Asking for more scholarship money after first semester.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Should I ask for more scholarship Money after making Dean's List?

Heck yeah: you worked hard for your grades and you deserve more.
48%
You're being an idiot, they will not give you an increase
52%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 27

scholly

Asking for more scholarship money after first semester.

Postby scholly » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Last edited by scholly on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titus

Re: Asking for more scholarship money after first semester.

Postby Titus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Would you be willing to transfer? If you would be, then you might be able to get some money. If they know you are going to stay anyway, why would they offer you scholarship money? Expecting a full ride might be out of the question (because it might have the same financial impact to the school as transferring), but you might get something. As long as you don't alienate the staff, you probably would be no worse off by asking.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Please update with results!!

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:53 pm

I'd be interested in how this goes for you. I have no idea who you should ask: admissions or dean's office. That's a good question.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm also interested, since I'm in a same situation. I got very little scholarship money, but pulled a 3.67. I was considering transferring, but many schools do not offer money to transfer students. I'm curious as to whether you can ask your current school for more money.

emoticons777

Postby emoticons777 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm not sure if this is applicable at law school, but I know in undergrad there was a one semester grace period. If you go below the required GPA requirement, you were on probation for a semester and if you got better grades the second semester you could retain your scholarship. If this is the case, it would mean there is no freed scholarship money for you.

frost

Postby frost » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:56 pm

This is just speculation but I think you probably won't be successful after only one semester. It's probably better to try at the end of the year since people who were offered scholarships upon entering usually get year-long, not semester-long scholarships. Also as others have said the only reason to give you a scholarship is to keep you at the school. Since they know you'll be staying around for the spring semester, it seems to me there's no point asking until you get all your grades at the end of the year.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”