Living with Parents during Law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
the lantern

Re: Living with Parents during Law school?

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 pm

I can't believe so many people think living with your parents is such a great idea. Living with your parents fucking blows. There is nothing worse than coming home after a long day at work and a long day at class and listening to your mother nag you or your parents fighting over something... you have to be super nice because they are putting you up for free, paying for your food, etc... I lived with my parents for my last 2 yrs of undergrad while I was commuting to school and working full time at the same time, and I would definitely not do it again. I will gladly pay a few thousand dollars a year to be able to have people over whenever I want, listen to music as loud as I like, smoke in my own god damn house, drink whenever I want, have sex in my own bed, etc. etc. Living with your parents is essentially living with the two worst roommates in the entire world.

edit: for the record, I know how awesome it is to live on your own because I did it for 7 yrs before moving back in with my parents. I also hate my mother. They also both suck at cooking, so the food isn't even any good (and it is SUPER SUPER unhealthy). So I guess how I could understand why I may have a different perspective, but even with my dad, whom I like and do not live with, I would not want to live with.
Last edited by the lantern on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 pm

the lantern wrote:I can't believe so many people think living with your parents is such a great idea. Living with your parents fucking blows. There is nothing worse than coming home after a long day at work and a long day at class and listening to your mother nag you or your parents fighting over something... you have to be super nice because they are putting you up for free, paying for your food, etc... I lived with my parents for my last 2 yrs of undergrad while I was commuting to school and working full time at the same time, and I would definitely not do it again. I will gladly pay a few thousand dollars a year to be able to have people over whenever I want, listen to music as loud as I like, smoke in my own god damn house, drink whenever I want, have sex in my own bed, etc. etc. Living with your parents is essentially living with the two worst roommates in the entire world.

Where is the cost of living on your own only a few thousand dollars (there must be a decent law school close by)??

frost

Postby frost » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
frost wrote: I'm getting free meals and rides to school whenever my parents drive in to work.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

LOL - you're kidding, right? Wow. It is truly striking the differences in world-view and experience levels we'll be seeing in the fall. I'm telling you, you'd be doing yourself a great favor by venturing out of the nest during LS - just my opinion though.

No I'm not kidding. Here's a world-view for you: I can cook, I can drive, I take the train on most days, and I'm not some sheltered mama's kid. I've worked for over two years before law school and lived in different parts of the world. It's not like I sit at home waiting to be fed, but obviously my parents need to cook for themselves when they're home, and they usually save me left-overs. When they drive out to work at around the same time I leave, I go with them. Don't make assumptions about me and tell me to "venture out of the nest" cuz maybe you're the one who needs to realize that living at home doesn't mean you're automatically jeopardize other aspects of your life. I've probably ventured out a lot more than you have, kiddo. For one thing, I'm already in law school and NOT making assumptions about others around me based on where they live.

Edit for clarification: like I said earlier, my parents are really laid-back and let me do whatever I want. So I'm only telling OP to stay with his family if he doesn't think he'll be hindered by his family, not for the sole purpose of being able to eat free food and get rides.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 pm

frost wrote:So I'm only telling OP to stay with his family if he doesn't think he'll be hindered by his family, not for the sole purpose of being able to eat free food and get rides.

Those are nice perks though.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
frost wrote:So I'm only telling OP to stay with his family if he doesn't think he'll be hindered by his family, not for the sole purpose of being able to eat free food and get rides.

From my experience, all the free food, free rent, and free laundry service is not worth the price of FREEEEEEDDDDDOMMMMMMMMMMM

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:03 pm

the lantern wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

From my experience, all the free food, free rent, and free laundry service is not worth the price of FREEEEEEDDDDDOMMMMMMMMMMM

Yeah, but there are differing degrees of freedom lost. My parents' house, I would probably lose a negligible amount (double check all the locks when I come home, don't make a shitload of noise in the middle of the night, and that's about it). I take those benefits (if I could), thank you very much.

fonzerelli

Postby fonzerelli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 pm

frost wrote:
No I'm not kidding. Here's a world-view for you: I can cook, I can drive, I take the train on most days, and I'm not some sheltered mama's kid. I've worked for over two years before law school and lived in different parts of the world. It's not like I sit at home waiting to be fed, but obviously my parents need to cook for themselves when they're home, and they usually save me left-overs. When they drive out to work at around the same time I leave, I go with them. Don't make assumptions about me and tell me to "venture out of the nest" cuz maybe you're the one who needs to realize that living at home doesn't mean you're automatically jeopardize other aspects of your life. I've probably ventured out a lot more than you have, kiddo. For one thing, I'm already in law school and NOT making assumptions about others around me based on where they live.

