Question for URM @ T14

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
themapples
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Question for URM @ T14

Postby themapples » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Would a 3.6 at a non GULC T14 be enough to transfer to HYS??

Thanks

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm

themapples wrote:Would a 3.6 at a non GULC T14 be enough to transfer to HYS??

Thanks


Probably not.

themapples
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby themapples » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Really? any info to go with that based on non-urm #'s for transfer to HYS? are we talking like a 3.8 minimum?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:I have not personally heard of an URM bump for transferring, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Conventional wisdom is that a transfer to HSYS still takes top 5-10%ish from a T14, and 3.6 is probably just outside that.

I've heard of people saying they know of a few folks who were top 20% that got into H, but it's all third-hand and I don't know how accurate it is. I do know that H has a very large transfer class so it's at least conceivable.

themapples
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby themapples » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I have not personally heard of an URM bump for transferring, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Conventional wisdom is that a transfer to HSYS still takes top 5-10%ish from a T14, and 3.6 is probably just outside that.

I've heard of people saying they know of a few folks who were top 20% that got into H, but it's all third-hand and I don't know how accurate it is. I do know that H has a very large transfer class so it's at least conceivable.


thanks for the reply, don't want to give up too much info for fear of wrath from classmates, and also don't want to give away my school by giving curve and scale; but I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of top 15% give or take a couple more percentage points on the high-side, and just wondering what the odd's were, even for a non-urm. Is any data on T7-14's in the top quarter and their success transferring to hys??

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:51 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:What matters isn't your GPA, it's your class rank. Some T14s curve to 3.2, some to 3.3, and others (Northwestern) to about a 3.9.


Actually, this year they just curved to a 4.33 ... it's all a part of the Dean's new plan for improved job placement!

In actuality, it's somewhere b/w a 3.30 and a 3.37.

OP, it appears as though you are anywhere b/w the top 20% to the top 33%. I think that HY is likely out of the question. Stanford admitted something like 20 transfers last year though. Unfortunately, your URM status really doesn't benefit the university like it did when you were first admitted.

themapples
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby themapples » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks for the yahoo link, that does have more information.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 am

damn i just checked out NW "mandatory" curve.
It s like top 1/3 get As 30% B+ lol.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... olicy.html

I think the avg gpa is like 3.5 or something.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Question for URM @ T14

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm

thexfactor wrote:damn i just checked out NW "mandatory" curve.
It s like top 1/3 get As 30% B+ lol.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... olicy.html

I think the avg gpa is like 3.5 or something.


With the policy, the highest grade possible curve is a 3.38 ... not quite a 3.50, but still ...




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests