Cs in first semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
krislaw25

Cs in first semester

Postby krislaw25 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello all:
I recently received my 1L grades, and they are not too good. I am a part-time student, working part-time at a law firm, so I only take 4 classes a semester. I am at a 3-Tier school.
I got an A in my Legal Writing class, but C in Torts and a C+ in Contracts. I am
really bummed because I thought I did so much better than that. Any suggestions on improving my exam grades for next semester. I can obviously write good legal memoranda, but I am
writing C exams. Any advice and/or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

General Tso

Re: Cs in first semester

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:13 pm

you've been on TLS for a year and a half and haven't learned what study methods ppl here recommend?

1. Supplements should be focus of your study
2. Prepare for the EXAM from day 1, don't worry about preparing to impress the prof. when called on.
3. Take as many practice exams from previous years as possible
4. TYPE your exam, don't handwrite. You can type 30-50% faster than you handwrite, and more words is generally thought to = better grade. Plus you don't have to worry about your prof. docking you for bad handwriting.

krislaw25

Postby krislaw25 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:15 pm

I have not been on the site for a long time. I only read posts when prepping for LSAT. Have not utilized the site for actual law school stuff until now. Thanks for your post.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:23 pm

See if you can find the Supplements thread on the students forum. Also if you can find it, Arrow did an excellent article on how to succeed first year.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:40 pm

swheat wrote:you've been on TLS for a year and a half and haven't learned what study methods ppl here recommend?

1. Supplements should be focus of your study.

I completely disagree, though I used to agree.

But that's just par for the course for law school. There is no right answer for how to prepare, which isn't what anybody wants to hear.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:45 pm

I studied supplements during my first semester. Looking back, I think I could have done just as well without the supplements. Nonetheless, I will continue studying the supplements next semester.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:14 pm

JazzOne wrote:I studied supplements during my first semester. Looking back, I think I could have done just as well without the supplements. Nonetheless, I will continue studying the supplements next semester.

I think they are fine as long as you don't use them as a substitute for classroom/casebook learning, but instead as a true "supplement." You should use them to either clarify something learned in class or to give you some greater depth on a topic for use on an exam answer. They shouldn't be used because you're bored by the way the casebook or the professor is teaching something and figure you'll just "learn it on my own." That's asking for disaster, but I think a lot of students do just that. I've been guilty of it myself.

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:29 pm

I also disagree that supplements should be the focus of your study, although swheat is right about the exam being much more important than anything else.

1 - ASK PROFESSOR WHAT TYPE OF EXAM (OPEN/CLOSED, ESSAY/MC) - Find one of their old exams and look for important specifics (brief MC versus long MC, only right answer v best right answer, essays with estimated time provided against essays with no time provided, information provided in setup [e.g. JX of cases, so you can ignore all those "in florida they have this special rule when it comes to x" points in the lecture]

2 - Immeadiately look at older students outlines not to learn the material, but to understand WHERE THE CLASS IS GOING (after your first semester this should be very easy to do now you know how law school works).

3 - Spend the first two weeks just doing what the prof says (i.e. read + go to lecture) and see how reasonable it is to glean the required information from these methods.

4 - Look and see if there is a reputable supplement that is keyed to your casebook, head to the library and check out supplements for the class and see which ones you might consider buying/using to make the information clearer

5 - Amass a huge collection of practice tests from every teacher in your school but your own, you can also use tests from other schools, supplements, etc. Use these throughout the course to keep the information fresh and get used to answering questions on the material for the class.

6 - Toward the end of the class, make a schedule so you will be able to use every single one of your professor's old practice tests before taking the real final. Many people at my school timed poorly and were only able to take one or two. You want as much *real* practice as possible.

---

Some classes you may NEED supplements, some classes you definitely don't, but this is based on your ability to understand the material. Remember that it is about applying the information you learn in the way your professor wants, so do not take the lecture so lightly, they may very well make clear what they want to see through their lecture (e.g. hardcore policy profs, cynical profs, profs that *love* one aspect of a class that isn't that huge a part of the class [CISG anyone?]).

Some people don't buy the casebook and just use supplements, some people only read the casebook. Do what works for you.

NOTE - I know you are at a T3 so your future is in a somewhat precarious state if you don't bring grades up, but congrats on the A in legal writing, many employers I have interviewed for said writing sample substantially outweighed the importance of grades (we aren't talking about civil firms here though).

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Read casebooks until you understand how to gather the information from the cases that is necessary and to do analysis of facts, then toss those fuckers into the fire. 5 page cases for three sentences worth of learning...psh.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:14 pm

VincentChase wrote:
swheat wrote:you've been on TLS for a year and a half and haven't learned what study methods ppl here recommend?