Edit for clarification: like I said earlier, my parents are really laid-back and let me do whatever I want. So I'm only telling OP to stay with his family if he doesn't think he'll be hindered by his family, not for the sole purpose of being able to eat free food and get rides.

LOL! Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm convinced. I can see I hit a nerve and you're being a bit emotional, but you're absolutely wrong about the "venturing out more than me" unless you too have lived and worked in 4 major cities, ran 2 LLC's, own a 500k home, (this aspect actually IS challenging in this market) are married, have a multitude of real responsibilites and so forth. I'm also financing law school in the fall, myself. Mommy doesn't save me any leftovers buddy, so, as I'm sure you'll hear your parents say during your 2L, "watch your mouth."

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:43 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
frost wrote:

LOL! Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm convinced. I can see I hit a nerve and you're being a bit emotional, but you're absolutely wrong about the "venturing out more than me" unless you too have lived and worked in 4 major cities, ran 2 LLC's, own a 500k home, (this aspect actually IS challenging in this market) are married, have a multitude of real responsibilites and so forth. I'm also financing law school in the fall, myself. Mommy doesn't save me any leftovers buddy, so, as I'm sure you'll hear your parents say during your 2L, "watch your mouth."

Aside from my opinion on the living with the parents thing, must people constantly beat off their own creds on this board?

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:
frost wrote:

Aside from my opinion on the living with the parents thing, must people constantly beat off their own creds on this board?

You'd think that, given the odd chance that you're attending the same school or are in the same city/town, any dude would be glad that another guy is essentially promising not to compete for any women for a few years.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 pm

WhyBother? wrote:You'd think that, given the odd chance that you're attending the same school or are in the same city/town, any dude would be glad that another guy is essentially promising not to compete for any women for a few years.

Not necessarily. You just gotta find a chick with her own place. :mrgreen:

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:You'd think that, given the odd chance that you're attending the same school or are in the same city/town, any dude would be glad that another guy is essentially promising not to compete for any women for a few years.

You have an Italian mother who cooks well, so the rules totally change. I'd visit, if she saved us both leftovers.

Edit: I have my own place.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 pm

WhyBother? wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

You have an Italian mother who cooks well, so the rules totally change. I'd visit, if she saved us both leftovers.

Edit: I have my own place.

This feels like you're hitting on me all of a sudden. Assuming you're a female, :wink: .

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 pm

i live at home right now and hate my life..if u havent lived at home for awhile, expect to feel how i do

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

You say that now, but just wait til you get sick of sleeping in someone else's bed, getting up 15 minutes early so you can go home to change clothes/shower in the morning before work/class, etc.

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:54 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
This feels like you're hitting on me all of a sudden. Assuming you're a female, :wink: .

I am female. Never underestimate how sexy the rare combination of a 170+ (me, too!) and good, old-fashioned common sense can be.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:55 pm

the lantern wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

You say that now, but just wait til you get sick of sleeping in someone else's bed, getting up 15 minutes early so you can go home to change clothes/shower in the morning before work/class, etc.

You're talkin' to a guy who woke up at 4:30 in the morning for about 90% of the 5 years preceding law school. No problemo.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:56 pm

the lantern wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

edit: i didnt follow this convo correctly...but u can manage
Last edited by jmaan on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 pm

WhyBother? wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

I am female. Never underestimate how sexy the rare combination of a 170+ (me, too!) and good, old-fashioned common sense can be.

I am a big fan of the smart chicks.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:01 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
the lantern wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

You're talkin' to a guy who woke up at 4:30 in the morning for about 90% of the 5 years preceding law school. No problemo.

To echo the sentiments expressed earlier in this thread: you're talking to a guy who has gotten up at 4:00a every morning since high school graduation, including UG and during full time work. I can't tell you how delighted my girlfriend was by me getting up each morning around 3:45 and waking her up! It is also wonderful to sneak around because your gf has roommates, etc. I'm sure some of you really do have cool parents, but I just want to raise every reason I hated living at home after being out on my own so people know just how much it really sucks. I am a VERY debt averse person, but I will gladly take out loans to live off of because living at home just totally ruins my quality of life.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:04 pm

the lantern wrote:To echo the sentiments expressed earlier in this thread: you're talking to a guy who has gotten up at 4:00a every morning since high school graduation, including UG and during full time work. I can't tell you how delighted my girlfriend was by me getting up each morning around 3:45 and waking her up! It is also wonderful to sneak around because your gf has roommates, etc. I'm sure some of you really do have cool parents, but I just want to raise every reason I hated living at home after being out on my own so people know just how much it really sucks.

