. Make sure to make repeat visits to office hours, and go over cases you read for class or whatever it is you feel weak in.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:08 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok2bedifferent

Postby ok2bedifferent » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:What were your grades like at the T4?

I had a cummulative of 3.6, putting me in top 10%. I have made appointments with my professors and hopefully, that will help out. Other than that, I guess all I can do is try harder.

Alyosha

Postby Alyosha » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm

How did you transfer before grades in all those 1st year courses? Part time?

I though Arrow's advice, GTM and LEEWS were all helpful. But different approaches work well for different people. One thing that Arrow said which really helped me was "are you really putting in the hours?" I sincerely believe the people that spent 6 to 8 hours a day outside of class studying had a distinct advantage over people who did not, no matter what strategy they used.

ok2bedifferent

Postby ok2bedifferent » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Alyosha wrote:How did you transfer before grades in all those 1st year courses? Part time?

I though Arrow's advice, GTM and LEEWS were all helpful. But different approaches work well for different people. One thing that Arrow said which really helped me was "are you really putting in the hours?" I sincerely believe the people that spent 6 to 8 hours a day outside of class studying had a distinct advantage over people who did not, no matter what strategy they used.

Yes, I am a part-time evening student. A notable difference between my current school and my previous school is that evening students were segregated from the full-time day students. In other words, full-time day students were precluded from taking evening classes, unless they had a good reason. However, at my present school, so long as day time students maintain the majority of their schedule in the day time, they can register for some evening classes. Those students may throw off the curve because their day job is studying, unlike students like me who literally do the bulk of their studies on weekends. Anyways, I can't hate the system, it's what I signed up for. But under the current circumstances, I put in as many studying hours as possible without cutting my four hours of sleep any further.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”