Transfer or Stay Options?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
phishskier41

Transfer or Stay Options?

Postby phishskier41 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Hey all, I would really appreciate some advice. I just finished my first semester with 2 A- and 2 B+ and a 3.46, the curve for my school is set between a 2.7 and 3.0, when looking at decile ranges for the 2L class this year a 3.46 puts me just above the top 15%, just below the top 10%. I am a lower tier 2 with about a 1/3 tuition scholarship. My career goals would be big law to mid law in DC/Baltimore.

I have looked at all of the transfer info and am wondering if GW or GTOWN or maybe even MD (Where I would be in-state) would be worth the transfer / if there is any chance?

Thanks for the help.

thexfactor

Re: Transfer or Stay Options?

Postby thexfactor » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:59 am

im in a similar boat. I have similar grade. Not law review good but solid.

Lemonyourlife

Postby Lemonyourlife » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:04 am

I don't know enough to tell you what your chances are but I would apply for Georgetown EA if that is the area you want to be in. Second to that I would apply to Maryland for instate tuition. What about U Virginia? If you are seriously thinking about transferring, it may be worth the application fee.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:06 am

Work harder next semester, get your GPA up a little more, apply to GULC and UVA.

phishskier41

Postby phishskier41 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 am

I think the working harder is the best plan for sure, is it even worth throwing GULC an EA application or just wait till the end of the year?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 am

phishskier41 wrote:I think the working harder is the best plan for sure, is it even worth throwing GULC an EA application or just wait till the end of the year?

It depends. If you manage to increase your grades next semester you give yourself a bigger chance of acceptance than you'd have based on just this semester's grades. If you really are going to put in the additional work (and work smart, study exam-taking as well as the material to improve in as many ways as you can) then you should delay and wait to take next semester's grades into account.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Work harder next semester, get your GPA up a little more, apply to GULC and UVA.

In a similar boat as the OP (minus the geographic preference), but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully pulled off the jump to top 10% 2nd semester? It seems like everyone about here (and I know it's not a great sample size, but bear with me), seems to stay where they are, or end up doing better second semester, so that doesn't leave much chance for pulling up your ranking if the top 10 end up staying where they are. Does a increasing grade trend bear any weight if your ranking doesn't change?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”