Transfer from BU or stay?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby kams » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently got my first semester grades back, and I'm in the top 10%. Assuming I can replicate my performance for this semester, would it be possible to transfer to a top 14? If it's possible, is it recommended?

kurguzy
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby kurguzy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Why would you want to transfer? If you transfer you lose your class rank. Just because you go to a t14 college does not guarantee you a biglaw job.
Where do you want to live? Are you happy at BU? Does BU have the curriculum you are looking for? What are you chances for Law Review, moot court, clinics? There are so many other factors to consider than the prestige of a school.

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter ... 8256428026

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby kams » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 pm

I'll probably just stay, since I've got a scholarship. But I mean, do some T14s not use grades. Therefore, wouldn't transferring there not make a difference?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby dakatz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:43 pm

If you are doing so well there, I don't think you have a real need to transfer unless you honestly don't like it there. With a top 10% rank, you can hopefully get on law review, get some good internships, etc. This will set you up to get a great job when you graduate. Why throw that away for a T14 gamble? Those T14 schools are no longer a guarantee of anything, so I personally think you are in a great situation there at BU. How do you like it there, btw? Its one of my top choices.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Screw you Kam. But to answer your question (not to pry), but are you barely top 10% or more like top 5%, etc? If you're more of the latter, I would look across the river to transfer. The former, you're going to have issues with giving up your scholarship and going to a school that still isn't that safe from the economy. Depending on how big your scholarship is, and what your grades are actually like, I would hit HYS CCN or bust. Outside of that, I don't think its worth it.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:46 pm

kurguzy wrote:Why would you want to transfer? If you transfer you lose your class rank. Just because you go to a t14 college does not guarantee you a biglaw job.
Where do you want to live? Are you happy at BU? Does BU have the curriculum you are looking for? What are you chances for Law Review, moot court, clinics? There are so many other factors to consider than the prestige of a school.

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter ... 8256428026


i understand the point being made here, but at the same time, if you're looking for biglaw they'd prefer to take someone from a higher school wouldn't they? it's a dirty, whorish industry. they'll still see you're gpa from BU and likely know just how high it is/how high in the class you were there, but they'll also get the more prestigious name of whatever school u xfer to....

idk, just another way to look at it.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Btw, I still haven't started my brief. I'm counting on the next week. haha.

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby kams » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Screw you Kam. But to answer your question (not to pry), but are you barely top 10% or more like top 5%, etc? If you're more of the latter, I would look across the river to transfer. The former, you're going to have issues with giving up your scholarship and going to a school that still isn't that safe from the economy. Depending on how big your scholarship is, and what your grades are actually like, I would hit HYS CCN or bust. Outside of that, I don't think its worth it.


Ha, what's going on FK? I forgot you were on here too. I think I'm only top 10%, not top 5%. so the top 6 are probably out of reach. So I'm guess it's not worth it probably. The scholarship is pretty substantial, so to lose that over the next 2 years would kinda blow.

To answer your question Dakatz, I love it here. The building is atrocious, but besides that, I couldn't be happier. Great people, and even greater professors.

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby kams » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Btw, I still haven't started my brief. I'm counting on the next week. haha.


Yeah, I don't plan on starting it til like Monday. I flew to Arizona to chill with my family, and I don't plan on doing any work. I feel like the semester still hasn't started yet.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:02 pm

I think that in terms of initial placement, you might be better off staying at BU. Transfers did fair nearly as well in this economy as I think some firms approached them with skepticism. In my opinion, outside of the T4, graduating a order of the coif as BU, carries more weight than a top 1/3 finish at a T14. If you want to tranfer for personal reasons or because you are interested in academia, then it might be in your best interest. Congrats!
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I think that in terms of initial placement, you might be better off staying at BU. Transfers did fair nearly as well in this economy as I think some firms approached them with skepticism. In my opinion, outside of the T4, graduating a order of the coif as BU, carries more weight than a top 1/3 finish at a T14. If you want to tranfer for person reasons or because you are interested in academia, then it might be in your best interest. Congrats!


Oh yea. I forgot to say, CONGRATS man! Thats awesome!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Put in a transfer to H, you never know, they might take you.

Otherwise... will you make Law Review? I think BU + LR is probably a pretty sweet deal, otherwise you should consider applying to some T14s. I say "consider applying" because you don't know which will and which don't accept you; you're a longshot for T6, yes, but that doesn't mean you can't apply. If you could move up to Columbia or Chicago and you're just shy of LR at BU then I'd say "hell yes". If you're talking more like transferring to GULC or Duke then I'd say no, don't even consider it.

gollymolly
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby gollymolly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:24 pm

.
Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Transfer from BU or stay?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Stay unless you can make it to HYS or Columbia, IMO.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jerrycallo, ptz and 7 guests