Has anyone ever been this poor?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 am

I know you all think of yourselves as super intelligent but you sorely lack humor. I have looked for jobs, been on numerous interviews (I have a finance degree, so somewhat marketable), applied at jobs that are "beneath" me, and I havent heard back. I did the programming thing because I thought I might start something profitable or return to school for a MS in comp sci because they can find jobs. I taught myself probably what it takes UG's two or three years to learn, problem is that companies want a degree to prove you know your shit. I do have a credit card bill much bigger then my bank about and I am worried. I just take a humorous approach because complaining to you guys doesn't fix anything. And maybe you should learn from this advice, because for those of you telling me how poor you are, unless you answer my question, I don't (an no one else does) care how poor you are.

Edit: So have any of you like me, applied and gotten aid?

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby eth3n » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 am

You will be classed with tons of other people who will put down "0" due to their undergraduate/other debt. The money you get will be based primarily off your parents yearly income for the year before last (assuming you are 26 or younger), and to a lesser degree their current income and their total holdings in a variety of types of accounts.

Its been awhile since this was an issue so the specifics might be off, but basically its dependant on your parents if you are average law school age, most young people have no money (due primarily to UG debt).

---

If you parents are poor or retired and dont have massive savings, you could get a lot of money. If your parents make over 100k combined per year, you will not likely get much. Once again this is assuming you are young enough for parents to still come into play. It also depends on the state you are in (e.g. cal grants) and the school you are applying to.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:29 am

jayzon wrote:I once went an entire month eating nothing but canned tuna, bananas and altoids.

And no, I don't mean while I was in college. I'm talking middle school.


did you not have a food pantry in your area? when things got really tight like that my parents used to go there for stuff sometimes

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 am

eth3n wrote:You will be classed with tons of other people who will put down "0" due to their undergraduate/other debt. The money you get will be based primarily off your parents yearly income for the year before last (assuming you are 26 or younger), and to a lesser degree their current income and their total holdings in a variety of types of accounts.

Its been awhile since this was an issue so the specifics might be off, but basically its dependant on your parents if you are average law school age, most young people have no money (due primarily to UG debt).

---

If you parents are poor or retired and dont have massive savings, you could get a lot of money. If your parents make over 100k combined per year, you will not likely get much. Once again this is assuming you are young enough for parents to still come into play. It also depends on the state you are in (e.g. cal grants) and the school you are applying to.



Thanks for not being a douche and helping. On the FAFSA though they say I don't need to input my parents financials even though I am only 23, because I am still an independent. Does that not really mean that they won't look at their financials?

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby ruleser » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 am

kazu wrote:Tagged.. this thread could be interesting

Interesting like watching a train wreck.

IFT thread scarier than the no law jobs one for some reason.

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby sperry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 am

Flanker1067 wrote:^^^ That is a good point. So has anyone who has gotten into a t10 law school ever been this poor?



Never. You may want to apply elsewhere. No one at my t10 would even talk to a poor person, aside from servants.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 am

Ignore my last question, someone actually answered it earlier. Apparently law schools will still look at my parents financials even though I am considered an independent.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:37 am

Flanker1067 wrote:Thanks for not being a douche and helping. On the FAFSA though they say I don't need to input my parents financials even though I am only 23, because I am still an independent. Does that not really mean that they won't look at their financials?

The FAFSA may say you don't need to fill out that section, but some law schools will tell you that you do need to go ahead and fill it out anyway. Or they'll have their own system (such as NeedAccess) for determining financial aid that will require parental income info. However, this usually is only used for determining eligibility for need-based grants. Loans will be available to you regardless of your or your parents' income, as long as you don't have any current defaults on any debts...

...which sounds like it may be an actual problem for you. If you have anything outstanding in your name you need to pay it off, and you need to run your credit to see if it's reported on there. Once you pay it off and get them to report it's been paid it shouldn't be a problem for loan eligibility, even though it'll continue to hurt your credit for some time.

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby eth3n » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 am

i was told not to bother filing if i didnt put parental info...i dont think they are that stupid

Oblomov
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Oblomov » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 am

Flanker1067 wrote:Ignore my last question, someone actually answered it earlier. Apparently law schools will still look at my parents financials even though I am considered an independent.


Actually, I answered in on the first page and you said I was wrong.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks Vanwinkle. I got so wrapped up in applying I really forgot about this part. I might be fucked.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 am

Oblomov wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:Oh and people, I am not claiming I am the poorest person ever. I understand there are people are hundreds of thousands in debt with no job. What I am asking, is what aid they will give me. So does anyone know?



You did ask if there was anyone this poor in the t-10.

Anyhow, need based aid is going to depend on your age or other factors that would determine independence from your parents. Also, if you have any accounts in collection, you cannot get fed loans without a cosigner.



Sorry man, you didn't specify law schools will ask for it. I was talking about federal aid at first. No one mentioned the separate school need based aid till later.

User avatar
Ipsa Dixit
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:26 am

Yes, I have been that poor while working and going to school.

FAFSA will tell you what your EFC is. Fill it out and they will tell you.

