ITT (post-pg 4) we discuss OperaSoprano's awesomeness

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What now?

Don't do it, graduate from LS in 2.5 years and realize an even larger debt while unemployed
46%
Return home to live with parents in quiet shame and despair until they disown me for being an abject failure
26%
Shoot myself in the head with a large caliber bullet
28%

Total votes: 149

Bankhead

Re: Dropping out of lawl school

Postby Bankhead » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:07 pm

vandylaw2013 wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:So much shame, so much dishonor. Do you know how much your ancestor break back for you? Do you eva appreciate your parent for what zey done fo' you? How you do zis? You sink money jus' grow on the tree? You sink you can-uh just queet wis no trying? You are dog shit. Smelly dog shit. Yo' cousin and yo brotha and all yo friends go to medeeco schoo' and you cannot even-uh feenish one year? Oh, you so done now. Soooo losa'. You not my son anymo'. No mo'. No son.

Wow... holy racism.

Wow... holy way too politically correct.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Bankhead wrote:
vandylaw2013 wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:So much shame, so much dishonor. Do you know how much your ancestor break back for you? Do you eva appreciate your parent for what zey done fo' you? How you do zis? You sink money jus' grow on the tree? You sink you can-uh just queet wis no trying? You are dog shit. Smelly dog shit. Yo' cousin and yo brotha and all yo friends go to medeeco schoo' and you cannot even-uh feenish one year? Oh, you so done now. Soooo losa'. You not my son anymo'. No mo'. No son.

Wow... holy racism.

TITCR, jesus.

vandylaw2013

Postby vandylaw2013 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
vandylaw2013 wrote:

Wow... holy racism.

TITCR, jesus.

If his comments were stereotyping black people, you'd all be disgusted.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:16 pm

vandylaw2013 wrote:If his comments were stereotyping black people, you'd all be disgusted.

Chris Rock making fun of black people -- socially acceptable humor
shadowfrost making fun of asian people -- socially acceptable humor

I'll give you one guess as to why (hint: same reason applies to both).

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Lxw wrote:
vandylaw2013 wrote:If his comments were stereotyping black people, you'd all be disgusted.

Shadowfrost is black?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your predicament OP.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm

As someone who hates law school, stick it out for another semester. Talk to your profs to see what you did wrong, go to tutoring, really focus on how to write an exam (which is at least as important as knowing the BLL). If you can get your second semester grades at (or preferably above median) it's probably worth sticking around. OCI isn't going to be pretty below median, but I suspect it's not nearly as ugly if you did a lot better the second semester than the first. They won't look at you the same as the kid that was median both semesters, but I imagine better than the kid whom you share a cumulative GPA with but was mediocre both semesters. Combine that with IP, and you should be okay. Cravath won't be courting you, but it will probably work out.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Nice try, but this instance isn't the double standard you are looking for. I'm actually Chris Tucker.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:12 pm

jayzon wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:

Nice try, but this instance isn't the double standard you are looking for. I'm actually Chris Tucker.

Shadowfrost, why didn't you tell me you were blackanese?

he's actually tiger woods

joshikousei

Postby joshikousei » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 pm

lxw, i'm sorry to hear about this. :|

But at this point...it's probably smarter to try to get a job as a patent agent that graduate in the bottom 20% of the class and find a job as a patent attorney, y'know?

it seems worth it to me to stick it out one more semester. that option won't close any doors for you (though it does sink you more into debt), but after that time and you have round ii of exams, you can re-evaluate. you can still do the above at any point, no?

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Im ineligible for patent bar so it may be a different hiring world for you guys, but have you done any self-marketing over the past semester? While it may not be easy for many of us, it still seems the easiest way to get a job. Of course this would cut into your studying time. Not saying this is a solution but it never hurts to play both sides of the game.

Applesaucer

Postby Applesaucer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:37 pm

If I were you my decision would depend on one thing: how much is it going to cost to finish up? If you can maintain the +$4k each semester, then you should probably stay because 25k isn't a lot of money for a law degree from a T25. If for some reason your debt per semester will substantially, or even moderately, increase you should not even think about staying. The whole "let's wait and see what happens" idea is a terrible idea if it is going to put you in a lot of debt when you already know you aren't going to graduate with good job prospects.

Most people are notorious for committing to their big decisions no matter how bad they turn out to be, but think of the time and money you will likely be saving by cutting ties.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Lxw wrote:

Shadowfrost is black?

This made me lol.

OP, only you can prevent forest fires. Er, I mean, decide this for yourself. Yeah, that's it.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 pm

betasteve wrote:Threads like this are disturbing and upsetting when you don't have grades.

Lxw, good luck with your decision, and all the best either way! Just keep in the foreground what it is that would make you happy, and work it out from there.

+1 (not about grades)

maybe less TLS?

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Stick it out. 4K is peanuts. Median at T25 is not such a horrible predicament when your interests are in IP. I say median assuming that you can improve this semester. Can you really give up TLS cold turkey??

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 am

JazzOne wrote:
Lxw wrote:

Shadowfrost is black?

+1

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Lxw, I didn't see this earlier. I'm sending you hugs. Smarter and braver people than I will give you real advice, but I hope you stay, if this is something you want to do.

:cry: <3

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:09 pm

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Bankhead wrote:
vandylaw2013 wrote:

Wow... holy racism.

+1. Vandylaw has effectively taken the sting out of my recent Vandy WLing.

Also, Lxw, I don't think I have very good advice for you as a 0L, but I wish you the best.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Stick it out for another semester. If you are still doing poorly, then drop out.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:08 am

If this turns out to be elaborate flame, I vote LXW gets flushed down the same toilet CE2JD was sent down :P

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:08 am

thesealocust wrote:If this turns out to be elaborate flame, I vote LXW gets flushed down the same toilet CE2JD was sent down :P

What do you mean "if"?

MTal

Postby MTal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 am

Lxw I don't know your situation, but I can tell you that I dropped out after 1L, found a good job, and am very happy with my life right now.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:32 am

MTal wrote:Lxw I don't know your situation, but I can tell you that I dropped out after 1L, found a good job, and am very happy with my life right now.

Lol

Too late. Flame.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 am

vanwinkle wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If this turns out to be elaborate flame, I vote LXW gets flushed down the same toilet CE2JD was sent down :P

What do you mean "if"?

I swear to god I'm going to kill him. I will so ban him for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Where is he?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”