I'll say this about those early mornings. It's not the waking up early that bugs 'em. It's the falling asleep early at night.

frost

Postby frost » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
frost wrote:

I actually think the tone of this thread is much more amusing now and don't really want to butt in, but I just wanted to make the point to fonz that I'm really not emotional and don't care to compete about how many places we have each lived in or how much of an independent homeowner I am. You're missing the point. Like I said before, my only grievance is that you were so quick to jump the gun and make assumptions that I'm some sheltered good-for-nothing kid. I'm not. My advice was purely for OP and you took it upon yourself to ridicule me for not venturing into the world. It's none of your business. I'm also not a guy so I actually won't be helping anyone up their game for bringing girls home, sorry!

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 am

Pearalegal wrote:
postitnotes wrote:For the nay-sayers, it sounds like your parents suck. For those of us with cool parents, living at home is ideal. My mom lets the s/o and me share a bed when we visit...that is how cool my mother is. I would gladly live with my mom or my S/O's parents, given the chance.

gollymolly wrote:I'm honestly a little shocked to find out that people who are old enough to go to law school still have cooking/cleaning/laundry done by their parents when they live at home.

Yeah, I know. Aren't they lucky?

Haha, I don't know if that counts as "cool..." (sounds like I'm talking to the kid in high school who had parents who let him smoke and drink in the house....oooooh, exciting!) just a different way of doing things. I wouldn't want to sleep with my significant other in my parents house, though sneaking around to manage it was uh, fun in high school.

I just wouldn't want to wake up with my boyfriend and have eggs with my mom. I like my independence too much. Plus, my mom would laugh in my face if I was ever living with her, not paying rent...and then assumed she would do my laundry and buy my food. She raised me to want to do things on my own, and certainly isn't going to constantly baby me now that I have a college degree and can take care of myself.

Sleeping with your long-term S/O in your parents' house isn't reminiscent of high school, considering married couples do it when they visit the parents. If you just relate "sleeping with your S/O" in your parents' house with high school flings, then you haven't matured enough to understand what a long-term relationship entails. If anything wanting to have "sleepovers with boys" is far more reminiscent of adolescent years.

In high school, I pretty much owned school and ended up at a top 15 undergrad. I'm pretty sure my mom is really liberal now partly because I was responsible back then. I "earned" her trust so to speak, so even if I were to live at home now, I can pretty much do whatever I want.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 am

postitnotes wrote:
Sleeping with your long-term S/O in your parents' house isn't reminiscent of high school, considering married couples do it when they visit the parents.
If you just relate "sleeping with your S/O" in your parents' house with high school flings, then you haven't matured enough to understand what a long-term relationship entails. If anything wanting to have "sleepovers with boys" is far more reminiscent of adolescent years.

In high school, I pretty much owned school and ended up at a top 15 undergrad. I'm pretty sure my mom is really liberal now partly because I was responsible back then. I "earned" her trust so to speak, so even if I were to live at home now, I can pretty much do whatever I want.

Apples and oranges, my friend, apples and oranges. With one, there is the knowledge that your mom may walk in on you and try to tuck you in. With the other, there is the knowledge that you can go back to your own home, with your own bed.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 am

I don't even think my mom would allow me to live at home for my own sake. Law school or not, these are some of the prime years of your life. You'll never be able to live your mid-twenties again, and enjoying these years is well worth the extra couple hundred I'll spend a month paying off loans (if that).

By the way, I got through 4 years of undergrad spending ~12k total for CoL (and I was hardly the epitome of frugality). Granted, living someplace urban would likely double or even triple that, but 60k COL over three years=you're doing it wrong. Live with a roommate (or 3), learn to make some inexpensive meals that will feed you 2-3 times each attempt, and find some places with good drink specials for crying out loud.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 am

AngryAvocado wrote:I don't even think my mom would allow me to live at home for my own sake. Law school or not, these are some of the prime years of your life. You'll never be able to live your mid-twenties again, and enjoying these years is well worth the extra couple hundred I'll spend a month paying off loans (if that).

By the way, I got through 4 years of undergrad spending ~12k total for CoL (and I was hardly the epitome of frugality). Granted, living someplace urban would likely double or even triple that, but 60k COL over three years=you're doing it wrong. Live with a roommate (or 3), learn to make some inexpensive meals that will feed you 2-3 times each attempt, and find some places with good drink specials for crying out loud.

So, you spent $3,000 a year in living expenses?! How did you manage that, at a school in the third world?!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”