If you're letting your bills go unpaid and decide you want to go to law school, you may have a problem (a) getting a GradPLUS loan if you need it, and (b) passing the moral character component of the bar.
Last edited by Ipsa Dixit on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FloridaGirl
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby FloridaGirl » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:27 am

Flanker1067 wrote:
solidsnake wrote:lol@not being able to find a job you "liked."

They're going to say you are a little bitch for making mommy and daddy pay for your UG, while you sat at home alternating between internet pron and 360.


Well when I say "liked", I mean a job that wasn't working at Border's Bookshop for $8 an hour. I did that in high school and chose to at least enjoy my days programming/looking for a job over that. And ha, I wish I had 360, obviously you missed something. I have $79 in the bank, I couldnt even afford Xbox live for very long. As for internet porn, sure, what else did I have to do?



Take the Borders job. Quit Whining. Do some independent research (call schools, LSAC, etc). Quit calling people names on an internet forum. Profit?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 am

I was that poor once. Then I got a job.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby kurla88 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 am

It doesn't matter how poor you are, they're still going to ask you to take out loans for law school. FAFSA doesn't work the same way it does for undergrad.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 am

Flanker1067 wrote:^^^ That is a good point. So has anyone who has gotten into a t10 law school ever been this poor?

Well, I've actually had to work to make rent and put food on the table, so yea, I'm winning this. Only people with money can sit around unemployed.

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby macattaq » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:12 am

No offense OP, but man. Really? I mean...really? If you're too lazy or unmotivated to take a job that's right under your nose, AND have the opportunity to turn a website into a business and pass that up...shit. You will probably have major difficulty filling your eventual firm's billable hour requirement. That is, if you don't think hustling for clerkships as a 1L or doing OCI as a 2L are beneath you. Dangit, I'm getting ahead of myself. Make sure to click submit on the FAFSA app before you lose the motivation to finish.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 am

In response to the question about there being many poor people, I literally cannot think of anyone in my class who may have had a hard time with poverty issues. There might be a handful of them there, but I don't know who they are.

thisguy456
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby thisguy456 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:26 am

Flanker1067 wrote:
eth3n wrote:You will be classed with tons of other people who will put down "0" due to their undergraduate/other debt. The money you get will be based primarily off your parents yearly income for the year before last (assuming you are 26 or younger), and to a lesser degree their current income and their total holdings in a variety of types of accounts.

Its been awhile since this was an issue so the specifics might be off, but basically its dependant on your parents if you are average law school age, most young people have no money (due primarily to UG debt).

---

If you parents are poor or retired and dont have massive savings, you could get a lot of money. If your parents make over 100k combined per year, you will not likely get much. Once again this is assuming you are young enough for parents to still come into play. It also depends on the state you are in (e.g. cal grants) and the school you are applying to.



Thanks for not being a douche and helping. On the FAFSA though they say I don't need to input my parents financials even though I am only 23, because I am still an independent. Does that not really mean that they won't look at their financials?


I don't see how you're an independent if your parents are providing you shelter and food. Even if you claim that on your taxes, you're not an independent.

User avatar
summerstar
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby summerstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

...you have a finance degree?

User avatar
clevinger33
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby clevinger33 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 am

The hilarity of being broke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rSXjVuJVg


"Look I'm not being broke just to fuck with you, I just really don't have any money. I'm not trying to be a dick I just, my life is shitty."

"They charged me $15. That's how much it costs to only have $20."

"If it's free I can't fucking afford it. Someone can come up to me 'Take this it's free.' Fuck, that costs nothing, I can't afford that. That's the more than I have. I got to raise $10 to be broke, that's where I'm at."

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 am

Op:

You have a college degree of any sort and you're telling us you couldn't find ANY job? Not even McDonalds would throw you a call back?

Applying to a host of white collar jobs and not hearing back and then electing to sit on your ass for a year while mom and dad provide you with shelter and cover your U-grad loans is fucking pathetic. I've worked every day since I was 14, save the 10 days before I started law school that I used to buy furniture with the 1400 dollars I had managed to save up and prepare to move a few states away. You could have had a job this past year, you simply chose not to apply to anything that was (bad word) blue collar, or below you. Shit jobs are always available. Perhaps you should have looked into one; they tend to build some fucking character (which it seems based on this thread you might need).

Moreover, you have a finance degree and the finer points of the FASFA are throwing you through a loop? Are you serious? What was your concentration; finacing rubber dog shit transactions in bulk? Wow. T10; look out! Here comes the next John Roberts..

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 pm

I can't believe there are actually people who sit at home unemployed because working at "Borders for 8$ an hour" is below them. I'm glad there are people like you in law school, because you'll make it easier for people who actually live in the real world to rise to the top...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Has anyone ever been this poor?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 pm

the lantern wrote:I can't believe there are actually people who sit at home unemployed because working at "Borders for 8$ an hour" is below them. I'm glad there are people like you in law school, because you'll make it easier for people who actually live in the real world to rise to the top...

People who go to law school because they have no work ethic are my best friends. Without them, the curve would be so much harder to beat. :mrgreen:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests