Bottom 25% from a 50ish school want to do IP

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
iamafailure

Bottom 25% from a 50ish school want to do IP

Postby iamafailure » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:01 pm

after 1st semester is at bottom 25% of the class, and best case scenario I will be at below median after 1st year, most likely stay where I am if I knew myself. I am thinking I am really screwed, even my EE back ground won't be enuf to save my butt.

paying sticker at 50ish school, quitting would cause a lot of issues(mainly social issues).

Anyone have any experience in this care to offer some input, thank you very much.

please easy on the flame, i am just dumb and probably never should have started law school in the 1st place.

UrbanAchievers

Re: Bottom 25% from a 50ish school want to do IP

Postby UrbanAchievers » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. All I can say, though, is don't chase bad money with good. If the worst negative ramifications are social, get out of law school and leverage your EE degree.

The embarrassment will fade, trust me. Crushing debt is not so forgiving.

Good luck.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 pm

What school? Does it have an IP presence? I'd say try to get a PT clerking job with an IP firm asap. Many small IP firms don't care nearly as much about grades as they do experience, so if you can get in working with one, that would be huge. Oh, and take the patent bar...

iamafailure

Postby iamafailure » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 pm

starstruck393 wrote:What school? Does it have an IP presence? I'd say try to get a PT clerking job with an IP firm asap. Many small IP firms don't care nearly as much about grades as they do experience, so if you can get in working with one, that would be huge. Oh, and take the patent bar...

thanks for the reply. Are u suggesting small IP firms as my best bet as this point? thank you.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 pm

iamafailure wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:What school? Does it have an IP presence? I'd say try to get a PT clerking job with an IP firm asap. Many small IP firms don't care nearly as much about grades as they do experience, so if you can get in working with one, that would be huge. Oh, and take the patent bar...

thanks for the reply. Are u suggesting small IP firms as my best bet as this point? thank you.

Yea, you have ~0 shot at bigger firms, IP or otherwise, but can still make a good living from small IP firms. But to get in, you need to have something going for you. Grades won't be it, but if you pass the patent bar, take IP focused classes, etc, and can land an internship to get experience (and maybe some PT work), you can funnel that into an offer after graduation. Of the patent lawyers I know, most went to T3/T4 schools, and few got great grades...

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 am

Where did you get your EE degree, and what was your undergrad GPA? That kind of stuff matters for IP jobs. For example, my friend had a 3.2 GPA from a T5 EE program, finished at the median of his 60ish school, and still got a six-figure IP job.

iamafailure

Postby iamafailure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:22 am

im_blue wrote:Where did you get your EE degree, and what was your undergrad GPA? That kind of stuff matters for IP jobs. For example, my friend had a 3.2 GPA from a T5 EE program, finished at the median of his 60ish school, and still got a six-figure IP job.

your friend probably has other things going for him right? patent agent work exp and etc? and he probably didn't land that job through school OCI did he?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 am

iamafailure wrote:
im_blue wrote:Where did you get your EE degree, and what was your undergrad GPA? That kind of stuff matters for IP jobs. For example, my friend had a 3.2 GPA from a T5 EE program, finished at the median of his 60ish school, and still got a six-figure IP job.

your friend probably has other things going for him right? patent agent work exp and etc? and he probably didn't land that job through school OCI did he?

I don't know if he got the job through OCI, but he had no work experience. Not a URM. His experience is probably not typical, but he didn't really have anything else going for him.

iamafailure

Postby iamafailure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 am

im_blue wrote:
iamafailure wrote:

I don't know if he got the job through OCI, but he had no work experience. Not a URM. His experience is probably not typical, but he didn't really have anything else going for him.

hum. was it IP boutiqe or big law? thank you.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am

Yea, good (or decent) grades from a top Engin school can be a big help. Although, he still finished at median, not bottom 25%. A good second semester could get you close to there, though...

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 am

This is true with IP. Firms care more about background than LS grades. Are you published? You should be networking with current IP students, alumni, and local associates/partners.

iamafailure

Postby iamafailure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:58 am

Zojirushi wrote:

This is true with IP. Firms care more about background than LS grades. Are you published? You should be networking with current IP students, alumni, and local associates/partners.

I do talk with upper classmen, they generally nice and helpful.

as for local associates/partners, i am gonna be a dumb ass and ask, how? we have few meet the lawyer type events, which I didn't bother going, and they were not IP ppl to my best recollection.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Events like http://www.cobar.org/page.cfm/ID/20153/
It indicates CU/DU students are free, so the same may hold true for yourself.
http://www.hipla.org/
You should have a local group like this as well. Start going to monthly meetings. Volunteer to contribute to the group with more than just attendance. Make yourself known.

iamafailure

Postby iamafailure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

starstruck393 wrote:

Yea, good (or decent) grades from a top Engin school can be a big help. Although, he still finished at median, not bottom 25%. A good second semester could get you close to there, though...

3.2 from 50ish public school, EE major, then master of EE from a better public school, then average working joe shmooo in the industry, Elec eng type work, no publications, just work work work. and yeah, bottom 25%........doc review ITE?

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

iamafailure wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

3.2 from 50ish public school, EE major, then master of EE from a better public school, then average working joe shmooo in the industry, Elec eng type work, no publications, just work work work. and yeah, bottom 25%........doc review ITE?

No offense, but you have to be extremely unimaginative to think it is big law or doc review. I get tired of hearing this. If those are the only two options you can conceive with a JD, then you will probably be doing doc review.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”