Cali Awards

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Always Credited

Re: Cali Awards

Postby Always Credited » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm

DubPoker wrote:Got a 98 in one class. I asked the professor today, he said he doesn't award higher than a 98, but he said he might have given two of them this past semester (in the same class).

Anyone know what happens in a tie situation?

Yeah, I do. You shut up and enjoy the 98.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Always Credited wrote:
DubPoker wrote:Got a 98 in one class. I asked the professor today, he said he doesn't award higher than a 98, but he said he might have given two of them this past semester (in the same class).

Yeah, I do. You shut up and enjoy the 98.

:) true true, I wouldn't tout it around IRL. but on TLS, and in the CALI thread its completely different.

Honestly just curious.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 pm

At some schools if there's a tie both students get a CALI. Last year 3 people CALI'd one of my classes.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Cagematch obviously

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:At some schools if there's a tie both students get a CALI. Last year 3 people CALI'd one of my classes.

Yeah, I was one of two co-recipients for one this year. NOT SUBTLE BRAGGING
But in answer to the question, yeah, they'll just give two. Or maybe just at our school (LT and I are at the same one).
Oddly enough, our final exam was out of 600 points (our prof said an all-time high score on her exam was right around 400/600). I still kind of want to ask her if we got exactly the same score or were just very very close.

Not that it matters.

agroothuis

Postby agroothuis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Guys,

Actually, in the event of a tie there's no clear-cut way to know who will get the award unless you know your school's or your professor's policy.

Some schools will give the award to multiple recipients, some may have a policy for how to handle ties. Some profs may wish to pick a winner of those who had the highest score.

If the school requests multiple awards for one class, we accommodate them.

Again, best bet is to ask your professor or your school administrators.

Austin
austin at cali dot org

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Well, talked to the school.

At my school if there are two top grades they both get the award, but they will not do more than two. If there are more they make the professor decide how to do the tiebreaker (e.g. attendance, participation, ect). They almost made it sound like if there are more than two only one person gets it. Professor gets to decide who is the best. Although they may have meant that the professor gets to decide that the top two.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:16 am

DubPoker wrote:Well, talked to the school.

At my school if there are two top grades they both get the award, but they will not do more than two. If there are more they make the professor decide how to do the tiebreaker (e.g. attendance, participation, ect). They almost made it sound like if there are more than two only one person gets it. Professor gets to decide who is the best. Although they may have meant that the professor gets to decide that the top two.

Same at my school. Funny, I started this thread almost three years ago.

I have seven CALIs. I was trying to beat the school record, but don't know if I am going to. I don't think so because only one semester left.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 am

rbgrocio wrote:I have seven CALIs. I was trying to beat the school record, but don't know if I am going to. I don't think so because only one semester left.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:37 am

sundance95 wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:I have seven CALIs. I was trying to beat the school record, but don't know if I am going to. I don't think so because only one semester left.

lol. Pretty funny.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 am

rbgrocio wrote:

I have seven CALIs. I was trying to beat the school record, but don't know if I am going to. I don't think so because only one semester left.

You really like to round up...

chiwachiwa

Postby chiwachiwa » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

rbgrocio wrote:

Did you really ask someone what the "school record" is?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 am

No. I would not go around asking that. That is craziness. I just know the guy who holds the record.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”