Digging myself out of the first semester landslide?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KSCO

Digging myself out of the first semester landslide?

Postby KSCO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:30 pm

How do I dig myself out of the first semester landslide, both academically and in terms of summer positions? I attend an upper level T1 (not T14) and am apparently am in the bottom 10% of my class after my first semester. I graduated with a high GPA from a well regarded college and have overcome far worse than this (cancer, etc...), however am worried over how this will affect positions I have already been offered based on my background and how I can bounce back? I know I want to practice law (preferably litigation), have almost a full scholarship not contingent on grades fortunately and have been significantly involved outside of the classroom (both inside of the law school and outside) which will hopefully mitigate to an extent. I really needed to perform well this semester to maximize what I accomplished through networking and sheer will outside of class (and I was very, very diligent in class which kills me). Any thoughts would be helpful.

chadwick218

Re: Digging myself out of the first semester landslide?

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:37 pm

KSCO wrote:How do I dig myself out of the first semester landslide, both academically and in terms of summer positions? I attend an upper level T1 (not T14) and am apparently am in the bottom 10% of my class after my first semester. I graduated with a high GPA from a well regarded college and have overcome far worse than this (cancer, etc...), however am worried over how this will affect positions I have already been offered based on my background and how I can bounce back? I know I want to practice law (preferably litigation), have almost a full scholarship not contingent on grades fortunately and have been significantly involved outside of the classroom (both inside of the law school and outside) which will hopefully mitigate to an extent. I really needed to perform well this semester to maximize what I accomplished through networking and sheer will outside of class (and I was very, very diligent in class which kills me). Any thoughts would be helpful.

How exactly are you sure that you are in the bottom 10%?

For starters, I would read through each of your exams and set up meetings with your professors to learn what exactly you did wrong in terms of writing an exam. To be honest, unless you simply never attended class or studied, finishing in the bottom 10% probably has a lot more to do with your ability to take law school exams.

There are some other helpful threads that I look for and post.

Assuming that you are in the bottom 10%, for big law, you really are probably fucked unless you can pull off a perfect spring semester, but don't drop out (despite what others may say) ... congrats on the full-ride!

Unjust Enrichment

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm

You say you were diligent in the classroom...

Did you feel good going into the tests?
Did you feel good coming out of the tests, and these grades were really surprising to you?

If you felt prepared going in and something on the test blindsided you, the problem should be something you can hopefully see from what you turned out to be unprepared for.

If you felt good after the tests were over, and the grades just knocked you over, talking to your profs will help you a lot more than talking to us, I'd venture to guess. In any case, good luck finding the problem and fixing it. The fact that you're looking at having little debt is obviously a real silver lining at this point.

KSCO

Postby KSCO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I have C's and a C is the bottom ten percent.

I felt good coming out of two (the third was discouraging). I plan on talking to each of my professors and asking for their guidance. Any suggestions as to how I focus on the summer? Do I just keep networking and plugging away at this aspect? I am more interested in public interest fortunately (due to my background and work before law school).

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:48 pm

KSCO wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. I have C's and a C is the bottom ten percent.

I felt good coming out of two (the third was discouraging). I plan on talking to each of my professors and asking for their guidance. Any suggestions as to how I focus on the summer? Do I just keep networking and plugging away at this aspect? I am more interested in public interest fortunately (due to my background and work before law school).

It really does seem as though the whole law school exam process really threw you off ... next semester you may want to get together with a group of friends and take some practice exams under real exam conditions and then ask a friend to review / "grade" your exam.

Otherwise, I prepared for every class this semester as though class that day was an exam. I also outlined early and worked from through these outlines over the course of the semester so that material taught very early wouldn't be lost!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”