Definition of Big Law... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Brawndo

New

Definition of Big Law...

Post by Brawndo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:58 pm

that I found on Urban Dictionary: --LinkRemoved--

Funny, and kind of true

ogman05

Bronze

Re: Definition of Big Law...

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Brawndo wrote:that I found on Urban Dictionary: --LinkRemoved--

Funny, and kind of true
Lol with the threads with karama and renzo lately I was expecting this to pop up soon. haha Kind of sad though, the reality that is. I'll ignore it till I'm in it. :mrgreen:

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:05 pm

ogman05 wrote:
Brawndo wrote:that I found on Urban Dictionary: --LinkRemoved--

Funny, and kind of true
Lol with the threads with karama and renzo lately I was expecting this to pop up soon. haha Kind of sad though, the reality that is. I'll ignore it till I'm in it. :mrgreen:
Agreed. Completelly planning to be among the two-thirds mentioned. Sad.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Although those in it would say somethign to that affect to get their 3 years back they still wouldnt do it in exchange for being a server in some restaurant and drinking with friends every weekend. Lots of people I graduated with from college have ended up in this category. This is further proven by the point that they could pay off their loans and leave biglaw but many stay if they can or just go to a slightly smaller firm where they still work gruelling hours relative to their buddy at ruby tuesdays

Brawndo

New

Post by Brawndo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:14 pm

ogman05 wrote:Although those in it would say somethign to that affect to get their 3 years back they still wouldnt do it in exchange for being a server in some restaurant and drinking with friends every weekend. Lots of people I graduated with from college have ended up in this category. This is further proven by the point that they could pay off their loans and leave biglaw but many stay if they can or just go to a slightly smaller firm where they still work gruelling hours relative to their buddy at ruby tuesdays
I'm pretty sure the alternative to working in Big Law is not Ruby Tuesday, lol

It's called government, non-profit, or boutique firms

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Brawndo wrote:
ogman05 wrote:Although those in it would say somethign to that affect to get their 3 years back they still wouldnt do it in exchange for being a server in some restaurant and drinking with friends every weekend. Lots of people I graduated with from college have ended up in this category. This is further proven by the point that they could pay off their loans and leave biglaw but many stay if they can or just go to a slightly smaller firm where they still work gruelling hours relative to their buddy at ruby tuesdays
I'm pretty sure the alternative to working in Big Law is not Ruby Tuesday, lol

It's called government, non-profit, or boutique firms
Not saying it is but the fact that there is high dissatisfaction and alcoholism among lawyers but that no one leaves given exit options shows that they don;t want to leave bad enough. There are obviously better options than ruby's but many still prefer to remain where they are. Even with 200k in debt, with 100k after taxes one could pay off their debt in four to five years if they were relentless about it and pursue something they enjoy. PEople stay in it because it is better than the existing alternative. That's all.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 pm

No firm does BMW leases that I'm aware of.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”