First Semester Grades: Should I quit? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Quit or stay?

Quit
44%
Stay
56%

Total votes: 108

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Re: First Semester Grades: Should I quit?

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:30 am

In my mind, regurgitating Gilbert's outline shouldn't be worthy of an A. (I didn't make a single outline of my own.)
You're at a T4. Maybe you aren't being challenged. Parlay those fantastic first semester grades into a transfer acceptance to a top school and see if regurgitating a canned outline will get you an A here.
Moreover, the sociopathic behavior that is very common among my fellow law students struck me as quite odd.
Interesting. Examples?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:39 am

What tier does your law school belong to?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:40 am

Quit. You won't get a good job in law from a T4 anyway (well its possible but top 10% doesn't cut it), and you seem to really hate the law.

I think a law degree would actually hurt your chances at getting back into LE on the local level because they'd be afraid you'd jump ship when you got your million dollar lawyer job that the public thinks are easy to come by.

If you want FBI, stay and take the bar.

If you want to be a cop, quit right now.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 am

This thread definitely deserves a

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HaroldHoward

New

Post by HaroldHoward » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I am serious. And I actually have found some good advice peppered throughout the thread.
I think a law degree would actually hurt your chances at getting back into LE on the local level because they'd be afraid you'd jump ship when you got your million dollar lawyer job that the public thinks are easy to come by.
This is the single thing that worries me the most. While I could go back to my prior agency, simply by saying the word, I want to go on to bigger and better things. I don't know if the J.D. would hurt me there.

I know that the J.D. is an absolute necessity for many 1811 jobs, but if I decide to go to a bigger city in hopes of landing an investigative gig, I probably would have to start at patrol, thus the J.D. might be a detriment there, if what some of the people on here say is correct.

coolio

New

Post by coolio » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:47 pm

why not ask for a year off to think about whether you really want it. then you could take a year doing whatever else works for you and see if there's anything pulling you back to law school. of course, make sure you keep the scholarship. you could probably convince them to let you keep it as i imagine you're the kind of student they want to keep.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 am

HaroldHoward wrote:I am serious. And I actually have found some good advice peppered throughout the thread.
Education is never something you should be scared of. If anything a JD when used in a LE career would make you that much more effective. Any realist would understand that there aren't million dollar jobs just hanging around. Besides that was one post compared to over ten telling you the exact opposite. If you want to hold on to the one negative post about your job realities with a JD it's your prerogative, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

HaroldHoward wrote:This is the single thing that worries me the most. While I could go back to my prior agency, simply by saying the word, I want to go on to bigger and better things. I don't know if the J.D. would hurt me there.

I know that the J.D. is an absolute necessity for many 1811 jobs, but if I decide to go to a bigger city in hopes of landing an investigative gig, I probably would have to start at patrol, thus the J.D. might be a detriment there, if what some of the people on here say is correct.
Bigger jobs? Say like the FBI? The bigger the city your in = the more dynamic the force will be. If you go somewhere like NJ that pays you 105k, I'm sure they'd be more inclined to pay someone with a JD then someone who just has a bachelors. Everyone wants to get their money worth and you'd be an extremely good investment.

I agree with the earlier post about maybe you should transfer schools because you don't seem challenged enough.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:50 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:59 pm

You were in the military, you know that things get worse before they get better. Have you ever considered that maybe it's the school you are at and not necessarily the whole profession? It's awfully hard to group all lawyers together when you really know just how many different areas of practice there are. Maybe you need a good internship/externship to show you what the profession is really like, because law school is a poor reflection of it.

Just curious, what school are you at that you could slack off that much and still do well (you're obviously intelligent, I'm not questioning that). PM me if you care to tell.

edit: remember why a J.D. is more prestigious than an MBA... you're getting a DOCTORAL degree

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:free + jd degree = stay
+ 1000000000000000000. If you were driving yourself into debt that would be one thing. Get that degree! It will be infinitely worth what you paid for it no matter what you do in life. And lost income is overrated. The degree is worth the slog, especially given your apparent talent for law school (i.e. not studying and making top 10%).

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:33 am

ShiftyPig wrote:This thread definitely deserves a

half_farang

New

Post by half_farang » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 am

it sounds like you already made your decision.

Why waste more time of your life doing something that you hate?

Don't force unhappiness upon yourself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:11 am

What the fuck is wrong with you people resurrecting a thread that's lain dormant for 4 months? Do you think that at this point in the 2nd semester the OP even gives a shit about what any of you have to add?

half_farang

New

Post by half_farang » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:35 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:What the fuck is wrong with you people resurrecting a thread that's lain dormant for 4 months? Do you think that at this point in the 2nd semester the OP even gives a shit about what any of you have to add?

Didn't actually check the date. In either case you seem to be overly bothered by the situation. I also think that a lot of times the advice given doesn't solely benefit the OP. Tons of people read posts because the subject relates to them.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Regarding changing the world... I have a word for you. Spannungsbogen.

It means: delayed gratification.

Real change isn't going to happen by the time you're 30 or 40 or even 50, so accept that now and move forward. Even in the most corrupt system you can do some good if you keep your focus.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 pm

OP, you're really being an asshole here. So let's see, you went into school with the absurd and self-involved delusion that someone was going to pay you oodles of money to "make a difference in the world" because gosh you're so magical and special that you clearly deserve a huge salary for the gifts you will bestow on mankind.

Then you did ONE SEMESTER of law school and suddenly everything you imagined the profession to be was shattered! It turns out that the once noble profession of law is no longer worthy of your presence because it has become too corrupt!

Then you managed to make top 10% at your TIER 4 law school and somehow this qualifies you to have complete contempt for legal education, since the exams you took do not qualify as "lawyering" (did anyone ever suggest they did?).

Whether you stay in school or not, what you really need to do is get over yourself.

EDIT: oh, I see this is an old thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”