But that's just par for the course for law school. There is no right answer for how to prepare, which isn't what anybody wants to hear.

Agree with you. Finding a really good old outline made by a previous student targeted towards your professor is probably by far the best source. It seems that most people are not that good at making outlines and I think the whole "make your own outline" to learn method is blindly advocated on TLS.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:25 pm

postitnotes wrote:
VincentChase wrote:

Agree with you. Finding a really good old outline made by a previous student targeted towards your professor is probably by far the best source. It seems that most people are not that good at making outlines and I think the whole "make your own outline" to learn method is blindly advocated on TLS.

i got my lowest grade in the only course i fully outlined lol

one course i got 3 pages of an outline in, said screw it im not doing this, just printed my notes out and said "this is my outline" and i booked it

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Depends on where you are attending law school. At a T14, where C's are rarely given out, it can be a kiss of death. At a school that curves from a 2.50 to a 2.67, it's really no big deal ... it's all relative!

Dman

Postby Dman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 pm

In regards to supplements, I don't think they are necessary unless you really are not getting it. Going to class, focusing on what the prof felt was important and using their version of BLL was the most helpful for me. I tired supplements but felt them watered down in some areas and just different from my class notes in others.

As others have already mentioned, there is no one way to succeed but finding the one that works for you as quickly as possible is what will separate you from the pack.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Check out these threads for great advice:

After Grades - What did we learn?
Books, Study Guides, E&Es, Studying, Etc. (tons of links, too)
Arrow's advice thread
Xeoh's advice thread

Keep working hard and always work with the exam in mind. Good luck spring semester!

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:13 pm

TBH, I used the supplements vary sparingly. I actually preferred the casebook b/c the professors really emphasized the stuff in them and I wanted to use keywords from class notes and the casebook instead of supplements. Arrow used supplements extensively and absolutely owned so to each his/her own! :wink:

I will probably use them more this semester, but we shall see. I think I need to do better at fully understanding the BLL this semester but I don't really know if I need to supplement more or just pay attention more, haha.

Postby 06072010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 pm

VincentChase wrote:

Same. I do the reading and think in exam terms all semester and that's worked for me.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey kris, from what I know it's very common for people to write A memos and get C's on exams. Our school had a report on this phenomena recently, and they theorized that people with good legal skills nonetheless lack specific exam skills. But these people go on to become excellent lawyers. Follow some of the advice in this thread give about gaming the exam and you should do well next semester. if not, don't freak out, in the real world nobody knows what grades you got, they only know whether you are a good lawyer.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

A'nold wrote:TBH, I used the supplements vary sparingly. I actually preferred the casebook b/c the professors really emphasized the stuff in them and I wanted to use keywords from class notes and the casebook instead of supplements. Arrow used supplements extensively and absolutely owned so to each his/her own! :wink:

I will probably use them more this semester, but we shall see. I think I need to do better at fully understanding the BLL this semester but I don't really know if I need to supplement more or just pay attention more, haha.

This next term I am planning on checking with the professors more to see if my BLL analysis is on track. I was doing it a lot more towards the end of last term and found it helped a good amount. I found a good amount of nuance profs think about in the BLL was neither in hornbook nor casebook, which should be a little disturbing. I think there's a limit to which supplements and re-reading cases will help.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:06 pm

VincentChase wrote:

I disagree too... I never bought one supplement and do not recommend them either. Emanuel outlines are OK, but not book supplements with the case briefs etc... Most of the people at my school who used them last semester did bad.

krislaw25

Postby krislaw25 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks to all that have posted so far. Did anyone check out LEEWS, and if so, did
that help them at all? I plan to start prepping for the exam now, instead of spending
all of my time briefing cases. I did very well in class participation in all of my classes
last semester, and still ended up with Cs. I need to find a better way to brief!

JPeavy44

Postby JPeavy44 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

krislaw25 wrote:Thanks to all that have posted so far. Did anyone check out LEEWS, and if so, did
that help them at all? I plan to start prepping for the exam now, instead of spending
all of my time briefing cases. I did very well in class participation in all of my classes
last semester, and still ended up with Cs. I need to find a better way to brief!

I did LEEWS and didn't find it all that helpful. I think TLS and GTM were extremely helpful though.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 am

If anyone tells you "how to study in law school," they're really telling you how they study in law school.

Personally, I used a variation on this method, and it worked pretty well: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:If anyone tells you "how to study in law school," they're really telling you how they study in law school.

Personally, I used a variation on this method, and it worked pretty well: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html

Woah, how have I not seen this before, I'm on TLS 50% of the day!

Thanks for the link.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”