Transfer!/Shmansfer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What do I do?

Stay. Be happy with your green grass.
4
16%
Pepper the top 14. The more seasoned the better.
2
8%
Cal, Penn, Chicago
0
No votes
HYS! HYS! HYS!
19
76%
 
Total votes: 25

Lemonyourlife
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:46 am

Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby Lemonyourlife » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:00 am

Thank you all who voted and commented.
Last edited by Lemonyourlife on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Why Cal, Penn and Chicago? Odd choices, particularly when you are interested in public interest (Chicago's LRAP sucks. Badly. It is even worse for transfer students.)

None of the poll options are parrticularly appropriate. You should apply to (in order of where I think you should go if you get in):

Y
H
S
NYU (because you are interested in public interest, and NYU's LRAP is amazing)
Chicago (because you want academia in the future)
Look in to Columbia's LRAP program; I'm not sure what the quality is)
Boalt/Michigan ("")

I would be surprised if you don't get in to H, amazed if you don't get CCN, and will eat my shoe if you don't get in to Boalt/Michigan (assuming even remotely similar performance next quarter)

User avatar
RonSantoRules
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby RonSantoRules » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Absent significant scholarship money or life circumstances (e.g., wife/husband lives in the place where you currently attend law school), I would transfer. I concur with TTON's assessment of things. Depending on where you are in the Top 25 and assuming similar performance, S and Y are possibilities and H is strongest bet out of the top 3.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby zanda » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:56 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Why Cal, Penn and Chicago? Odd choices, particularly when you are interested in public interest (Chicago's LRAP sucks. Badly. It is even worse for transfer students.)

None of the poll options are parrticularly appropriate. You should apply to (in order of where I think you should go if you get in):

Y
H
S
NYU (because you are interested in public interest, and NYU's LRAP is amazing)
Chicago (because you want academia in the future)
Look in to Columbia's LRAP program; I'm not sure what the quality is)
Boalt/Michigan ("")

I would be surprised if you don't get in to H, amazed if you don't get CCN, and will eat my shoe if you don't get in to Boalt/Michigan (assuming even remotely similar performance next quarter)

I agree with this. Also, if you get into a top school but decide you want to stay at your current one, you might be able to leverage some more scholly money.

User avatar
RonSantoRules
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby RonSantoRules » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:07 pm

zanda wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Why Cal, Penn and Chicago? Odd choices, particularly when you are interested in public interest (Chicago's LRAP sucks. Badly. It is even worse for transfer students.)

None of the poll options are parrticularly appropriate. You should apply to (in order of where I think you should go if you get in):

Y
H
S
NYU (because you are interested in public interest, and NYU's LRAP is amazing)
Chicago (because you want academia in the future)
Look in to Columbia's LRAP program; I'm not sure what the quality is)
Boalt/Michigan ("")

I would be surprised if you don't get in to H, amazed if you don't get CCN, and will eat my shoe if you don't get in to Boalt/Michigan (assuming even remotely similar performance next quarter)

I agree with this. Also, if you get into a top school but decide you want to stay at your current one, you might be able to leverage some more scholly money.


Significant need based aid also is available at HLS and SLS, among others, if you could pull those and qualify, so I would apply any way and compare even if you could leverage additional financial assistance from your old school. Getting $$ from your old schools seems to be the exception rather than the norm in transferring situations since they already have your LSAT/GPA for USNWR ranking purposes.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby OGR3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:09 pm

RonSantoRules wrote:
zanda wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Why Cal, Penn and Chicago? Odd choices, particularly when you are interested in public interest (Chicago's LRAP sucks. Badly. It is even worse for transfer students.)

None of the poll options are parrticularly appropriate. You should apply to (in order of where I think you should go if you get in):

Y
H
S
NYU (because you are interested in public interest, and NYU's LRAP is amazing)
Chicago (because you want academia in the future)
Look in to Columbia's LRAP program; I'm not sure what the quality is)
Boalt/Michigan ("")

I would be surprised if you don't get in to H, amazed if you don't get CCN, and will eat my shoe if you don't get in to Boalt/Michigan (assuming even remotely similar performance next quarter)

I agree with this. Also, if you get into a top school but decide you want to stay at your current one, you might be able to leverage some more scholly money.


Significant need based aid also is available at HLS and SLS, among others, if you could pull those and qualify, so I would apply any way and compare even if you could leverage additional financial assistance from your old school. Getting $$ from your old schools seems to be the exception rather than the norm in transferring situations since they already have your LSAT/GPA for USNWR ranking purposes.


Though it doesn't look good for a T25 to have high attrition rates.

User avatar
RonSantoRules
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Transfer!/Shmansfer?

Postby RonSantoRules » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:14 pm

OGR3 wrote:
RonSantoRules wrote:
zanda wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Why Cal, Penn and Chicago? Odd choices, particularly when you are interested in public interest (Chicago's LRAP sucks. Badly. It is even worse for transfer students.)

None of the poll options are parrticularly appropriate. You should apply to (in order of where I think you should go if you get in):

Y
H
S
NYU (because you are interested in public interest, and NYU's LRAP is amazing)
Chicago (because you want academia in the future)
Look in to Columbia's LRAP program; I'm not sure what the quality is)
Boalt/Michigan ("")

I would be surprised if you don't get in to H, amazed if you don't get CCN, and will eat my shoe if you don't get in to Boalt/Michigan (assuming even remotely similar performance next quarter)

I agree with this. Also, if you get into a top school but decide you want to stay at your current one, you might be able to leverage some more scholly money.


Significant need based aid also is available at HLS and SLS, among others, if you could pull those and qualify, so I would apply any way and compare even if you could leverage additional financial assistance from your old school. Getting $$ from your old schools seems to be the exception rather than the norm in transferring situations since they already have your LSAT/GPA for USNWR ranking purposes.


Though it doesn't look good for a T25 to have high attrition rates.


Regardless, it is unlikely that they will open the checkbook for you based on their dislike of attrition rates.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests